News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Dark Skies  (Read 3193 times)

Offline faitherun (Fay-ith-er-run)

• Armies: Pointy Ears and bugs
Dark Skies
« on: October 13, 2014, 09:32:22 PM »
This is not a balanced list.

However, I am curious how people think this list would fare...

Realspace Raiders - 1850

135 Archon with SF, Huskblade, and soul trap
120 Archon with Armor of Misery, Huskblade, soul trap, and parasite kiss

166 7 wyches, with a hexatrik with agoniser, in a Raider with Nightshields and Sails
166 7 wyches, with a hexatrik with agoniser, in a Raider with Nightshields and Sails

155 Razorwing with NS and SC

160 Voidraven
160 Voidraven
160 Voidraven

Tactics
Not much to say here... Wyches and archon hide for a turn or two - then they strike - getting straight into assault.

Voidravens deal with enemy armor while Razorwing target infantry for the most part.

Biggest issue is only 6 units able to capture objectives, but those are condensed into just 2 targets.

Warlord trait hoping for is the Strategic Genius to help with reserves.

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 09:34:06 PM by faitherun (Fay-ith-er-run) »
So, what your saying is it's not your fault you look stupid by using words you don't get?
Flawless logic.

Offline Starrok

• Emerhelp - IT Outsourcing
  • Armies: Eldar + Dark Eldar allies
Re: Dark Skies
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2014, 05:34:24 AM »
My dream!

The only problem is dealing with control of your 9 flyers on the table. Would be easier if these had a Vector Dancer, but they haven't.

And well, archons will die VERY quickly :P Since the enemy essentially has noone else to shoot at.

You also might consider a mantled autarch on bike for reserve control and good survival at turn 1.
Teach yourself to be the light amongst the dark;
Stream as a river by the groaning dusts...

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2014, 07:52:37 AM »
My hope is by throwing the Archons into CC they can live longer and do more damage  :P

Any other weakneses you see?
So, what your saying is it's not your fault you look stupid by using words you don't get?
Flawless logic.

Offline Starrok

• Emerhelp - IT Outsourcing
  • Armies: Eldar + Dark Eldar allies
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2014, 08:35:37 AM »
Armor of Misery, Huskblade, soul trap, and parasite kiss

You can't take both the Armor of Misery and the Parasite's kiss, they are both relics, one per character.

The biggest weakness, as said, is lack of reserve control and very fragile units on the table at turn one, which risks you being tabled before your planes even get to combat. Against an Eldar opponent, for example, it's an almost guaranteed wipe.
Teach yourself to be the light amongst the dark;
Stream as a river by the groaning dusts...

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2014, 09:41:17 AM »
Armor of Misery, Huskblade, soul trap, and parasite kiss

You can't take both the Armor of Misery and the Parasite's kiss, they are both relics, one per character.
Damn, that's right. When I first wrote the list I had the Kiss on the other Archon, then as I wrote it on here I thought it'd pair better with the second one - him having the AoM (Armor of Misery) and all could see better use then a SF Archon.... Sigh, chuck it back up on the first one then... or  I could give one of them Haywire I guess...

The biggest weakness, as said, is lack of reserve control and very fragile units on the table at turn one, which risks you being tabled before your planes even get to combat. Against an Eldar opponent, for example, it's an almost guaranteed wipe.

Correct me If I am wrong, but it 7th ed if your on table army is wiped out, you can still bring in reserves right?

And the two raiders will be hidding like scared lil kids - perferable behind LOS blocking stuff - but a 3+ cover save should help them a bit too...
Flawless logic.

Offline Plastikente

• Back Online!
  • Armies: Craftworld Eldar, Dark Eldar, Tau
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2014, 04:00:02 PM »

Correct me If I am wrong, but it 7th ed if your on table army is wiped out, you can still bring in reserves right?

Sudden Death Victory (Rulebook p592 on my iPad, right before it talks about primary and secondary objectives) explains it: if you have nothing on the table at the end of a game turn, then you lose.  So you just have to get your little core force through Turn One without them all dying (barring really bad reserves dice).  That might be easier said than done though - I'd be more worried about heavy flamers in drop pods than CWE.

Offline Ludo

• Why, you ask. Why not?
  • Armies: Marines, Flesh Tearers, Dark Eldar, Guard, Tau
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2014, 04:37:53 PM »
I feel like a couple of tactical squads or dreads in drop pods would wipe you out turn 1.  Your other issue is objective control.  I'd drop the voidravens and get some MSU warrior squads in venoms.  I also think the night shields are superfluous.  You have six of them.  Focus down on any anti air on the turn they arrive and after that you shouldn't need to worry about it.
Smurf Hero Extrodinaire

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2014, 05:12:43 PM »

Sudden Death Victory (Rulebook p592 on my iPad, right before it talks about primary and secondary objectives) explains it: if you have nothing on the table at the end of a game turn, then you lose.  So you just have to get your little core force through Turn One without them all dying (barring really bad reserves dice).  That might be easier said than done though - I'd be more worried about heavy flamers in drop pods than CWE.

DOH! I was looking right over it... Eyes went from Victory Points to Primary Objectives and skipped that section all together... Pg 133 btw in the hardcover book.

I feel like a couple of tactical squads or dreads in drop pods would wipe you out turn 1.  Your other issue is objective control.  I'd drop the voidravens and get some MSU warrior squads in venoms.  I also think the night shields are superfluous.  You have six of them.  Focus down on any anti air on the turn they arrive and after that you shouldn't need to worry about it.

I agree. Was thinking of swapping half the Razorwings with Reavers. Need to work out the points for that. Pity our HQs are to damn stubborn to straddle a bike... >:(

So - modified List

Realspace Raiders - 1850

140 Archon with SF, Huskblade, and soul trap, and parasite kiss
115 Archon with Armor of Misery, Huskblade, soul trap

140 Razorwing with SC
140 Razorwing with SC
140 Razorwing with SC

181 6 Reavers with 2 blasters, and 2 cluster caltrops, one champion with an Agonsier
166 6 Reavers with 2 blasters, and 2 cluster caltrops, one champion with a power weapon
166 6 Reavers with 2 blasters, and 2 cluster caltrops, one champion with a power weapon

160 Voidraven
160 Voidraven
160 Voidraven

Tactics
Not much to say here... Wyches and archon hide for a turn or two - then they strike - getting straight into assault.

Voidravens deal with enemy armor while Razorwing target infantry for the most part.

Biggest issue is only 6 units able to capture objectives, but those are condensed into just 2 targets.

Warlord trait hoping for is the Strategic Genius to help with reserves.

Thoughts?
[/quote]
Flawless logic.