News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Eldar Corsairs, Pre-Heresy Dark Angels + World Eaters  (Read 330864 times)

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Re: Eldar Corsairs, Pre-Heresy Dark Angels + World Eaters
« Reply #1280 on: May 31, 2017, 10:38:27 AM »
This is looking brilliant so far Cavalier. The access doors on the sides look amazing. Will you leave the etched brass unpainted?

Really looking forward to seeing this in its finished condition.
Quote from: Starrakatt
"Russ, get your work done or you won't see your damn console for the next month!"
Quote from: Cavalier
Honestly Alienscar, we get it... you dont like painting!

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #1281 on: June 2, 2017, 02:45:13 PM »
@Saim-Dann- Hey Dann, thanks bud. Yeah the streaking effect is super easy. I do a nice liberal Nuln-Oil wash over the whole model. I then dry brush red in streaks in the opposite direction of how I want the smoke to trail. So as the red paint runs out on the brush, its does so where the I want the heaviest concentration of grimey black soot to be. I then do small streaks of drybrushed black to really emphasize it. Anyway thanks Dann cant wait to get this thing fielded. Hopefully soon!

@Alienscar- Hey Alienscar, thanks so much man. The brass etch is actually painted, it was just picking up a ton of glare so you couldn't see the washes. I'll make sure to snap some detail photos when the whole thing is done. I'm getting close!!! Anyway thanks man I always look forward to your feedback!

@Everyone- I'm getting close to finishing this thing! Man its been such a fun model to paint. FW does a great job having big open areas to really do good brush work on. They don't crowd out the model with lots of superfluous details, but instead focus on interesting shapes and angles across all major portions of the models. Despite being a nightmare to assemble (terrible, terrible kit, lovely aesthetics) its painting up great.

Super proud of my freehand markings, doing those faded World Eater legion markings and the assault symbol (copied from Heresy Book I). Was ULTRA nervous laying those down and then weathering them but they came out good. Hope you guys like them!

Also... in honor of 8th I just had to snap some photos of my Rangers + Illic with my new Eldar objective. Hope you like those too.

Anyway stay tuned guys. I'll be finishing up the Storm Eagle this weekend!
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Online Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
« Reply #1282 on: June 2, 2017, 06:18:09 PM »
Those Rangers sitting among the ruins are incredible.  They have the appearance of assassins, which in a way they are.  Hopefully, they will be seeing more action in eighth edition.
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
« Reply #1283 on: June 2, 2017, 11:32:05 PM »
Fan-freakin-tastic. The flyer looks great! I love the head swap on Illyac too. The Rangers are boss.
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #1284 on: June 3, 2017, 05:00:39 AM »
That Storm Talon looks incredible man! Absolutely stunning work, especially on the faded decals. They look absolutely top-notch.

Massive fan of the Rangers too. They look phenomenal as well :) what's your recipe for the black? I've been thinking of making a listening-cell of my Khaine's Ravens in an INQ28 style with a lot darker of a paint scheme, and getting a good way to do blacks would be really useful :)
Check out my Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders :)

Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders!

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
« Reply #1285 on: June 3, 2017, 06:25:02 AM »
Awesome work on that Storm Talon Cav. The weathering looks good, and the details and freehand are top notch. I agree with you that weathering freehand is probably the most nerve wracking thing a painter can do. It looks tremendous when it comes out right, but you are so acutely aware that if it goes wrong, all the freehand effort will have to be replicated.

The Rangers are superb. I'm a big fan of Rangers in general, and yours are some of the nicest I've seen. Hopefully with them targeting characters and dealing out mortal wounds in 8th, we'll see them get some good results on the tabletop!
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #1286 on: June 3, 2017, 08:35:15 AM »
@Irisado- Thanks so much Irisado. Yeah I totally went for the assassin look with these guys. I love these models to death... some of the best GW has ever made IMO. If you go waaaay back in the archive I painted up the first 5 in red and gold... but I made the crucial decision to actually go for a more stealthy look... which led to the aesthetic for my Scorpions as well. They are DEFINITELY going to see more action in my army lists. I'm pretty sure I'm gonna do everything I can to get Illic and a unit of Rangers in at LEAST the first 5 or so games. I'm gonna need it with the changes to Jetbikes no longer being troops. Anyway thanks Irisado always look forward to your excellent feedback. Thanks!

@Dread- Hey bro, thanks  ;D ;D ;D Glad you dig the head swap. Especially because the original head was miscast! Anyway thanks bud :)

@YnneadWraith- Thanks so much Ynnead. Really glad you like the vehicle markings... spent days figuring out where I wanted to put them (digging through the Heresy books) and if I was going to at all, but in the end I'm glad I did. As for my black recipe.... SUPER EASY! Chaos Black Primer, Eshin Grey first stage highlight, Dawnstone 2nd stage highlight DONE! You can take it up to Celestra... but it gives the model a more vinyl look as opposed to black leather, or worn black armor. I used the exact same approach on my Dark Angels and my Scorpions. Duncan from GW says to paint a thin, rough coat of Abaddon Black over Chaos Black models... but I've never had a problem with it. Also eshin grey is SUPER easy to work with. Any mistakes in highlighting can be blended out so easy... I hope the technique works for you because I've had so much fun painting up my all black units. Anyway thanks bud!

@Looshkin- Hey Loosh, thanks so much man. Your compliments on this particular model really mean a lot. You nailed it perfectly on the stress of doing those freehands and then weathering it. SUPER tense moments to be sure.  I was like "Should I just order the decals!?" but I'm glad I didn't.

Also super appreciate the comments on the Rangers. So truly thanks for that. Also I'm absolutley convinced they are gonna be great on the tabletop. Expect my Shadowstrike Band (Scorpions, Rangers and War Walkers) to represent in some bat-reps ASAP! Anyway thanks so much man you are the best!

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #1287 on: June 3, 2017, 09:53:47 AM »
Also I'm absolutley convinced they are gonna be great on the tabletop. Expect my Shadowstrike Band (Scorpions, Rangers and War Walkers) to represent in some bat-reps ASAP! Anyway thanks so much man you are the best!

As an Alaitoc man, I absolutely live and die by the stealth elements of my force, so the backbone is always Rangers, Scorpions and there are always War Walkers in there too. I'm really excited for these guys in the new edition. I'm fairly sure my Bro's Deathwing aren't looking forward to the raft of potential Mortal Wounds that I can dish out too! It's going to be exciting times!

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #1288 on: June 8, 2017, 01:34:13 PM »
@Looshkin- Hey bud, I think its a great time to be an Alaitoc guy then. I definitley plan on using Rangers a lot in the early goings. All the things that jive with an Alaitoc themed list should be awesome this edition. I'll have a lot of good intel for you too as I'm gonna have a ton of that stuff in my first list. Hopefully we can brainstorm together!  ;D ;D ;D

@Everyone- Hey guys so I finished the Storm Eagle! I actually finished it awhile ago but I was going to try and tie it in with another super update, but I got bogged down in some small projects along the way which aren't quite finished yet. So I'll have a bigger update later.

However here it is! I'm so pumped about getting it finished. From what I hear and what I've seen the Storm Raven looks fantastic... and its big brother the Storm Eagler will hopefully be even better!

So as I said previous really happy with my freehand markings. I'm even more happy I was able to replicate them on both sides of the vehicle. Also proud of the look of the engine coils on the top too. Wasn't sure what color to go with... thought about doing tourquouise which from a pure color theory approach would be better, but I Khorne isn't about aesthetics. its about badassery! So I had to keep it aggressive and I'm glad I did.

Anyway not much to say other than I'm happy its done! Can't wait to get this army on the tabletop. With the increase in points, I think that'll be easier to accomplish. Anyway stay tuned! Warp Talons, Eldar Jetbike retro-fitting and IMPERIAL GUARD is up next. Exciting times, stay tuned!
« Last Edit: June 8, 2017, 01:35:45 PM by Cavalier »

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #1289 on: June 8, 2017, 03:35:14 PM »
G'day Cavalier!
You SHOULD be proud of your work there, mate. The free hand, the detailing, the colour choices and the weathering all make for a magic looking beast. Your poor brother did such a fine job building the Eagle, just to have a couple of his Guardsmen shot up on it's base. I think he will reply to that with a few battle cannons.

You've done well, Cavalier. Keep up the inspiration! 

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #1290 on: June 9, 2017, 11:17:13 AM »

So as I said previous really happy with my freehand markings. Also proud of the look of the engine coils on the top too. Wasn't sure what color to go with... thought about doing tourquouise which from a pure color theory approach would be better, but I Khorne isn't about aesthetics. its about badassery!

Piggin hell Cavalier not only are you a phenomenal painter but now you are leaving excellent feedback for yourself  :)

Everything you are proud off is everything that I was going to compliment you on.

The freehand and aged markings are really impressive but there is something about the way you have painted the engine coils, cowls and missile nacelles that really grabs my attention.

Is the base a conversion or is it just the one that comes with the Eagle?
« Last Edit: June 9, 2017, 02:11:55 PM by Alienscar »
Quote from: Starrakatt
"Russ, get your work done or you won't see your damn console for the next month!"
Quote from: Cavalier
Honestly Alienscar, we get it... you dont like painting!

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #1291 on: June 9, 2017, 12:27:29 PM »
Great work Cav. As soon as I saw them, I thought that the Engine Coils were really the highlight of the model for me. That's not to say that the rest of the piece isn't phenomenal (It is); but to say that those fairly small, seemingly insignificant, details that most would probably just slap a dry brush on, are just wonderful. I also love the way that they act as a counterpoint to another spot colour - the blue of the rocket launcher thingamies. It's the little details like this that really elevate your models to the next level.

The rest of the piece is stunning too. The freehand, the weathering. Everything is top notch. Awesome work!

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #1292 on: June 9, 2017, 03:21:36 PM »
@Saim-Dann- Thanks so much bud. Really appreciate all the feedback you've given. Also... YES! My brother did work really hard, just to end up with dead Guardsmen on the base... However... he modeled the base up too! I don't know why he did it. I said we could use Eldar but he wanted Guardsmen... lol. He read that comment and loved it. Thanks so much bud!

@Alienscar- Hey I know I'm straying into non-Eldar armies.... but I'm an Eldar player at heart so you must come to expect an occasional overdoseof vanity on this project-log!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D All kidding aside, thanks so much Alienscar. Always happy when I see you dropped me a line. Thanks on the coils and missile racks I'm really happy with how they came out too. As for the base, it was converted up by my brother. He's really a phenomenal modeler and always goes above and beyond on the bases. Its been a ton of fun working with him on this project together. We are basically gonna work together to model and paint this army which will be great fun. Anyway thanks so much bud glad you like it!

@Looshkin- Hey Loosh thanks man. I was actually wondering specifically if you'd like the color choice on the coils. I'm super glad you like them. Like I said its not the correct "color-theory" choice but I think it was for the best. Also about the rocket launchers... thats actually boltgun metal.. but as you can see I'm picking up the blue sky from the next room over... which is crazy how reflective it is considering how much Nuln Oil I lathered on their! Anyway thanks so much man. Super glad you liked it, and I'm glad you noticed those coils! I really was thinking of you when I painted them up. Thanks as always bud, always great to see feedback from the forum's painter of the year in here!  ;D ;D ;D ;D

@Everyone- So guys I've got some cool updates for you next time. A little podcast news, a preview of an awesome Eldar commission I'm gonna be working on PLUS my 8th edition plans. Stay tuned!!! Talk to you all soon. Have a great weekend!

Offline Dread

• Warlock
« Reply #1293 on: June 10, 2017, 01:32:13 AM »
Looks great as always bud, but.....you're not done. Just my opinion but I think a little darker, smoke like effect behind each of the thrusters on each side would help with the weathered look. Just a suggestion from an old fart who can't acheive this on his own anymore, so now I try to give guidance, ya know that. But if you're done then it looks fantastic anyway. I may be just nitpicking tho. As far as the base, awesomaltastic! The body, pilot and those great missile pods, well you just deliver the goods always.
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #1294 on: June 11, 2017, 05:06:57 AM »
Man that looks nice! Go away for a few days and come back to this! Phenomenal work :)
Check out my Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders :)

Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders!

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #1295 on: June 12, 2017, 02:02:23 PM »
@Dread- Hey bro, thanks as always for your great feedback. I totally hear you! I actually weathered the crap out of the thrusters, but for some reason the metallics pickup crap loads of light from certain angles. I posted a better photo of the thrusters at the end of the post. Hope you like it!!! Thanks as always buddy.

@Ynneadwraith- Thanks so much Ynnead. Always look forward to your comments. Thanks bud  ;D

@Everybody- Hey gang so I'm back... deepstriking some content your way. Check out my first Warp Talon!

For Dread

So guys I am SOOOOO stoked for this army. I wanted jump dudes so bad... and GW has made them absolutely fantastic. With a guaranteed 3" to charge, and only dropping 9 inches away these guys are gonna be so scary. Really getting excited for the overall theme of how this army is going to work too... which is basically airborne World Eaters which is pretty scary if you think about it.

I'm not done with this guy yet but I'm so stoked about how he's coming out. Pretty much rolling with the fiery orange as the splash color for these guys after Looshkin's enthusiasm for the look of the Storm Eagle's engine coils. So let me know what you guys think! Again he's WIP but I'm so excited about the way they are coming out.

Alright thats it for now guys. Stay tuned and I'll be back soon!

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #1296 on: June 12, 2017, 02:20:31 PM »
G'day Cavalier!
Your style suits these bad boys, mate. Nice consistency with the orange. Did this fellow come positioned like that, or is he another of your manipulations?

Have brought up the same subject with SS82 so you may have read this before. Am not a fan of raised models like this one or some of the Harlequins. They look great, it's just a line of sight thing. I always sculpt them down to their bases.

This is a GW sculpting comment that has nothing to do with your painting nor positioning skill, Cavalier. The Talon and the thrusters look amazing... Be well!     

Offline Dread

• Warlock
« Reply #1297 on: June 12, 2017, 03:21:44 PM »
Now I see, that looks great. I the camera stuff, a bunch really.

I'm also jealous of the colors on the lightning claws, they look fantastic especially along with the armor colors he's turning out wicked.

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #1298 on: June 12, 2017, 03:40:40 PM »
Hey again, Cavalier!
Meant to comment on the blending of your reds. Was that red to black, or are you mastering the nul oil a little more? Looking good,mate!

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #1299 on: June 12, 2017, 05:39:06 PM »
I'm not done with this guy yet but I'm so stoked about how he's coming out. Pretty much rolling with the fiery orange as the splash color for these guys after Looshkin's enthusiasm for the look of the Storm Eagle's engine coils. So let me know what you guys think! Again he's WIP but I'm so excited about the way they are coming out.

Oh great. So in 3 years time when you go back and redo the entire army with a blue spot colour or something like that, you're going to blame me and my enthusiasm??!!!  ;)

Looks great Cav. I looked on my phone earlier and thought...nope. Needs a cold spot colour. Model is too warm all over.*

Then I got home and looked on a proper screen and it's totally changed my mind. It just works. I think maybe there could be a touch more silver somewhere to take away from all the warm tones, but I'm not sure where. The red looks kickass. The armour itself is just beautifully rich and well blended.I really like the darker golden tones. The claws are striking and really draw the eye. It's just terrific. Well done Cav!

*Yeah, because Khorne daemons always have a cold spot colour. Of course they don't. So why would Khorne marines? Stupid colour theory logic.