News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Tournament list: All Wraiths OR 2 unit Wraiths & 1 full Scarab unit?  (Read 2274 times)

Offline Galef

Since the drop of 6th ed, my tournament list has been Necrons (flyer spam + Imotehk).  I always fielded 4 Nightscythes, 1 Doom Scythe and 1 unit of Wraiths with a D-lord.

Recently my local meta has shifted towards larger ground forces.  So I am ditching the Doomscythe for more Wraiths.

My main force looks like this:

Imotehk
D-lord w/ MSS & Weave

Chorontek (for Imotehk), 3 Stormteks

4 minimum units of Guass Immortals in 4 Nightscythes

2 Annihilation Barges
---------------------------1420pts
for the other 580pts, I can't decide between these 2 options:

6 Wraiths w/ 4 P-casters (D-lord bodyguard)
5 Wraiths
5 Wraiths
------OR-----
10 Scarabs (possibly with D-lord)
6 Wraiths w/ 1 P-caster (b/c I had extra pts)
6 Wraiths w/ 1 P-caster (b/c I had extra pts)

The all Wraith option gives me multiple similar threat coverage, while the mixed option gives my more versatility.

I like the P-casters with Preferred Enemy in the all Wraith option.  Gives me more option to pop a transport and charge the contents.

The Scarab option appeals to me more, but I have seen too many games where my scarabs had no viable targets to charge before they were blown off the table.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 09:12:45 PM by Galef »
Glenn's GW model Blog: Glenn's GW Models

Current Armies:
Aeldari: Glenn's GW Minis: Eldar and Dark Eldar

Offline Davinder

• KoN Veteran
  • Is there nothing Gauss technology can't do
Re: Tournament list: All Wraiths OR 2 unit Wraiths & 1 full Scarab unit?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2013, 06:18:41 AM »
I'm leaning toward the second option. But I'd put the Destroyer Lord with a unit of wraiths and not the scarabs, along with all the particle casters (from all the spare points) so that they can benefit from the Lord's Preferred Enemy.

Offline Galef

Re: Tournament list: All Wraiths OR 2 unit Wraiths & 1 full Scarab unit?
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2013, 11:23:45 AM »
Thanks for the reply! ;D  I know that's the better option, but it kills my OCD.  I like having multiples of the exact same option, with the third being different.

With the scarab option I will be using the scarabs to advance forward in the center, while the Wraiths flank.  The idea is to have the D-lord close enough to either Wraith unit to join them in a turn I want to charge, effectively extending the D-lords threat range.

Having the D-lord in the Scarab unit makes it a bigger threat to distract my opponent from shooting my Wraiths.
------------------------
My only hesitation with the all Wraith option is that I own 6 Wraith models and 10 converted out of Preatorian torso backs and scratch-built tails.

I am very pleased with the conversions as the are bigger than the old metal Wraiths, but they are still smaller then the new Plastics.

I am afraid that my opponent will see the bigger unit with the D-lord and focus fire on it, forcing the D-lord to switch units.

Current Armies:

Offline Davinder

• KoN Veteran
  • Is there nothing Gauss technology can't do
I am afraid that my opponent will see the bigger unit with the D-lord and focus fire on it, forcing the D-lord to switch units.

Might not be such a bad thing, at least it takes the pressure of the rest of your army.

You could try taking a second destroyer lord, and have both lead the units of wraiths down the flanks with the scarabs in the center. your opponent wouldn't know what to shoot at first :D.

Offline Galef

I can't run 2 D-lords, as there would be no way to get the Crypteks that make the Immortal units so good.

However, I tried out the Scarab/Wraith units list and having the D-lord in the Scarab unit really made my opponent have to choose his targets.  Eventually 1 of the 2 Wraith units was dead, but the other was untouched and ran through his Marines.

Current Armies:

Offline Spectral Arbor

• Major
  • Thanks for the help.
I would view your Scarabs as an incredible force multiplier. Given the large amount of high volume strength 6 and 7 attacks in your army, being able to drop the AV of a Land Raider / Russ / Battlewagon / Predator by even 2 points would make those weapons soooo powerful. Against lesser vehicles, you're probably wrecking one a turn with a couple of Tesla Destructors.

Being inexperienced with Necrons, I wonder if you might be better off with a pair of smaller Scarab squads, and a single large Wraith unit? That way, you could cripple, then kill, two vehicles a turn, and still have a real hammer unit to smash things with. If your opponent is running mostly infantry, then you could use the scarabs as tie-ups for shooty infantry, while your Destructors deal death to choppy infantry... and your Wraiths do their thing.

Like I said, I don't have any meaningful experience with 'crons, so that may not be viable. :)

Offline Galef

I wonder if you might be better off with a pair of smaller Scarab squads, and a single large Wraith unit? That way, you could cripple, then kill, two vehicles a turn, and still have a real hammer unit to smash things with. If your opponent is running mostly infantry, then you could use the scarabs as tie-ups for shooty infantry, while your Destructors deal death to choppy infantry... and your Wraiths do their thing.

This is actually want I have been using in casual games since the Codex dropped.  When I tried it in a Tournament setting, I found that the scarabs just die, or are too small to make a difference.  Likewise, having only 1 Wraith unit made it too easy for my opponent to focus fire and kill them.

Thanks for the replies everyone, I think I am set with the Scarab/double Wraith combo.

Current Armies: