News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Prot's Alaitoc VS. Mymeara: Pics and Questions....  (Read 3876 times)

Offline prot

• Infinity Circuit | KoN Veteran
  • Prot ZA113
Prot's Alaitoc VS. Mymeara: Pics and Questions....
« on: June 26, 2011, 10:34:19 AM »
Hey guys,

I've been playing Alaitoc for a long time (it's my 3rd Eldar army, the first two being Ulthwe).

I've been thinking of changing over my paint scheme based on some experimental painting, and I've come to a crossroads and would appreciate a general opinion. (I always have problems making this sort of decision.... I think it took me 3 months, and 3 falcon test models to decide I wasn't going to do Sam Haim!!!)

Anyway, here's a bit of my Alaitoc history. I know you want to see pics but let me get this out of the way..... I started Alaitoc after getting bored of painting black on Ulthwe. The stippled effect of Alaitoc, and the Ranger/Pathfinder element intrigued me (but this was before sniper rifle/rend nerf).

This was what I came up with. These pictures are older, they do suck a bit, but you'll have to use your imagination. ;)

ALAITOC SECTION:
Fire Prism:

Falcon:

Wraithlord: (don't get caught up in the starfield, I'd like you to look at the body painting please.)

Pathfinders:

Alaitoc Farseer, counts as Eldrad (I've seen this picture used on internet stores to sell the model, so it can't be THAT bad!) Way too much flash light, but oh well...

That's the Prot's Alaitoc part of the thread. What do you think? I do have more aspect pics but I want to focus on the Craftworld theme. Especially the vehicles....

Now fast forward several months (years?) and I started to enjoy developing my own blue-ish "monochromatic" theme.  These are NOT finished, but I consider them an extension of my Alaitoc theme, but on 'infantry'. I am using a LOT of blending, and a spectrum of colours that only belong to the blue/green family.

MONOCHROMATIC GONE BLUE SECTION:

Again, NOT complete, but you will get the idea from these pictures:

A squad of Farseer, and Warlocks. INCOMPLETE, but the blues are done.

The Farseer, again incomplete, ONLY the blues are done:

Another angle:

So that is what I was moving towards. The down side is they take an exceptionally long time to paint, but I was happy with the result.

Question: Does the above scheme 'fit' with Alaitoc? Or have I deviated to far? Should I use that infantry scheme with the current Alaitoc vehicle scheme I have? Will it fit together? If not, I don't think I can do my 'new' blue scheme on vehicles.( I'm not sure how to translate all that blending/washing/re-blending with vehicles. It would probably turn out a lot duller.....)

I also have a near complete squad of Guardians with the above 'monochromatic blue' theme in mind but it is simpler than the HQ theme.

MYMEARA SECTION:

Low and behold I have been knee deep in my blue/green monochromatic look and Mymeara comes out. It's very different, but how did they do this? What colours do you think these are? I know it looks airbrushed, but how do you think they did it?

Here again, still Mymeara, but slightly different. No real greens here, almost looks like Space Wolves light blue, and a lighter blue air brushed in spots: Would you agree?

I personally like the look of the Phantom Titan scheme a little better. (It is also featured on most of the IA 11 Mymeara vehicles.) What colour combo do you think it is?

Now I am tempted to just go from Alaitoc to this Mymeara Craftworld. I believe my monochromatic experiment is somewhere in the middle of the two looks.

I'm afraid after years of looking at my Alaitoc scheme I am unable to decide if it measures up to Mymeara. During my monochromatic experimenting, I stared a vehicle, with a design pattern painted on it. It did NOT turn out as well as I hoped. The blue was not like my Alaitoc stipple pattern. Instead it was a stronger, solid blue base colour, on a 'sandy/bone' engine/weapon underbelly, and I kind of gave up on it.

So aside from the colour questions I ask above (which I'd appreciate some thoughts on), what do you guys think of what I'm doing with my Alaitoc, my mono-blue scheme, versus Mymeara?

Like I said I feel I've lost touch a bit with my Alaitoc because I've been doing it so long.

Many thanks for reading this.

« Last Edit: June 26, 2011, 08:58:36 PM by prot »

Offline Tallarn Commander

• Armies: IG, Chaos
Re: Prot's Alaitoc VS. Mymeara: Pics and Questions....
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2011, 12:54:12 AM »
Prot,

You have a very impressive collection of models.  I hope my nascent Altansar Eldar some day look half as good.

Both color schemes are fantastic.  However, like you, I am leaning toward the Mymeara scheme because the blue-green tone is a warmer, happier tone to me.

Tallarn Commander,

IG, "We are many.  They are few."

Offline Lachdonin

• Warlock
  • Education is no substitute for Intelligence.
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2011, 12:45:21 PM »
Honestly, i find FW's scheme to lack depth. I just don't find the colours to mesh well together. Maybe if it was more like your Wraithlord, and used all bone instead of the white...

Anyway, i think your blue scheme has alot of potential, particularly if you finish up the bone to act as a warm counterpart to the cool blues. Really, i'd rather see the potential of the blue than FW's rather (IMO) lack luster Eldar.
Remember, you can make yourself a Hero, but only others can make you a God.

Offline prot

• Infinity Circuit | KoN Veteran
  • Prot ZA113
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2011, 03:53:45 PM »
ok, I'm afraid to reply to this post because I want to post a picture I'm working on.... but I know they hate 'bumps' of any sort here... so I probably won't edit this post later....

I'm working pretty hard on an 'inbetween' scheme.

I decided that I agree with Lachdonin... the Forgeworld scheme is basic, and perhaps you'd say it lacks depth. I'll give you that. But the colour pallet really stands out to me.

What I did is take the basic white underlay (not quite sure about that...) and did a night spinner up in a 3 colour Airbrush blend.

It literally took me over an hour just to do the basic airbrushing... maybe 2 hours? It took a long time to get the three  colours blending properly....

Then I realized what makes the Forgeworld stuff flat.... I had to go back and deepen the crevaces and 'pop out' the vehicle with some very fine, 3 level highlighting.

I did not finish the vehicle yet, but it might be worth posting a WIP of it at this point here so I can get feedback. No sense doing 'gems', and full out weapons at this stage.

I'm not sure what you mean by filling out the bone work on my Alaitoc, but as much as I adored the old scheme, I think the stippling effect gets _very_ little respect at tournaments. That might be just me...

Thank you Tallarn Commander for the kind words. :)

Offline Lachdonin

• Warlock
  • Education is no substitute for Intelligence.
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2011, 04:16:33 PM »
I meant the rune armour on the Seer's, and add some shading to their weapons. And i was refering more to the monochrome blue rather than the stippling.
Remember, you can make yourself a Hero, but only others can make you a God.

Offline enlg

• I like editing stuff.
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2011, 08:01:10 PM »
Just to let you know, while many people use plan old farseers as Eldrad, to make him WYSIWIG for a tournament/competitive play, he should have both his special artifact (I.E. his Staff) in addition to a pistol and a normal witchblade. These 3 things are what make him different from farseers, he has 3 weapons, and farseers can only have 2 at most.

Offline fattymaroon

« Reply #6 on: July 6, 2011, 02:41:06 AM »
I would call your monochromatic scheme Alaitoc without a doubt. I think it looks better than the blue/yellow scheme that purists at tournaments may be calling you out for not following. While it's more of a stretch to call the turquoise blue scheme on the titan Alaitoc, I don't think it's an unreasonable one. If you were to use it sparingly I think you could effectively highlight certain models in your army without detracting from the overall theme of the Alaitoc army.

From reading your posts in this thread it sounds to me like you are unhappy with your original Alaitoc scheme on your skimmers, specifically the stippling. While I would not be one to criticize them, it's ultimately up to you to decide whether or not they are up to your standards of painting. For me, one of the things I've rather enjoyed with painting is seeing the slow gains I have made in my ability to paint miniatures over time. I enjoy being able to see the progress and so I wouldn't choose to repaint my old models, but again, if you are unhappy with the way they look or fit in with your other models then you should consider repainting.

Offline Mr.Peanut (Turtleproof)

• Ride Like Lightning, Crash Like Thunder | Infinity Circuit | Pork Sword of Mod-Justice | Took the basket, nuts and lol | Good grief, ye hennie pennies
  • Ancient
  • Turtleposting At The Speed Of SHift
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Eldar, Sigmarines, Chaos, Demons
« Reply #7 on: July 6, 2011, 09:56:42 AM »
The Fire Prism looks great, (the prism crystal is stunning) I like your old scheme overall.  The tanks look great and fit the scheme, both with almost no yellow. 

The monochromatic scheme is also excellent, it has a more dramatic feel to it (the staging of the shots probably helps).  You said it's incomplete and I agree, but not so much because of the brushwork, it is missing a contrast color.  In the original scheme, I feel like the shade of yellow used on the Rangers and Farseer clashes.  It's Bad Moon Yellow instead of a richer color like Golden Yellow, isn't it?  Whether you make the yellow darker or lighter, anything is better than bright mustard yellow.  I think strategic use of light yellow would compliment the monochrome scheme very well (namely on the faceplates, which aren't finished anyway).  I like the copper on the chestpieces.
You are
What you do
When it counts
     -The Masao
"Getting what you want can be dangerous.