News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: New Recruit [cheaper alternatives to Citadel paints?]  (Read 4730 times)

Offline General Alarm

• Newest
New Recruit [cheaper alternatives to Citadel paints?]
« on: February 11, 2009, 12:13:06 PM »
Evening all from sunny Glasgow!

Just a quick question for my first ever post here. I am currently getting together an IG army for my first foray into the world of 40k (and GW!).

Seems to me the GW paints are a bit pricey, can you point me in the direction of alternatives that don't cost an arm and a leg?

Same thing for basecoat spray, seems well overpriced.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 03:07:48 PM by Mr.Peanut »

Offline MoonMan

Re: New Recruit
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2009, 12:41:15 PM »
Armory primer (I think it's an American company, so I don't know if it's available in the UK) is usually about half the price of GW primer. I've also heard of people using automotive primer, though I have no idea about the cost of that. I'm sure someone here knows.

As for alternative paints, Reaper has a well-established line of paints that I believe are somewhat cheaper. Plus they come in really good squeeze bottles that are reusable.

Welcome to 40kOnline (and the hobby, and IG)!
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

My Blood Pact army blog: http://techpriest.blogspot.com (now updated regularly!)

Offline Lt_PliskinAJ

• Captain
  • Thousands of troops one goal.
  • Armies: IG, DKOK, TAU, SM
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2009, 02:09:16 PM »
Any spray primer will work. I have used all sorts of them and they all have about the same results. The onlything I would suggest is to use a black primer as it makes the models look darker. I have never had good luck with the light undercoats. I recently started using Vallejo paints and they seem to work really well and they seem to last longer then most because you don't have the problem of the paints drying out. But I now use both Vallejo and testors and it works well.

Offline The_Outcast

• Infinity Circuit
  • I am the only one who left willingly.
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2009, 12:41:03 AM »
Most of my paints are actually Americana.  Its water based you can get it at Micheals, Hobby Lobby, etc. Real cheap about a dollar or so, but some of the colours (yellow, red, and a couple of the really really dark colours) don't cover very well and it takes a couple of coats but, other than that they work great. And it pretty easy to match with GW stuff, not exactly the same but they are really close.

The_Outcast

Offline Unholy Worm

Re: New Recruit [cheaper alternatives to Citadel paints?]
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2009, 03:24:39 PM »
I use Tamiya mostly (it's from Japan, but is sold in other countries too), it's an enamel paint and leavs almost no stains and it's cheaper that GW paint. Besides, if you use a solvent (or mix clear alcohol with 50% water), then you'll have enough to use it for half a year!
A wise man never fears, a man afraid does not thinck!

Offline DJ-of-E

• Slow Painter is Slow
    • DJ-of-E's 40k Album
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2009, 04:56:49 PM »
We need to sticky a thread about "alternative paints" or "alternative primers" and their benefits or what not because I'm seeing them once every month.

Offline jawmonkey

• My disgust for you is only matched by my rage.
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2009, 05:00:40 PM »
I prefer Testors paints, but I like uniform solid colors (and hate washes and highlights) I also use some generic acrylics that I get in the craft department (of Wal-Mart, but you don't have those), I use them for the little highlighting, drybrushing stuff that I do use.
Throwing feces in the eye of insolence.

Check out my terrain tutorial!, New chapter; plasticard watch tower added 11-6-11!

Also,examples of my many armies;  pics of all sorts of huge commissions

Offline Jehan-Reznor

• The Dude in Japan
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2009, 05:45:48 PM »
I use Tamiya mostly (it's from Japan, but is sold in other countries too), it's an enamel paint and leavs almost no stains and it's cheaper that GW paint. Besides, if you use a solvent (or mix clear alcohol with 50% water), then you'll have enough to use it for half a year!
Tamiya also has Acrylic paints the small thin pots are the enamel types while the bigger flatter pots are the acrylic paints.

I use it a lot (other paint is somewhat difficult in Japan)
"this can't be happening, Man!"
my projects;
http://www.40konline.com/community/index.php?topic=169427.0 budhhist space marines
http://www.40konline.com/community/index.php?topic=163611.0 Doombringer my space marine chapter
http://www.40konline.com/community/index.php?topic=150109.0 Hello Kitty Space Marine Army