News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 40K Sixth edition "leak" - Ooooh nurse!  (Read 22790 times)

Offline syth773

Re: 40K Sixth edition "leak" - Ooooh nurse!
« Reply #120 on: January 31, 2012, 01:39:24 AM »
I'm thinking that this is a GW product, but very very early in the planning process.  Probably something they made while tossing ideas around.  Remember they wanted 6th ed to be the final ed, something they could build all future updates off of so they may have tried to revamp the system.  Naturally a lot of those changes would not make it through to the final product.

The only other explanation I can think of is that this may have been the home made rules of a group that someone took and published to make it look like a GW product.  Maybe they thought they had a set of rules that were better than GW's so they put it out making it look like 6th ed so when the real 6th ed comes out and is completely different, they can say "see, my version is better, us it instead of GW's."

other than that I can't think of why someone would take the time to write an entire rule set when it's going to be tossed aside as soon as the real thing comes out.

I just wish GW weren’t quite so tight lipped about this stuff.

Offline Spacefrisian

• This is no Zaku
« Reply #121 on: January 31, 2012, 03:42:20 AM »
Where did you read the idea that 6th ed may be the final one?
Prey i don't take you alive

Offline HORDE

• Infinity Circuit
    • Horde's Deathwing Blog
« Reply #122 on: January 31, 2012, 04:52:36 AM »
I doubt Alesio is part of the gw design team, i think you know why.

But Alessio was part of the design team when 6th edition was in its infancy. So it *could* be the design team's first crack at doing the game from the ground up. Alessio left because GW corporate wouldn't let him making the large amount of changes he wanted to.

However this document is as much a copy/paste job as it is innovative rules writing. Let it die until July.
If you roll enough dice - everything dies eventually.
My Deathwing Blog

Offline Arquarian

• Infinity Circuit
  • all is dust...
« Reply #123 on: January 31, 2012, 06:20:06 AM »
I think we're all getting close to the real situation here in that this isn't 6th Ed.... in its finished form but could possibly be an earlier / taster of what could / may / possibly be in 6th ed.

And here's my reasoning....

GW is a corporate entity i.e.run by bean counters (accountants). As such they would be mind bogglingly daft not to do any market research. Now I don't know about you but I don't remember seeing a survey form in the post nor do I remember hearing of any cold calling going on and there's only some much sales records can tell you. One3 thing they can't tell you is future sales of an as of yet defined product. This "leak" is or at least possibly is an unorthodox way of carrying out market research.

One thing also points me to think that these rules and the codex updates are possibly legit. If you read the recently released Codex Necrons and the IA11 books some of the entries are a little 'hmm' to say the least. some of you will know what I'm talking about. One instance in the inclusion of the Witchblade on the Voiddreamer entry in the corsair list. Then if you look at the game mechanics of the leaked rulebook and the codex updates these strange options and rules in the legit codex and IA11 books start to make more sense.

If we're right then GW will be looking to see how we all tear the rules up and exploit any rules and nuiances and how the rules will go down with us the customers. and most importantly will we go buy it!

I think there has been a bit of a backlash against some of the rules / codex put out in the past (I for one put my chaos marines away after the new codex came out) GW (or any corporation) will not want this to happen especially if the core rules don't go down well. 

I don't think the leaked rules are 6th ed but I'm willing to believe they are teasers / testers / ideas.

If we're right then we should do GW a favour and stop discussing the legitality (Bushism) and tell them how these proposed rules will effect us and the impact they will have on our hobby activity i.e.  do we buy into it and hence spend more money on he hobby. Or will we all go play WM  ;D

Where did you read the idea that 6th ed may be the final one?
yep, 6th ed will NOT be the final version. GW will continue to re invent the wheel otherwise there is no commercial impetus and therefore no comercial future.

Offline HORDE

• Infinity Circuit
    • Horde's Deathwing Blog
« Reply #124 on: January 31, 2012, 08:52:28 AM »
I think we're all getting close to the real situation here in that this isn't 6th Ed.... in its finished form but could possibly be an earlier / taster of what could / may / possibly be in 6th ed.
It's not. it isn't. I have confirmation from a 6th edition playtester that the rules he tested are quite far removed from the "leak". He did say they're still awesomefuntimes though.

And here's my reasoning....

GW is a corporate entity i.e.run by bean counters (accountants). As such they would be mind bogglingly daft not to do any market research. Now I don't know about you but I don't remember seeing a survey form in the post nor do I remember hearing of any cold calling going on and there's only some much sales records can tell you. One3 thing they can't tell you is future sales of an as of yet defined product. This "leak" is or at least possibly is an unorthodox way of carrying out market research.
a logical conclusion, but missing key premises that would invalidate it. Namely, to secure the Hobbit licensing, GW had to provide assurances and proof that they had no security issues. The leak would invalidate this, and they have paid a fair sum of money for that license, so any bean counter worth their salt are not going to license such a leak.
Second, the leak was early-mid january. If it was a leak for feedback, it would have been done much earlier as the books are already at the printers stocking up for july/august.

One thing also points me to think that these rules and the codex updates are possibly legit. If you read the recently released Codex Necrons and the IA11 books some of the entries are a little 'hmm' to say the least. some of you will know what I'm talking about. One instance in the inclusion of the Witchblade on the Voiddreamer entry in the corsair list. Then if you look at the game mechanics of the leaked rulebook and the codex updates these strange options and rules in the legit codex and IA11 books start to make more sense.
circumstantial at best. We can imagine there will be changes to Witchblades and preferred enemy from the two points you made, but that's about it.

yep, 6th ed will NOT be the final version. GW will continue to re invent the wheel otherwise there is no commercial impetus and therefore no comercial future.
there was a theory posited on another popular forum that 6th would form a core ruleset that could be built on by expansions, like the Warmahordes and Malifauxs of this world. It may or may not be legit, but it moves away from an established, successful model.
If you roll enough dice - everything dies eventually.
My Deathwing Blog

Offline Azonalanthious

• Biker Nob | KoN Veteran
  • When in doubt, use more explosives.
« Reply #125 on: January 31, 2012, 10:14:58 AM »
It's not. it isn't. I have confirmation from a 6th edition playtester that the rules he tested are quite far removed from the "leak". He did say they're still awesomefuntimes though.

I so don't get why people bother to post something like this.  "My completely baseless claim on the internet that can't be verified in any way is more legitimate then other random internet claims because I say it is."  Really, you have no way, whatsoever to prove that you know what you are talking about or have any legitimate insight.  Understand, I'm not saying you don't know what you are talking about and don't have legitimate insight.  Its just that you have absolutely no way to prove that this is the case.  So there is no point in claiming something like this, true or otherwise.

a logical conclusion, but missing key premises that would invalidate it. Namely, to secure the Hobbit licensing, GW had to provide assurances and proof that they had no security issues. The leak would invalidate this, and they have paid a fair sum of money for that license, so any bean counter worth their salt are not going to license such a leak.
Second, the leak was early-mid january. If it was a leak for feedback, it would have been done much earlier as the books are already at the printers stocking up for july/august.

Except that "we are going to intentionally and knowing leak a version online for market research" is not a security issue, its a marketing and research tactic.  An unintentional leak is a security issue, not an intentional one.  As for 'already at the printers' I'm no expert on the publishing industry, but I regularly buy Baen publishing's 'eArc' releases which are non-proofed/finished electronic versions of books.  And the eArcs are generally out two or fewer months before the book's actual release -- in other words, the books clearly aren't finished and ready to be sent to the printers 2 months before release.  So I find the idea that gamesworkshop already has their book completely finalized and printing 8 months ahead of time questionable.

circumstantial at best. We can imagine there will be changes to Witchblades and preferred enemy from the two points you made, but that's about it.

So is every argument made on either side of the line.  Its all deductions people are making from highly limited facts or 2nd/3rd party heresy evidence.  There is nothing out there that is proof at this point, and almost certainly won't be prior to the actual release.  So folks who want to speculate can only look at circumstantial and heresy evidence and try and draw a conclusion.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 10:17:31 AM by Azonalanthious »

Offline Arquarian

• Infinity Circuit
  • all is dust...
« Reply #126 on: January 31, 2012, 10:51:15 AM »
@Hoarde
I agree that one of my points was circumstantial but that's all I have to go on and therefore I'm, willing to believe it. I personally don'#t think its that far fetched (I also like to believe I'm not a gullible person  ::)

I believe Azonalanthious has it regarding the missing premise in my logic. Leaked materials have been long used in marketing tactics. Its unorthodox here in this industry but then how else do you do cheap market research?

In my line of work I don't work in a Publishing house but I do deal in publishing and I can say that it does not take that long after the material is sent to the printers to have it printed, bound, packed and shipped.  Maybe I'm wrong, maybe GW use rubbish printers...

Another point would be the all the mistakes found in GW material. I think we all know they do not proof read their material (which is a massive shame all you GW guys reading this!) so them having made the leak mid-Jan is still plausible for a July/Aug release.

Consequently, you "Know" 6th Ed is to be released then, for sure ???

But after all that, if you "know" these rules are fake then why are you bothering to critisise? I mean your entire last post was to counter another. You didn't really say anything of any substance. Why not just lets us get on with our folly and waste our time, its surely no skin off your nose.

OR....... you could like I said, go in with the spirit of things and actually discuss the intricacies of these changes....

Offline Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
« Reply #127 on: January 31, 2012, 10:02:28 PM »
[gmod]And on that note we are done here. You guys have gone from discussing the "leak" to berating each other for not having a creditable enough source.[/gmod]
*click*
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...