News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Rx8's Double Trouble Warhost for list comp  (Read 1446 times)

Offline Rx8Speed

Rx8's Double Trouble Warhost for list comp
« on: July 24, 2015, 10:15:13 AM »
Craftworld Warhost:

Regents of the Warhost:

Living Legends:
The Avatar of Khaine

Living Legends:
The Avatar of Khaine (not a typo, yes double avatar)

Guardian Stormhost:
Farseer: witchblade
3 Vaul's Wrath Support Batteries: vibro cannons
1 Vyper: EML
1 warwalker: 2x bright lances, spirit stones, star engines
15 storm guardians + warlock leader: 2x power weapons, 2x fusion guns

Aspect Host:
10 Howling Banshees incl. Exarch: Executioner
10 Howling Banshees incl. Exarch: Executioner
10 Striking Scorpions incl. Exarch: Scorpion's Claw

So we've got 6 strong (and FAST) combat units, 2 avatars moving full speed, 4 psykers, and 3 support units with some anti-tank abilities. Everything is moving a total 12" per turn so for a foot slogging army it can cover a lot of ground. I feel this list would do well in Age of Sigmar

I've obviously made some questionable decisions in this army so I'll do my best to explain them.

The first one is obviously WTF 2 AVEETARZ? Well, since he's doesn't have the 'unique' keyword there is no reason why you can't take two. A lot of the success of this army depends the avatar's auras and having two gives me some much needed redundancy. It also allows me to spread the aura over more of the battle field. Also I would love to see two avatars charge an imperial knight and curb stomp it with their new high strength CC attacks.

The vyper was given the EML because I would like to use it as an objective holder and the EML gives it range and ability to add to any part of the battle, even from a distance.

The warwalker has the star engines and spirit stones because I plan on outflanking with him and those two upgrades gives him a good chance to get a second round of full BS shooting.

The storm guardians have fusion guns because I don't want to kill too many models with flamers and comprimize my charge distance. Also I needed more anti tank. It also gives me the option of popping rhinos and charging the juicies inside.

The other good thing about this army is that if you play against tyranids or orks you are destined to have one of the greatest games of 40k ever

Offline Eldrad Da Bad

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Re: Rx8's Double Trouble Warhost for list comp
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2015, 08:09:40 PM »
im just afraid your going to get owned by bolter fire/tau firewarriors with no transports your really exposed and a 5+ cover isn't going to help much. it does move very fast which is cool. personally i love wave serpents and jetbikes, this army might do really well with a few raiders from DE. again just afraid that basic guns will wreck your day...

Offline Rx8Speed

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2015, 11:27:27 AM »
The stormies will definitely hate small arms fire but they should have at least 5+ cover and there is 45 of them. There's also 3 units of banshees who are super fast and will probably be taking all those shots. With at least 1 avatar around they will have fearless too. And if they focus on the guardians then the banshees will make it to cc. Against an army with lots of small arms fire only a few of my combat units need to make it to cc in order win. With 8 strong combat units I'm fairly certain a few of them will make it.

Offline Lyonic

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2015, 03:43:42 PM »
Bey man o/ nice list and idea! The one thing i would do is try and get 3 d-cannons with a warlock and get them to run up the table with your army. High toughness with marine save will soak up alot of fire. It also might get a nice conceal so its gonna get a 2 up in cover. People will have to shoot 3 scan on templates marching up trust me. Ive used dcannons like that in 3 games. I started to split the d-cannons into 3 1 units when i ran cad to great effect. Apart from that i feel there is to many points wasted on the war walker and vyper.

the chances of scorpions making it into combat turn 1 are pretty low so id infiltrate them as close to the enemy as u can to give them something to think about. I think also if u can, roll telepathy with your seer. Invis one of the avatars or even better, shrouding and conga line your army around so 1 model from each is within 6". This will help alot.

if your storm guardians are rolling with warlocks its gonna get messy. I spoke before about how much a warlock + avatar can buff units into amazeballs :P

good list man let me knw what u think

Offline Mr.Peanut (Turtleproof)

• Ride Like Lightning, Crash Like Thunder | Infinity Circuit | Pork Sword of Mod-Justice | Took the basket, nuts and lol | Good grief, ye hennie pennies
  • Ancient
  • Turtleposting At The Speed Of SHift
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Eldar, Sigmarines, Chaos, Demons
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2015, 11:52:03 AM »
Who cares if Guardians die easily, they're cheap meatshields that may draw fire from the Aspect Warriors.  And a 5+ cover save is great, that means one third of wounds taken will be saved (statistically).  I normally tell people to not bloat the cost of a Guardian squad with a Warlock, but a big block deserves to have at least one model that can fend off a Dreadnaught if it gets stuck in.

The only thing that worries me are the Banshees and the vehicles.  Since you have precisely two vehicles, guess where the enemy's anti-tank fire is going to go?  I would rather have more Guardians, actually, Defenders only got better in the new Codex and they will weather incoming fire just fine relative to their point cost.  Howling Banshees just stink, there's no other way to put it.  They're fragile meaning its hard to get them into combat, once there they perform poorly against power armor and are just miserable against fodder units.  Even Scorpions are iffy but they do benefit from better armor and being deadlier, plus they have fleet now that Eldar have figured out how to make better armor.

Looks like all the reply titles are the same, were your related topics merged yet?
You are
What you do
When it counts
     -The Masao
"Getting what you want can be dangerous.

Offline Lyonic

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2015, 12:10:19 PM »
Hey peanut o/ i have to disagree with you about banshees :( I would say that just regular banshees are yes, garbage. When you put banshees with an Avatar and if u can, stick a spiritseer with them with access to the runes of battle.. Pfft awsome unit!

Offline Partninja

• Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2015, 01:56:33 PM »
I think would prefer 2-3 squads of Scorpions and 0-1 Banshees. You can get a bit more from the Scorpions deployment-wise, and they are a bit harder to kill in the shooting phase depending on terrain.

Overall I like this list. The new Avatar is a great buff unit, and when you have two, even better :)

Offline Rx8Speed

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2015, 02:28:09 PM »
What do you guys think of swapping a banshee unit and warwalker upgrades for shining spears? They can choose between 3+ and 4+ cover even while out in the open. I was thinking 6 of them including an exarch with a starlance. With rage and furious charge and the +1WS this unit will hit seriously hard. S7 lances with all those attacks at high I means the unit is now a serious threat even to heavy armored targets like imperial knights in CC. So extremely fast unit, guaranteed 2nd turn charge, good saves, good T (for eldar) and hit super hard in combat. I know they didn't get any ap2 like we all wanted but they're fast enough to avoid terminators anyways. These guys are vehicle/monster hunters which means I can either swap the vibros for shadow weavers or I'll just be that much better against armor

Offline Lyonic

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2015, 03:32:14 PM »
Hey speed o/ alright so shining spears!!!!!!!!!

lets take a look:

Pros
They will tear up MEQ in combat straight up.
They are on jetbikes so have amazing movement.
They have better toughness because of the bikes.

Cons
They lost hit and run which means if you fail to kill whatever you charge, you'd better hope there is no supporting units in range or its GG.
They have pretty low STR in regards to attacking armour, the equivilant of scatter lasers on their 1st attack.
This means if you cant hurt anything over av12 so.... and please don't say 'well the exarch can' because if you are relying on the exarch on something like a knight you are gonna have a stomptasticly bad time.

I would use them purley as Reserves. Coming on turn 2 outflanking, hitting all those squishy rear targets. When you come on just make sure you place yourself defensivly but ready to rock it and shock it next turn. I don't know if you can turbo-boost when you come in from reserves or not.

This unit looks really fun to play and I think having them there would make your game more fun :P

Offline Rx8Speed

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2015, 01:07:35 PM »
I think you're forgetting that with the avatar's aura they get scatter laser + 1 strength and they also have LANCE weapons, even in combat. So even the regular guys are glancing land raiders and imperial knights on a 5+. The exach glances them on a 3+.

Also I think having them on the board turn 1 would be better no? Because you can't be sure whether they will come in from reserves on turn 2. On turn 1 they turbo boost to almost anywhere on the board and then charge turn 2 with their huge charge range. If they are in reserve you are getting a turn 3 assault at best, and 1/3 of the time will be turn 4 at best.

Offline volatilegaz

• Aspect Warrior
  • I'm dead inside.
  • Armies: Eldar, Just starting Necrons
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2015, 03:39:07 PM »
I like the idea, but I think the extra speed of the spears would be largely negated by the need to stay within the bubble of the (relatively) slow Avatar, and the lack of hit & run meaning you'd want a 2nd wave assault unit nearby to help them out when they don't win in a single round.

Plus of course they don't benefit from matchless agility, which seems a bit of a waste.
The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit.

Offline Rx8Speed

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2015, 04:04:03 PM »
With rage and furious charge I'm not too worried about them not winning combat. Mostly they'll be charging vehicles anyways since I have anti-infantry pretty well covered with my other melee squads. And who needs matchless agility when you have turbo boost and jetbike movement? Like really

And the avatar's bubble is pretty big. They have the movement to get to the middle of the board which means they can get that bubble to reach nearly anywhere but into my opponent's deployment zone.

Offline Lyonic

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2015, 10:26:45 PM »
''I think you're forgetting that with the avatar's aura they get scatter laser + 1 strength and they also have LANCE weapons, even in combat. So even the regular guys are glancing land raiders and imperial knights on a 5+. The exach glances them on a 3+.

Also I think having them on the board turn 1 would be better no? Because you can't be sure whether they will come in from reserves on turn 2. On turn 1 they turbo boost to almost anywhere on the board and then charge turn 2 with their huge charge range. If they are in reserve you are getting a turn 3 assault at best, and 1/3 of the time will be turn 4 at best.''

Hey man, yeah I do think they are best used as outflankers but you can always just hide them then turboboost them I guess. Regarding their weapons, with the others on the fact they wont be to near your avatar but even if they are, you only get that str bonus for 1 turn. turn 2 your gonna be elder str with lance isn't gonna help. This was the big nerf for shinning spears. If you want to be a naughty space elf, stick an autarch in to give you 2 lances and mask. Should help a lot. Again they will suffer the same fate as the Fire Dragons... Mutually assured destruction. If you are gonna be hitting things like knights get ready to die in the explosion XD :P

Offline Fenris

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Eldar, Aeldari
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2015, 02:02:25 PM »
Nice list double Avatar should give you some redundancy, however with no shooting, a smart opponent could kite around you.
I would consider splitting the guardians into 2 storm hosts with 6x8 Guardians, replacing the warlocks with a second farseer.
It will probably cost a bit for the tax units, but lowering your number of banshees to 2x5 and drop some extras on the walker, should do the trick.
You've still got an additional 6x PWs and 6x fusion guns with this build.
Even if the warlock often increases the durability of the guardians, the warlock increases the cost of the unit with roughly the same percentage.
Ego in propria persona, non compos mentis.