News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: New Edition of Age of Sigmar on its Way  (Read 11935 times)

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
Re: New Edition of Age of Sigmar on its Way
« Reply #60 on: June 5, 2018, 11:40:23 AM »
All of this stuff looks great! Not sure when I'll actually try to get my hands on it, but I'll at least pick up the books if nothing else :). The models look great too, especially loving the new Stormcast, they seem quite a bit more dynamic than what came out originally in 2015.
JohnMaloneBooks website - Blog #3 - From Novella to Novel

- 5/5 Reader's Favorite Review!

A Sanctum of Swords: Embers Edition is coming soon w/ audiobook!

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
« Reply #61 on: June 6, 2018, 04:38:53 AM »
The video is very reminiscent of the cut scenes from Total Warhammer II.  It also has some images which are definitely inspired by the Lord of the Rings, Skyrim, and indeed the Deatheaters in Harry Potter.  I quite like, but the Nighthaunt one was better.

I like the fact that Nighthaunt is present in the starter box and I really like the names that GW has devised for all of this.  It really does all look very promising.  The only concern for me is the number of expansions that are already being generated here.  I was hoping that this was going to be a trap that Age of Sigmar would not fall into.
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
« Reply #62 on: June 6, 2018, 04:52:21 AM »
That starter box looks tremendous. Just a superb number of minis in addition to all of the books. The models are probably even higher quality as the Death Guard in the 40k starter set, and that's really saying something because those DG minis are the best starter minis I have ever seen.

The magic expansion seems good, although the price point will have a lot to do with whether I pick it up. I think it's probably going to be somewhat pricey though, if it includes all of the persistent spell minis, as they're not small.

The General's Handbook will likely be another must buy. They're such high quality and everyone says how much they add to the game.

The other thing I'm most excited by is the Nighthaunt Gloom paint. I just hope it goes through an airbrush ok so that I can speed paint all of the minis in this set. The Hexwraith Flame I'm less enthused about, but I'm sure a lot of people will get good mileage out of it.

Finally, the presentation of that video was excellent. GW really are hitting it out of the park with what they're producing these days.

Really excited for this release in a way that the original AoS never grabbed my attention.
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
« Reply #63 on: June 6, 2018, 11:45:24 AM »
All of this stuff looks great! Not sure when I'll actually try to get my hands on it, but I'll at least pick up the books if nothing else :). The models look great too, especially loving the new Stormcast, they seem quite a bit more dynamic than what came out originally in 2015.

Agreed, and they also allow every order Army the ability to get a wizard for casting/dispelling. I'm sure they will be very popular. Especially the one which can once per game auto dispel.

That starter box looks tremendous. Just a superb number of minis in addition to all of the books. The models are probably even higher quality as the Death Guard in the 40k starter set, and that's really saying something because those DG minis are the best starter minis I have ever seen.

The magic expansion seems good, although the price point will have a lot to do with whether I pick it up. I think it's probably going to be somewhat pricey though, if it includes all of the persistent spell minis, as they're not small.

The General's Handbook will likely be another must buy. They're such high quality and everyone says how much they add to the game.

The other thing I'm most excited by is the Nighthaunt Gloom paint. I just hope it goes through an airbrush ok so that I can speed paint all of the minis in this set. The Hexwraith Flame I'm less enthused about, but I'm sure a lot of people will get good mileage out of it.

Finally, the presentation of that video was excellent. GW really are hitting it out of the park with what they're producing these days.

Really excited for this release in a way that the original AoS never grabbed my attention.

Agreed, all looks really good.

The video is very reminiscent of the cut scenes from Total Warhammer II.  It also has some images which are definitely inspired by the Lord of the Rings, Skyrim, and indeed the Deatheaters in Harry Potter.  I quite like, but the Nighthaunt one was better.

I like the fact that Nighthaunt is present in the starter box and I really like the names that GW has devised for all of this.  It really does all look very promising.  The only concern for me is the number of expansions that are already being generated here.  I was hoping that this was going to be a trap that Age of Sigmar would not fall into.

Well, there is always going to be additional books and suppliments. It's just not mandatory stuff to play. The only expansions so far has been malign portants and these endless spells, and neither are mandatory to play. 

There will be a lot of value in the endless spells too, so I'm excited to see them in game. Especially as they will cost points to use. Thank god.

The only thing I'm concerned about is command ability spam/stacking. That could get really gross really quick, and can lead to a lot of deviating turn 1's.

I do like how they are implementing summoning, as free summoning was the one thing I was most worried about when announced, as getting models for free is 1) very easy to abuse, and 2) really slows down the game.

It looks like all the factions which can Benifit from this change have decent restrictions to keep it balanced.

Also, not needing reinforcement points let's some less-used units get a chance to shine, life flame Pheonixs and Skar Bloodwrath, who were garbage before.

The faction focus articles are fairly useless, mostly waffling along about nothing. But I do enjoy the bewildering unit recommendations at the end.

Oh, you play Dispossessed? You should take a Gunstock Gunhauler! Umm, no, no one wants to take a Gunstock Gunhauler, thanks though. 160pts for a one shot gun that hits on a 4+? No thanks. Lol.

I think the thing I am most excited about, is being able to theme your army on a specific realm, allowing extra artifacts. I think that's super cool, and allows a wealth of possibility for modeling and painting. 
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
« Reply #64 on: June 7, 2018, 01:44:47 PM »
An update to the setting. The Realmgate Wars are over. The Soul Wars are begun. Look out chaos, Nagash is taking the wheel, and he's pissed!

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/06/07/7th-june-the-war-for-soulsgw-homepage-post-2/#utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=Facebook&utm_campaign=AOS&utm_content=AoSSoulsarticleJun7

I'm really excited that the Lore of AOS is updated with every release. It's not a static setting at all. I'm also glad to see Death get some time to shine.

As long as the can get a good meal, my ghouls are happy to serve the Great Necromancer.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
« Reply #65 on: June 7, 2018, 05:19:43 PM »
This is more like it.  A much more interesting and in-depth narrative is starting to come to the fore.  The realms themselves still require a lot more work, but at least the factions and their motivations are starting to take on more of a shape in the lore.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

• Ancient
« Reply #66 on: June 14, 2018, 09:43:12 AM »
New website is launched with the new core rules as a free pdf like before. 16 pages now, instead of 4.

Warhammer Age of Sigmar - Games Workshop
Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria

Offline Irisado

• Administrator
« Reply #67 on: June 14, 2018, 05:54:40 PM »
I appreciate the fact that information is now easier to find that it was before and I rather like the new banner as well.  I think that it's good to see such effort being put into this game after a rather patchy start with the first edition.

• Ancient
« Reply #68 on: June 14, 2018, 09:55:32 PM »
I'm very excited. I got to look through the new core book, and the malign sorcery book today. The core book is pretty much just all lore and maps, so I'm just so excited to get that.

The endless spell models are also a lot bigger than I though. The purple sun is larger than a dreadnought, and the gnashing jaws has got to be rhino sized.
Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria

Offline Irisado

• Administrator
« Reply #69 on: June 15, 2018, 04:23:37 AM »
It looks as though I'll be buying the main book on that basis, as this is what I've been waiting for more than anything else.

I'm pleased to read that the spells are on the large side.  The Purple Sun of Shyish, in particular, ought to be substantial, given that it is meant to be vortex which roams the battlefield destroying everything in its path.

Offline Calamity

• Concussor Concussed Dice | Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Cocking up miniatures since 1998
  • Armies: Kharadron Overlords, Bloodbound, Celestial Lions
« Reply #70 on: June 16, 2018, 08:31:39 AM »
I so excited for the new rules!  ;D

That bit about garrisoning in terrain...I wonder...with tweaks, could that become a new system for embarking and disembarking?  Because I’ve always thought that the Overlords really need a way for their troops to fight from the ships and this might be the way to do it.

• Ancient
« Reply #71 on: June 16, 2018, 12:07:48 PM »
I so excited for the new rules!  ;D

That bit about garrisoning in terrain...I wonder...with tweaks, could that become a new system for embarking and disembarking?  Because I’ve always thought that the Overlords really need a way for their troops to fight from the ships and this might be the way to do it.

Looks to me like thye just want to clear up how terrain works, and prevent any feel-bad situations where units cannot be attacked, which was one of the reasons the Balewind Vortex was so broken before it was turned into an endless spell.

The rules for how Overlord ships work change, and I feel that if they gained an 'open-topped' rule, it'd be very hard to balance. It seems clear to me, that in any situation a unit is able to use attacks, it needs to be able to be attacked back. The change of the Balewind vortex and garrison rules more-or-less confirm this.

So, in my mind, the only way the Overlords could fight from their ships, is if the embarked units could be targeted as well. or else it'd be very easy to abuse.
Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #72 on: June 16, 2018, 12:39:10 PM »
That’s why I was suggesting the garrison rules.  They could be attacked, but they would be both in cover and would receive the other bonus too, so it evens out.

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #73 on: July 1, 2018, 09:22:32 AM »
Has anyone had a chance to pick up the Core Book and the General's Handbook yet? Just curious about what people think of the lore and the updated rules so far. Currently, I've picked up the digital edition of both books, but I'm perplexed about where to find the artifacts and command traits specific to each Mortal Realm? I keep finding the rules for playing in one of the Mortal Realms, but none of the stuff leaders can take from hailing from one.

Any advice would be appreciated ;D. Also, none of the Idoneth points have changed, but I guess that's too be expected. Would have loved to have seen a slightly cheaper Leviadon and maybe a tiny adjustment on the Eidolon, Aspect of the Sea, but it's cool, at least they didn't go up in points!

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #74 on: July 1, 2018, 10:00:05 AM »
I have to get around to preordering the books.  If I wasn’t skint I would have already done so.  ;D

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #75 on: July 1, 2018, 10:05:57 AM »
I have to get around to preordering the books.  If I wasn’t skint I would have already done so.  ;D

If you like the Age of Sigmar App well enough and you happen to have a tablet, I would recommend buying the books through that. All of the books on the AoS App are always discounted pretty decently. You can get the more recent battle tomes for like $20. The Core Book is $31.00 and the General's Handbook is $15. Not sure what the prices outside of the U.S. are, but wouldn't hurt to check it out ;D.

• Ancient
« Reply #76 on: July 1, 2018, 10:43:32 AM »
I bought the new core book, handbook and malign sorceries box. All are absolutely fantastic and we'll worth picking up. I spent the whole morning reading through the background in the core book today, it does a great job covering the Realmgate wars, and leading into the current conflict of the Soul Wars.  There is also information about all the factions too.

Handbook is like all the other handbooks. It's got 12 matched play missions, 6 new ones, and the 6 2017 missions.

The malign sorceries kit is also fantastic. All the spells go together without glue, and go together really quick, except for the Purple Sun, which is one crazy kit to build. Currently painting all my spells. Also, I need to study the malign sorceries book, to decide which realm I want my ghouls to hail from, and which realm artifacts I want to use.

Played a new AoS game too, against Kharadron Overlords. Turns out, frigates don't like being charged by crypt horrors,who'd have guessed? Lol. I am a big fan of being able to tie up shooting, but those gundatruck thunderers are slippery like eels.
« Last Edit: July 1, 2018, 10:49:17 AM by Killersquid »
Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #77 on: July 1, 2018, 12:04:49 PM »

If you like the Age of Sigmar App well enough and you happen to have a tablet, I would recommend buying the books through that. All of the books on the AoS App are always discounted pretty decently. You can get the more recent battle tomes for like $20. The Core Book is $31.00 and the General's Handbook is $15. Not sure what the prices outside of the U.S. are, but wouldn't hurt to check it out ;D.

I forgot about the app!  Thanks for reminding me! :D  I would definitely get the GHB on digital at least.  For the Core Rulebook I’ll probably get a physical copy.  Probably. 

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #78 on: July 1, 2018, 01:18:57 PM »
@Calamity: No problem 8) ;)!

@Killersquid: Ah, so you need the Malign sorceries to see all of the Realm Specific Command Traits and Artifacts, no wonder I was so confused XP. Malign Sorceries I have not picked up yet, but aim to later this week.

Also really loving the fleshed out lore on the curse of the Stormcast Eternals. Some of the Stormhost are doing some messed up stuff lol. I've made it through just about the realm gate wars and am moving into the Soul Wars territory in the Core Book. Also, the art in this book is just completely phenomenal. I don't know who GW has hired recently, but this guy / these guys deserve some kind of award.

• Ancient
« Reply #79 on: July 1, 2018, 01:55:56 PM »
The core rulebook is absolutely beautiful. I'm glad I picked it up.

The malign portants short stories detailed some of the darker paths the Stormcast Eternals took. I really recommend reading them, as those stories are the backdrop to Soul Wars.

Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria