News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Earning scrolls of Binding in a campaign.  (Read 1829 times)

Offline Calus Drakin

• Armies: Night Lords, Eldar
Earning scrolls of Binding in a campaign.
« on: May 13, 2012, 12:49:14 AM »
So I'm up for running a fairly simple league/campaign at my local LGS. It's been a while, and apparently the last few people to run leagues out there really botched things up. Changing campaign rules mid-game to get an edge. So I'm planning something fairly simple. I'm talking the old Border Princes map or the basic Mighty Empires rules. I want to encourage people to use some of the Storm of Magic rules though by the end of things.

What I had in mind was that through specific actions in the campaign or spectacular feats in-game, you can earn scrolls. These will be copies of the scrolls of binding from the SoM book, with models provided by the LGS for a single game later on. Any upgrades on the monsters will be marked. I also plan to have them done up like actual scrolls would be and the players will be choosing from them randomly upon having earned one.

Players must inform their opponent that they intend to use one of their scrolls, though they don't have to disclose what monster they're bringing. The opponent then has the option to use a scroll of their own, if they have one. If the opponent does not have a scroll or refuses to use one. Then the player is limited to only using the one scroll. If the opponent does choose to use one of their scrolls, then the player may choose to use a second, and so on, until both players decide not to use any more. In this fashion, a player may never be using more then one scroll more then their opponent.

So any opinions on those rules so far would be nice. As well, I'm a little stumped on what kind of actions should earn scrolls. I have a few ideas, but need more.

1. In a game of 2000 points or more, if both players have less then 500 points remaining on the table at the end of the game. Each may randomly choose a scroll.

2. If a player wins a game of 2000 points or more, while completely ignoring one turn phase (ie, they pass over every friendly magic phase of the game without an action.), that player may randomly choose a scroll.

3. If a player wins a game of 2000 points or more with an army that is entirely one troop type. (ie, a pure infantry army), that player may randomly choose a scroll.

4. If a player loses a game of 2000 points or more, while removing less then a quarter of his opponent's army, (ie, the opponent loses less then 500 points of models in a 2000 point game) that player may randomly choose a scroll.
Considering my chosen armies are Vampire Counts and Night Lords, yes, I think "Back from the dead" is probably the most accurate description of my return.

Vampire Counts
     1 / 1 / 1

Offline Zilverscale

• Ork Boy
Re: Earning scrolls of Binding in a campaign.
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2012, 05:35:34 AM »
Looks good!

Wish locals here would be more inclined to set up WHF campaigns/tournies.
Only 40k is done here mostly  :(

PAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!