News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Incubi - unit composition, accompanying characters, deployment  (Read 9779 times)

Offline Katamari Damacy

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Eldar Empire, Dwarfs
Re: Incubi - unit composition, accompanying characters, deployment
« Reply #40 on: August 20, 2011, 11:35:57 AM »
You might like this thread, haflway down the first page  ;D
The word 'politics' is derived from the word 'poly', meaning 'many', and the word 'ticks', meaning 'blood sucking parasites'.

Offline Shadows Revenge

• The All Knowing
  • Armies: Dark Eldar, Raven Guard
« Reply #41 on: August 21, 2011, 06:08:58 AM »
I personally run them in squads of 5 in a venom, and use wyches to charge in first to tie up whatever Im fighting, then send in the hammer, I find thats the best way to keep them cheap and effective.

Since you dont want to use wyches to get those I bonus, your best bet is an Archon with the PGL, but if you do that, I would keep him cheap as in just a PGL, Shadowfield, Ag. He is relatively cheap, and can actually increase the killiness (also remember he will give them defensive grenades, really effective when people forget and charge :P )

Other than that those are the two ways of running them. I find over 5 and youve overkilled, and without the wyches or PGL, they cant handle assaulting through cover.

Offline nawari

• Ork Boy
  • There is a bit of wulfen in all of us.
  • Armies: Space Wolves, Orks, White Scars
« Reply #42 on: August 21, 2011, 08:04:19 AM »
i run them just like shadows revenge does. keep them cheap in a venom and counter attack already ingaged squads. works everytime, well most of the time lol.
Wish i had my own pet thunderwolf! Then i could ride into work and people will be like "Dayymm he so awsome right now!"

Offline Hologram

« Reply #43 on: August 21, 2011, 06:35:24 PM »
Thanks for the link Katamari Damacy, some really good stuff in there. I must apologise for making this thread so soon after that one, but I'm afraid it escaped my notice.

Shadows Revenge and nawari - that does seem like a fairly efficient way to get around the lack of grenades and still keep the Incubi cheap, but while that setup has occured to me, I would be worried about the Incubi having to hold back and wait for a turn while the Wyches assault (since both squads are about the same in terms of speed). Don't the Incubi get shot down as they are waiting for the Wyches to set the stage? I may be missing something here, but I'm assuming that the most normal start to a battle would be rushing transports forward on the first turn with a view to assault in the second, but Incubi tend to be viewed as quite a high-priority target, so how do you go about keeping them alive for that extra turn in the meanwhile?

Don't get me wrong, I think that's an extremely cost-effective way to take a decent sized unit of them, but I get the feeling I'm missing something regarding overcoming that delay, so I'd be very interested to know how much of an issue you find this or how you get around it.

Offline Immelman

« Reply #44 on: August 22, 2011, 05:05:40 PM »
Don't get me wrong, I think that's an extremely cost-effective way to take a decent sized unit of them, but I get the feeling I'm missing something regarding overcoming that delay, so I'd be very interested to know how much of an issue you find this or how you get around it.

Precisely why in my experience the Archon with PGL makes up for his cost by adding flexibility to your army rendering them independent not having to be babysat by another unit. Waiting around for a turn with a good probability of getting shot down in the middle of nowhere while the wyches tie up in combat "whatever" so that you can assault it without losing ini next turn...

If you think it that in theory it sounds complicated and risky it is even more so on the battlefield. Keep it simple is my motto when it comes to making plans...

Offline archonoftheredhand

« Reply #45 on: August 24, 2011, 01:46:08 AM »
Precisely why in my experience the Archon with PGL makes up for his cost by adding flexibility to your army rendering them independent not having to be babysat by another unit. Waiting around for a turn with a good probability of getting shot down in the middle of nowhere while the wyches tie up in combat "whatever" so that you can assault it without losing ini next turn...

If you think it that in theory it sounds complicated and risky it is even more so on the battlefield. Keep it simple is my motto when it comes to making plans...

I completely agree with this.

Another option that came to my mind:
Has anyone considered a Klaivex with bloodstone? It can soften the target unit prior to charging and diminishing the attacks coming their way. It has a low S but the low AP makes up for it IMO.

It is perhaps considered costly but  the klaivex upgrade with bloodstone costs as much as as the hekatrix upgrade with agoniser.

Offline Archon Khiraq(danceman)

• The Devil in Pale Moonlight
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • What's the matter? Don't you like clowns?
« Reply #46 on: August 24, 2011, 06:02:31 AM »
I like it. Not only does it punch through armour but it helps when dealing with big units(ideally think means you're able to *reliably* cut through them in your opponents assault phase). They additional point of initiative of the Klaviex does have an impact in certain fights. His high WS means he'll be hitting 3s most of the time even against the elites and even ICs of other armies. So yeah, while on paper the Klaviex doesn't look all that brilliant it brings a few tricks up his sleeve. So it costs extra but you can't get the same elsewhere or in the same unit. They tend to be up against the toughests units my opponents have so those stats does pay for themselves.

That said, most of the time you want to fleet in order to get exactly where you want to be. When you're doing that, you're wasting the bloodstone but since I already use the Klaviex, the points spent for the bloodstone can easily pay itself back even if I am fleeting. The main use for me is taking on big units in order to "ensure" I am wiping the enemy unit out the next round. AP3 weaponry seem to have an effect on Marine players too.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 06:03:33 AM by Archon Khiraq(danceman) »
"The blade itself incites to acts of violence" - Homer.