News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: BattleTech  (Read 11506 times)

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
BattleTech
« on: June 2, 2017, 09:24:53 PM »
After a long development process the new BattleTech game is in beta. I Kickstartered that beast a while ago and it's great to see progress. The game currently only allows single player skirmish but that's fine with me as I've got no intention of multiplayer even after it's released fully in a few months.

The game itself is back to the classics as a turn based, initiative triggered game but now with gorgeous graphics rather than icons on tiles. Mechs smoke when hot, show battle damage, and you can run up and punch someone's head right off. Even better, if armless, you shoulder charge and headbutt the other mech instead, as you'd hope.

They're still working on bugs but even in this stage it feels solid and they designed this game with a campaign in mind from the get go as well as multiplayer for those of that wont.
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline Dev Null

• GW has copyrighted my ability to be wrong.
Re: BattleTech
« Reply #1 on: June 5, 2017, 11:21:27 AM »
Good to hear!  Harebrained have done some good work in the past (like my poor, lamented Golem Arcana) so I have high hopes for the final product.

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
« Reply #2 on: June 5, 2017, 12:00:48 PM »
I didn't back the Kickstarter enough to get the beta. Gonna wait for the actual release.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 5, 2017, 02:04:55 PM »
The game is currently very physical. Even on the larger maps you'll manage to get within punching distance rather quickly. Dodge and evasion abilities mean even light mechs can survive rushing a gun line. For a little while at least. The AI opponent seems to have a thing for beyond LOS sniping with Urban Mechs.

Lost one game as the lone enemy Urban headbutted the groin of my Orion taking out the last of the centre torso. The animation was a beauty to behold.

Pilots get injured a lot. Each head hit is an injury, every time you fall down is an injury. So you'll see some pilots dying of sustained injuries even though their mech is still looking fairly decent.
Drink
Knights Tippler

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
« Reply #4 on: June 5, 2017, 03:28:21 PM »
The video's I've seen for it look really good. I wish I could find folks to play the battletech tabletop game. Just got my Commando painted up. I have a hellbringer somewhere too that I need to finish painting.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Mr.Peanut (Turtleproof)

• Ride Like Lightning, Crash Like Thunder | Infinity Circuit | Pork Sword of Mod-Justice | Took the basket, nuts and lol | Good grief, ye hennie pennies
  • Ancient
  • Turtleposting At The Speed Of SHift
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Eldar, Sigmarines, Chaos, Demons
« Reply #5 on: June 5, 2017, 08:34:54 PM »
I really enjoyed Hawken for a while, I may throw the dev team a few bucks and help them test the multiplayer.

We'll never get another Earthsiege game, thanks, Obama.   >:(
You are
What you do
When it counts
     -The Masao
"Getting what you want can be dangerous.

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2017, 02:55:10 PM »
Now delayed till early 2018. Which is fine, I'd rather they did more work on getting the AI functioning better than rushing something out the door that's half arsed. Still enjoying the basic beta function and there's a large update coming soon as well.
Drink
Knights Tippler

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2018, 01:36:24 PM »
The day is nearly here. Game goes live Tuesday 24th. A new Mechwarrior is expected near the end of the year as well so a good year for Mechs punching each other.
Drink
Knights Tippler

• Ancient
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2018, 01:54:22 PM »
I just got my Kickstarter install key. Can't wait to play it.
Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2018, 03:24:13 PM »
I'm happy due to their making an actual playable campaign being one of their primary focuses right from day one. Bucking the unfortunate trend where a campaign is either an after thought or tacked on as more of a short repetitive tutorial.
Drink
Knights Tippler

• Ancient
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2018, 04:39:22 PM »
Yeah. I'm not too much of an online gamer, so single player is a huge factor for me.
Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria

Offline Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2018, 06:29:25 PM »
Yeah. I'm not too much of an online gamer, so single player is a huge factor for me.
I was a huge online gamer... used to do really well, too!  Then I got old and I just don't have the patience to try and get as good as these kids that play now-a-days lol.  Turn based games?  Bet your ass I rock that amphetamine parrot!
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2018, 07:23:08 PM »
I actually didn't see this game until recently, and though I'm familiar with Mechwarrior from PS1 days, never heard of battletech. But when I first heard of this game and looked into it, I was instantly sold! We don't get enough inter-galactic, mecha-based, space operas now-a-days, but this one looks so good! I agree on the more emphasized single-player aspect being something more enjoyable. Don't really like competitive games, but I do like me a great story.

That being said, I'm not going to be able to pick up this game right away. I'm preoccupied with finishing my second play through of Pillars of Eternity before Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire arrives on May 8 ;D. Second game I ever backed on kickstarter (Divinity Original Sin 2 being my first one).

Also if you guys like Battletech, you might also like the newly kickstarted game Iron Harvest. It's an Real-Time Strategy based in the 1920+ Universe, the same as the board game Scythe if anyone is familiar with it. It's basically an alternative reality set right after WWI, with giant 1920s style mechs roaming around. It kind of like a combination of Company of Heroes and the lore of Scythe.
JohnMaloneBooks website - Blog #3 - From Novella to Novel

- 5/5 Reader's Favorite Review!

A Sanctum of Swords: Embers Edition is coming soon w/ audiobook!

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2018, 08:11:16 PM »
Which is why we're looking forward to this release. A throw back to the board game from decades ago and a game I used to play on the Amiga (also decades ago) that was turn based rather than FPS.
Drink
Knights Tippler

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2018, 08:29:50 PM »
I know Battletech is a game rather rich in depth and mechanics, I only hope it will not be as difficult to get into from an entirely new player's perspective. Harebrained Schemes is being published by paradox, but it is not a Paradox Inc. game right? I own most of the Paradox Grand Strategy Games, but I don't know why, because I'm not that great at playing them. I've spent quite a lot of hours in Europa IV and Stellaris, but I always feel like I'm not really learning what I'm needing to?

I hope Battletech is more accessible, which it does look like it, but I've only watched Paradox Devs play through it and they make anything look accessible :P.

• Ancient
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2018, 08:52:45 PM »
I Love the tabletop game, as cluttered as it is. I hope this game shares a lot of elements to that. Either way, I'm a fan of any battletech game. 
Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2018, 08:58:24 PM »
The board game was dead simple. Things only got a little screwy when the Clans turned up and suddenly nothing was the same anymore.

I've played a lot of Stellaris and this game won't be anything like that. More XCOM if anything.
Drink
Knights Tippler

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2018, 09:08:50 PM »
Sounds good, guys ;D! Cannot wait to play it! I also have never beaten XCOM 2 now that you mention that :-[. Too many games to play now-a-days for me lol. I also appreciate the great depth that this game will have, didn't want to come off as someone who wanted it dumbed down or anything. It's not really the tactical battles I felt I would have trouble wrapping my head around, but the whole mercenary company management aspect. But I'm sure I'll figure it out if I invest enough time into it :).

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2018, 09:21:14 PM »
By XCOM, I doubt you'll be researching anything as much as salvaging it. Same with Mechs, when you're rich enough you'll be able to buy them but recovering them off the battlefield is far more likely in the early stages.
Drink
Knights Tippler

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2018, 04:31:48 AM »
Battletech is officially released since yesterday, any hands-on experiences and opinions to share around the fire ;)?