News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Ork Tactics vs Witch hunters  (Read 1036 times)

Offline Jehoel

• Insanity is the sanest choice
Ork Tactics vs Witch hunters
« on: July 31, 2010, 11:56:50 AM »
'Ello U uver Greenskins
I am currently in the process of assembling my first Ork Waaagh (but since I don't play with unpainted models its taking some time)

Here is my question. One of the guys I usually play against likes to field his witchhunter army and while I'm building my orks it hits me that those psycho nuns-with-guns are almost tailored to kill da boyz. So what tactics do you apply??
Here are some of my concerns:
Flamers - Sisters fields a lot of torches! Normal as well as heavy, each group of sisters will normally have one or even two flamers
Penitent engines - So fast you wont believe it. Able to cross the table almost instantly. And in groups of 3 with Dread close combat weapons they will rip anything to shreds. And oh yeah, they have heavy flamers as well.
Faith points - the ability to strike at S 5 or make that nasty save invulnerable actually make the sisters more difficult to kill in CC that you would expect.

Bahzhakhaim Zhai Dialcaman of the Biel-tan
___________________ ___________________ ____

"I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it." - Jack Handey

Offline OD from TV

• Ork Warlord | Title of Doom status: pending | KoN Veteran
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • OD's Project Blog
Re: Ork Tactics vs Witch hunters
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2010, 06:57:39 PM »
I wouldn't worry too much about Witch Hunters.

Yes the points you outlined are their strengths, but they are strengths that you can in part negate with your Ork Force.

For example if you have a heavily transported force say a backbone of 3 squads of 20 Slugga Boyz in a a Battlewagon, you negate most of the hazard that the Flamers present as the Battlewagon protects them, and with the Battlewagons you can outmaneuver and block charges to your infantry by the Penitent Engines.

There are a few things I would advice against the Sisters of Battle like the SAG Mek, which on a double 6 can and will remove some Sisters with no saves allowed or to Wound rolls.  Even if you don't get the double six, the SAG can and usually does cause a large amount of carnage before its taken out by the enemy or blows himself up.

A unit of 3 Kannons would help tremendously as well.  Three Str 8 Shots into a unit of Penitents at the Best BS the Ork army can throw at them, plus the ability to re-roll 3 misses in the whole game, AND how they can be used for some quick blast template pain against the Sisters (oh and how you could also re-roll that scatter) makes them very potent and cheap anti-Witchhunter weapons.  Oh I almost forgot to mention, they usually aren't a high target priority for your opponents as most are more concerned with shooting up a green tide rather than their artillery.

Last but not least I'd recommend Stormboyz.  They're fast jetpack goodness can outstrip the speed of the Seraphim and can earn you the charge against many of the SoB, which will make the decisive difference in your casualties.  More than other opponents you need to get the charge on Witchhunters, otherwise your on your way to a burning death.

As for the Faith Points, yes it can seem a little overpowered (maybe more than a little), but hey them's be the breaks.  Every race, especially in the codex's produced at that time had (many still have) strange overpowered rules, like the Necron's WBB, or the oldschool Orks 'Mob Up' rule or any of the Craftworld rules for Eldar players.

Its nothing to be too concerned about, on paper it may seem kinda scary, but its not as bad as it seems.

Peace
~OD
Truly beautiful work. That's the kind of stuff that makes a true mekanik cry tears of joy.
OD, you once again prove that your are still the freakin Da Vinci of plasticard

Offline zero88

Re: Ork Tactics vs Witch hunters
« Reply #2 on: August 1, 2010, 12:54:29 AM »
Having had a WH army for a number of years your tactics will vary depending on what kind of WH army he fields. Tactics against a full mechanized/sisters only army like what I used to have will be a lot different than a mixed inquisitorial/footslogging/mechanized army.

-I'll second stormboyz, the extra movement should help greatly
-Battlewagons. Most sisters lack much AT firepower, relying on Exorcists mostly.
-I think a SAG Mek could compete with a KFF, since the KFF is no use against flamers. Also even if the SAG rolls low on strength they are only S3
-Lootas are almost mandatory if you are up against a lot of rhinos. If you can reduce their flamers to foot slogging speed, then bikes and stormboyz can hit them before they ever flame you.
-Nobz. Regular ones. S5 on the charge means you're wounding on a 2+ and even if they boost their strength they are wounding you on 3s, but then that means they are striking last resulting in you being able to kill a lot of them.