News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Regarding deletion of a video link on "copyright grounds"  (Read 2559 times)

Offline Mr Draken

• Armies: Saim-Hann, White Scars, Space Wolves, Catachans.
Regarding deletion of a video link on "copyright grounds"
« on: April 15, 2015, 08:55:36 PM »
I posted a video review into the eldar speculation post as well as the rumors board... it was removed under "copyright grounds" can we please address this.... I am a youtuber, and a twitch streamer... I have dealt with copyright, and know what is and is not allowed.

As the Video in question is a review (specific review of sections of said white dwarf) it is protected by both US and UK copyright law (reviews and opinion pieces are protected material)

As the white dwarf in question was in hand, (they send them out early, release earlier in other countries...)it is considered released for consumption and review under consumer and copyright law.

I have to deal with false strikes and such on my youtube for reviews of things.... I did not even do this video, just linked it and get it removed under stupidity grounds...... Id be fine if it were an actual copyright issue.... but its not.... so can we please have the mods calm down a bit with claiming of copyright issues (YES YES i know how over zelous GW are, i have had a C&D letter over a product review..... after reminding them it is a review and protected they removed the strike and C&D...)

So can we please move into 2015 and not 1999 when it comes to what is and isnt allowed because copyright....
Carpe Diem Baby...

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
Re: Regarding deletion of a video link on "copyright grounds"
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2015, 08:59:17 PM »
If it was the video I've seen then it quite clearly displays points costs, stat lines, and special rules. We don't allow that. Same as if people were to copy static pictures of the appropriate pages rather than part of a video.
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline Mr Draken

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2015, 09:07:30 PM »
Except its a review video, which is not a copyright issue... thats my problem here... yes, points are mentioned, but as its in a review.... GW has no legal grounds to stamp on it, which is why the video is still up (and why others like Spikey Bits and the like have done it for a year or more now)

Its not someone giving the rules out freely, its someone discussing and reviewing and critiquing the products, which points need to be mentioned to do right.

It is 2015.... can we please get past this "oh copyright" monster for things like reviews......
Carpe Diem Baby...

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2015, 09:12:00 PM »
The owner of the forum has clearly stated he does not want reproductions of stats/rules/points. Yes, it does go beyond the bare minimum of protections. This is about what he wants. Throw him an email if you'd like but until we hear from him I doubt anything is going to change. Rasmus is off saving the world so he's mostly out of contact. 
Drink
Knights Tippler

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline Mr Draken

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2015, 09:15:08 PM »
Apologies if I seem to come off brash... but I deal with this on youtube/twitch fairly regularly, 40k and forums i keep separate and hate dealing with it here as well.... i debated sharing the video, and then did because It should be fine.... I am not about to crusade to try and change the rules, but thought i would simply point it out so that maybe it can be looked at again at some point....
Carpe Diem Baby...

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2015, 05:16:30 AM »
As Rummy says, if you would like it to be looked at again, you need to e-mail Purple Raine (the forum owner).  He is the only member of the Staff with the authority to change this particular rule.

This subject of copyright is raised fairly frequently here, because it is often thought that we are being too strict.  It may well be that we are, but we do this to protect the forum.  GW has previously been in touch with site on more than one occasion regarding copyright issues, and this is why the owner brought in such strict rules.  If GW were to be less strict about copyright, then we could afford to relax a bit too, but GW is very strict about its own copyright, so we cannot afford to take any risks.

We (the Staff) don't enjoy editing or deleting posts for copyright.  It's just something that we have to do.  While I appreciate that this does make it frustrating for you wanting to discuss new material, there's very little we can do about it, unless GW opts to change its approach.
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2015, 12:27:20 PM »
GW is also often very wrong about its interpretations. Remember how they objected to self published novels using Space Marine in their titles? A term far older than GW itself.
Drink
Knights Tippler

Offline Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2015, 02:23:51 PM »
There are also different ways that GW can go about protecting their IP.  For Youtube, there is a system that is in place for people to complain about potential IP infringement.  For websites such as this, GW does not even have to contact Raine about any infringements.  They can go directly to the server provider and threaten them with a lawsuit because one of the sites they have as a customer is allowing copyrighted material to be posted.  What they are looking at may very well not be inviolation of the law itself, but no provider is going to risk their company over someone else's potential legal battle.  In cases like that, the provider will terminate the contract and there goes the website.

We had an encounter with GW Legal just over four years ago, and it is something we like to avoid at all costs.  So we will always air on the side of caution.  This way, GW can not make claims that we do allow copyright infringement to go on because we have an absolute zero tolerance.  Also, one of the reasons we have such a stringent policy grew out of an incident where a disgruntled member contacted GW Legal claiming we were violating their IP and the response we received at that point was a lot less cordial.
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...