News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 1,750 Tourney List for Orktoberfest - Footsloggers & Seraphim  (Read 1349 times)

Offline Wombats

1,750 Tourney List for Orktoberfest - Footsloggers & Seraphim
« on: September 10, 2008, 04:52:56 AM »
Tournament coming up next month...this is my list so far. 

Adeptus Sororitas Heroine   115
Cannoness         
Eviscerator         
Jump Pack         
Cloak         
Book         

Adeptus Sororitas Heroine   140
Cannoness         
Blessed Weapon         
Jump Pack         
Cloak         
Book         
Litanies of Faith         

Battle Sister Gunners      282
Twenty         
Veteran Superior, Book         
Eviscerator         
Heavy Flamer & Flamer         

Battle Sister Gunners      282
Twenty         
Veteran Superior, Book         
Eviscerator         
Heavy Flamer & Flamer         

Battle Sister Tank Hunters   149
Ten         
Meltaguns         

Battle Sister Tank Hunters   149
Ten         
Meltaguns         

Seraphim Pyro         230
Eight Seraphim         
Two Flamers         
Veteran         
Eviscerator         
Book of Saint Lucius         

Eight Seraphim         
Two Flamers         
Veteran         
Eviscerator         
Book of Saint Lucius         

Eight Seraphim         
Two Flamers         
Veteran         
Eviscerator         
Book of Saint Lucius         

I'm tempted to drop the Seraphim down to 5-girl flamer squads with no Veteran, drop an HQ and just stack in more big Troops choices but its a lot of painting. 

Anyone had experience with a list like this?

It is really lacking in cheap speed bumps the big squads and Seraphim can rapid fire / flame into oblivion. 

I was tossing up Death Cult Assassins or minimum Celestian squads to take the charge. 
Thought begets Doubt : Doubt begets Heresy
(Heresy begets you sent to bed with no dinner)

Offline Draza

• Ancient
Re: 1,750 Tourney List for Orktoberfest - Footsloggers & Seraphim
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2008, 08:28:18 AM »
List looks very competitive from what I see. Of course you lack long range anti-tank, but I don't think your too worried about that (since you'll close in quickly).
I have played foot-sloggers a few times, mostly under 4th edition. Thankfully 5th edition is much kinder.

*Main problem is getting as many bodies on the field as possible. When you take Seraphim, you cut your bodies down significantly, which makes it harder to out number armies by any significant margin. This list is technically not a horde as such, but very elite, relying on the Seraphim to do some damage.
*Thats a lot of Seraphim to try and hide. With true LOS, that could cause some problems. Have you thought about a small deep striking tank hunter units?

I'm tempted to drop the Seraphim down to 5-girl flamer squads with no Veteran, drop an HQ and just stack in more big Troops choices but its a lot of painting
More troops over HQ's is usually my philosophy, but it's usually better to get a good painting score as well

Offline Wombats

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2008, 08:46:49 PM »
From looking at our boards:

It looks like people are being civil and restricting themselves to 4 Troops choices...

...which is no reason not to max out the four I have :)
The painting will be a chore. 

I take it Seraphim don't hide behind Battle Sisters well?
Looking at my miniatures I could see an opponent arguing over the 4+ cover save.  Guess Spirit of the Martyr is still useful. 

I think I'm off to buy some more Bolter girls. 

Edit: Link not really necessary- Draza
« Last Edit: September 10, 2008, 11:59:57 PM by Draza »

Offline Draza

• Ancient
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2008, 11:58:49 PM »
Seraphim will get a 4+ cover save, but its still the problem of getting shot at. If they're behind the girls as well, then there speed isn't fully being utilized, although it depends on the role your using them in.
'

It looks like people are being civil and restricting themselves to 4 Troops choices...

...which is no reason not to max out the four I have
The painting will be a chore. 

Aussie scene is weird like that. I wouldnt worry about it, 10 girls is acceptable. You don't have to max the squad size for every troop choice, otherwise Necrons and Dark Eldar would be screwed.

Offline Ixe

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2008, 09:21:21 AM »
I have tried a very similar list, and it sucks.  It is too slow to defend itself from mobile assault threats.  Seraphim are a support unit, they're not a hammer unit, they can't absorb charges or break powerful assaulty enemies.  SoB need to use shooting to do that.  But on foot, SoB are too slow to effectively combine their rapid fire.  What will happen against a fast assaulty enemy like trukk mounted orks or jump pack marines or what have you, is that they'll go around/through your seraphim, hit your weak core of large Battle Sister squads, wipe out your troops, causing you to lose objective based games.  And you won't fare much better against shooty enemies, since they will outrange and outgun you, and 3+ armor isn't everything when you have T3.

And by not taking any Exorcists (or even retributors) you exacerbate the problems with this army about ten fold; the version you have here is actually much weaker than the weak army I used once upon a time...
« Last Edit: September 11, 2008, 09:23:33 AM by Ixe »

Offline Wombats

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2008, 01:43:04 AM »
Yeah, all mobs is probably not going to fly. 

I did have a lot of success with two 20-strong Sister squads in a normal mech list (see below). 
That was against Speed Freaks (mech orks). 
He was too scared to get within rapid fire of the big squads and the Rhino squads provided some menace. 

I'm thinking just swap in one 20-strong mob for the closest objective, maybe two. 

Below is what I'm fielding unless I get some serious painting done:

Adeptus Sororitas Heroine
Cannoness
Eviscerator
Jump Pack
Cloak
Brazier
Book of Saint Lucius
Master Crafted Eviscerator

4 x Battle Sister Pyros
Rhino, Smoke, Armour
Ten Sisters
Veteran Superior, Book
Flamer & Heavy Flamer
Brazier

2 x Exorcist
No Upgrades

2 x Seraphim Pyro
Eight Seraphim
Two Flamers
Veteran
Eviscerator
Brazier
Book of Saint Lucius

I have an extra 50 points to spend, tempted by Litanies of Faith or upgrading the Cannoness to the Living Saint

Offline Ixe

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2008, 08:31:07 PM »
That's a pretty solid standard Battle Sisters list.  My suggestion though would be to drop the braziers and trade your regular flamers for meltaguns.  Heavy flamer/flamer/brazier might devastate horde troops, and it will even cut up MEQs with divine guidance.  But vehicles will laugh at you.  Armies with lots of transports and/or dreadnoughts will give you such a headache.  Winning tournaments is about having a good chance against everyone equally since you never know who you'll fight.  If you go all anti-horde, you will struggle against mechanized enemies.  People generally tell me "hey, two exorcists is more than enough."  It is, if luck is with you.  But Exorcists might roll 6 shots and blow up a tank every single round, or they might roll two shots and miss every single round.  Or, the enemy might blow them up on turn one.  Especially with how much more resilient vehicles are in 5th ed, you need to hedge your bets with hedged bets so you're not just likely to take them down, you're sure. 

I've been saying this for a few years now, but people still don't believe me-- Battle Sisters win by using mobility to combine overwhelming forces against single targets.  That's why heavy flamer/melta works.  You probably can't wipe out a powerful unit with one squad, but you can with three.  Even if you have 2-3 flamer templates in each squad, you still need to combine squads.  All it takes is the powerfist vet sarge surviving to tear the crap out of one of your units, and if you rely on luck to wipe out the enemy to the last man, that's what will happen to you.  Like I always say, if something is worth destroying, it's worth using overwhelming force to be guaranteed of destroying it.  If something is not worth using overwhelming force on, a Battle Sisters army probably should use mobility to avoid it or Seraphim to tie it up for a turn.  And when you follow this doctrine, the benefits of versatile squads are realized, because no matter what you need to kill you have the overwhelming force available to turn it into a smoking crater.

Offline Wombats

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2008, 01:06:59 AM »
Against transports I usually Eviscerate them fine. 

I've caught a lot of mech armies by surrounding their transports with a Seraphim squad and the side of an empty Rhino and just autokilled them after popping them in assault. 

I'm really against Meltaguns because they rob you of the 6" movement you need to close on the transports. 

One Heavy Flamer is not going to do half a squad, you'd need three Battle Sister squads to properly wipe out a Tac squad if you took HF/MG with no Brazier.

With the new flamer template simultaneous resolution, 10 point Braziers are a good deal for a lot of dead opponents.