News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Iyanden Wraithguards wip, painting step by step [large pictures]  (Read 2187 times)

Offline Eothen

• Infinity Circuit
Iyanden Wraithguards wip, painting step by step [large pictures]
« on: December 13, 2008, 05:30:18 AM »
It have been some time since I last posted here, so I thought it was time for something special. This post is kind of a follow up on my Wraithguard conversion thread that can be found in the Iyanden project material (Im really flattered that its still around). The aim is to cover painting yellow in general and wraithguards in particular.

Im sorry if the photos are a bit blurry. Haven't got the best of cameras available for this project.

Well, first thing first:

I've started with priming the squad white. No biggie. Just making sure the coat is even over the whole model.

The next step is my yellow priming. I don't have the patience for multiple layers to make the colour look good. The foundation colours really helped me here. As I found that their yellow colours was to brown and to bleak I decided to mixing a little. This base coat is 6 parts Tau ochre and 1 part golden yellow.

Next I have shaded the edges and other dark areas with gryphonne sepia and painted a layer of really wet golden yellow over the tay/golden base coat. The head was then painted enchanted blue.

Next I was a bit caught up in the painting so I missed to take pictures... 

Lots have happened here. The yellow are have gotten a sunburst yellow highlight. The banner have been painted vermin brown and then red gore, as I find that solution makes for the most even covering. The Gun and other parts have been painted black and then highlighted with codex grey. The Head have been shaded with asurmen blue, then highlighted with enchanted blue and lastly more highlighted with ice blue. The spirit stone also have been painted dark angels green.

Still left to do is highlight the banner, finishing the spirit stone and other gems on the model and doing the base.

Offline The_Outcast

• Infinity Circuit
  • I am the only one who left willingly.
Re: Iyanden Wraithguards wip, painting step by step [large pictures]
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2008, 11:52:50 PM »
Okay you've confused. (Although its not very hard to do after 11 o'clock). So you paint the mixed foundations paint, thenwash with the gryphon, then paint on more yellow? I' confused. I like the head and the gun, but I can't see the highlights. I don't if that is a camera problem though.

The_Outcast

Offline Eothen

• Infinity Circuit
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2008, 05:30:23 AM »
No problem. Sorry If I'm not clear.

I paint the foundation/golden yellow mix first. It looks like golden yellow with the easy painting qualities of the foundation paints. Then I wash the edges between armour where I want a contrast. I don't wash the whole model. After that Ill apply a layer of golden yellow to cover any mistakes and make the base layer more yellow... as it is the golden yellow colour I'm aiming at. The Highlight is slight but you should be able to see it on the last picture.

The camera is part of the problem. If I use its flash Ill get the green result from the second picture, so I had to use a lamp and that resulted in all the shadows in the third and fourth picture. But I think you get the idea anyway?

Offline prot

• Infinity Circuit | KoN Veteran
  • Prot ZA113
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2008, 04:07:22 PM »
I wish the picture was a bit bigger, but it does look fantastic so far. Keep it up. I think you've discovered an easier, but really solid way of doing the base colour. That's half the battle to staying motivated to do an entire army. Looks great.

Offline Starrakatt

• Infinity Circuit
  • Bitter Vet
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2008, 04:37:20 PM »
Looks real good so far Eothen, I find the method interesting (and really time saver). I am also curious to see the end result with the red loincloth as opposed to the usual blue.

Continue the good work, can't wait to see the finished product. Psst, sure took your time to paint these man... You have done the modelling what, 3 years ago? ;)

And a link to this thread is going straight to the Iyanden POC Painting Section.

Keep it up,

Starky

Join the POC: Craftworld Iyanden - The Ghost Warriors

Quote from: Farceseer Siranaul
Yes you are being dense.

Offline Eothen

• Infinity Circuit
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2008, 02:24:10 AM »
Here are some bigger version of the pictures (If everything is working).

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c30/Viatorian735/Eldar/DSC04307.jpg

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c30/Viatorian735/Eldar/DSC04368.jpg

Hehe, yeah It have taken me ages. But to my defence, this is the second colouring of them. I actually painted them red before and are redoing them now.

The red loincloth is there to let them fit with the rest of my army.
My colours are red and yellow, with a ever increasing yellow attribute for every model I'm painting (soon Ill only paint yellow :P). Here is a picture of my guardians so you know what I'm trying to sync the guard with. As you can see I've progressed quite far from the "only yellow helmet" to a "only red loincloth".
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c30/Viatorian735/Eldar/Guardian1.jpg