News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Arjac Rockfist and some other Space Wolf Characters (Pic Heavy)  (Read 5937 times)

Offline glock_22

Arjac Rockfist and some other Space Wolf Characters (Pic Heavy)
« on: December 20, 2009, 12:58:54 PM »
Here are some of my latest Space Wolves.  I did a "conversion" of Arjac, if you can call it that.  I just used pieces from the boxed set, based on another model I saw on another forum.  The Wolf Lord and Wolf Priest I posted in the Konversion forum previously, but they are now painted.  The Dread is based on the AoBR dread, with some extra bits added.

Arjac and Company

Wolf Lord standing on an old Bloodletter

Wolf Priest

and the converted AoBR dreadnought

As always, comments and criticism welcome.  I'll be starting on some scouts and another unit of Wolf Guard next, and would like to know if the color scheme (the red) works well or not.  I kinda like it, especially compared to the traditional yellow of Ragnar's Great Company.

Offline Skeeve

• Brushmaster 5000
    • My painting Blog
Re: Arjac Rockfist and some other Space Wolf Characters (Pic Heavy)
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2009, 01:12:48 PM »
Nicely done!. Very impressive. If anything I would highlight armor higher up, but this is just me.

Offline Gorzag Gulgrim

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2009, 01:14:59 PM »
I love these!!! Excellent job all the way around.  I like the shades of red you used and the grey compliments it perfectly.  The only thing that may have been better that I noticed was if you could have used some plasticard to extend the Dreads CC"fingers" to make them into claws, but even so it is one of the best versions of the AoBR Dread I have seen.

Offline Dryad

• Go Jets Go
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2009, 01:18:59 PM »
Sweeeeet. I like em.

What's the grey recipe?

I love the Crozius on the priest. The only thing that isn't clicking with the priest is the topknot. I would chop it off and leave him bald headed, maybe with some rune tatoos on his head... His head needs to stand out, Wolf Priests have a huge role in Space Wolf fluff...

Not sure about Arjac's head too, I always imagined him bald as well...

Otherwise, keep it up!
« Last Edit: December 20, 2009, 01:21:16 PM by Dryad »

Offline Gorzag Gulgrim

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2009, 01:40:24 PM »
Personally I loved the hairness of the various wolves as to me it really kinds of captures a bit of their essesnce.  I like the Run Priests top knot as the painting of the hair is first rate.  I will say I always pictured Arjac as looking somewhat like a scruffy, unshaven huge beast of a man, kind of like Vinnie Jones in the 3rd X-men movie, but bigger.

Offline glock_22

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2009, 02:09:49 PM »
Thanks for the input guys.

@Skeeve - I'm working on improving my highlight/blending technique.  I'll give it a shot on the next batch.

@Dryad - Whenever I post pics of my Wolves, I always get requests for the grey recipe.  If you click on my name and check out previous posts of mine, you should be able to find some responses.  It's basically a craft paint, "stoneware blue" by Accent, that I use as the base over a grey primer coat.  I lighten it with a lighter, muddy grey (not sure the name) and end with a final highlight of Space Wolves Grey.  I try to stay away from the more bluish greys.  There's probably about 4-5 layers with one or two black washes in between for definition and blending.  I use "magic wash" for that, as I can control the opacity better than with GW wash.

Offline Two Hawks

• Eldar "The Race" to be
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2009, 08:50:50 PM »
Those are nice pieces there.
Great painting at least imo.
 I do have 1 question, did you use green stuff for some of the pelts?
"Insignificant are other races to thy ELDAR"

Offline glock_22

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2009, 09:58:28 PM »
Those are nice pieces there.
Great painting at least imo.
 I do have 1 question, did you use green stuff for some of the pelts?

Yes.  I mixed torsos and legs from a regular terminator set and the Wolf Guard box.  Several of them have GS pelts.  If you buy some extra shoulder pads, legs, and torsos, you can really get a lot of mileage out of the Wolf Guard set.