News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Most Dice Output?  (Read 3702 times)

Offline CobraCommander

Most Dice Output?
« on: May 19, 2007, 06:12:48 PM »
Me and my friends  were walking to the gas station to pick up drinks, when we started explaining to the Tau player how using a Kroot squad for a "Hammer" would be a good idea because of the amount of dice you'd get to roll against anything. Everyone counted off how many dice they get with one of their squads, and then I said "If I have a full squad of 32 Hormogaunts, I get 96 attacks if they all make it to CC." They kind of all just stared at me.

After that I started wondering if theres any legal way to actually beat that. Is there some combo, or upgrades, or squad thingamajig that can put out more then 96? Was just curious. It also gives me insight on the strengths of all the other races aswell.

Thanks
COOBBRRAAAA!!
W/L/D for 5th Edition
Splinter Fleet Aquaticus: 0/0/2 - 2.5k total pts
Iron Warriors: 7/1/2 - 4k total pts
W/L/D for 8th Edition
Beastmen: 0/5/2 - 3k total pts

Offline Shade, Bankai King

Re: Most Dice Output?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2007, 06:17:08 PM »
With orks a full squad of slugga boys can get around 120 without a nob.(30 models x 4 attacks per models[Charge,Double ccws,2 basic attacks])
[CENTER

Offline Sheepz

• Marshal: The beatings will continue until discipline improves!
  • Ancient
  • Getting away with murder.
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2007, 06:23:27 PM »
50 Imperial Conscripts (One Unit) with Warrior Weapons = 150 attacks on the charge. That's a lot less likely to be seen than the Slugga boys, though. Many, those orks are vicious.

Offline Guildmage Aech

• FLAMER: Ego Bigger than his Common Sense Centre | 40KO's Care Bear of Spite | Dolphin Death Dealer | 40K Oracle
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Personal text
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2007, 07:01:24 PM »
You can have a unit of 20 chosen, all of whom are upgraded to champions in terminator armour of tzeentch, toting a powerweapon and a powerfist and deamonic mutation (thats 5 attacks each) which makes for 120 attacks on the charge.
Then each one can have 4 chaos hounds so thats an extra 240 attacks on the charge
Then each one can have a chaos spawn as well for an extra 20D6+20 attacks on the charge
Then each one can have 4 thrall wizards as well as that for an extra 160 attacks on the charge

So how does 540+20D6 attacks grab you?
Plus of course if you give all the chosen the psychic power that turns models into spawn you can add more chaos spawn to the unit for even more attacks.

Of course, this is ridiclous and totally silly. But it is allowed. ;D

(ps. I'm sorry  :'()
Rules Expert 2007 | Kijayle Commemorative Award for Acid Wit 2008 | Most Notoriously Valuable Rules Expert 2009 | Most Notorious 2014

Offline Lorizael

• GW Shill: Infinity Circuit: Synergistic Spotter of Numpties
  • Ancient
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2007, 07:37:11 PM »
I wish I could get away with sigging that entire post. It's amazing. :D

Anyway, I think we have a winner...

Offline [dixon]

• I pretend to be other users
  • BANNED
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2007, 07:38:56 PM »
Nope, as he's over the Wargear limit for the Champions.
I pretended to be other members, and finally got BANNED

Offline Decius

• Grot
  • Nurglings, the other white meat.
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2007, 08:48:31 PM »
I don't have the codex with me, but if I remember correctly, back in 3rd Edition the Ulthwe Seer Council could have infinite warlocks, so depending on the points value of the game, you can have unlimited attacks. But I guess it isnt legal anymore.

Offline Gutstikk

• Infinity Circuit | Title here to be dreaded 'til further notice. Rummy's Deepstriking Pylon
  • Ancient
  • I am a Wolf.
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2007, 09:02:10 PM »
How about cost effectiveness?  What is the maximum number of dice you could roll on a single turn in a 1500pt army, provided all of your squads remained unharmed, and the turn played out so that every model generated their maximum number of dice across all three phases?

I think I would still want to stick with orks, off the top of my head, but other armies would get silly too - especially since this opens up the shooting phase but limits things in regards to FOC slots.

Anyone want to take this one on?

Offline chaos0xomega

• Hilary Clinton FTW!
  • Fabricator-General of being banned.
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2007, 11:21:48 PM »
Nope, as he's over the Wargear limit for the Champions.

Not if he drops the Spawn and one Thrall Wizard  ;)
If he did that, then he could add in the Gift of Chaos ability(which costs the same amount as the spawn, IMO a much bettter deal) and all will be well.

How I would do it. Asp. Champ Termie chosen w/ boltpistol, powerweapon, mark of t, 4 chaos hounds, gift of chaos, daemonic mutation, 3 thrall wizards, for a total of 160 points and 24 attacks(if I counted right) on teh charge . Multiply by 20, and you get 3200 points and 480 attacks, with the possiblity to generate more in each shooting phase!
BANNED!
This user has been banned for regular breaches of Forum rules.

Offline [dixon]

• I pretend to be other users
  • BANNED
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2007, 11:22:31 PM »
And it's still illegal as you can't have Bolt Pistols on Terminators.
I pretended to be other members, and finally got BANNED

Offline Guildmage Aech

• FLAMER: Ego Bigger than his Common Sense Centre | 40KO's Care Bear of Spite | Dolphin Death Dealer | 40K Oracle
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Personal text
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2007, 10:12:54 AM »
Ah, fogot about the chaos's funny wargear limits. You'd have to drop the powerfists off the champs but keep mutation so they'd be down to only 5 attacks each on the charge so only 100 from them, then only having 2 hounds each for just 120 extra from then, keep the spawn for 20D6+20 as before and the 4 thrall wizards for 160 more.

So legally a unit can have 400+20D6 attacks on the charge.

And it's still illegal as you can't have Bolt Pistols on Terminators.

Yes, thats nearly as bad a schoolboy error as I made....

How about cost effectiveness?

Oh, well none at all obviously as the entire unit has an average toughness of three, no worthwhile armour save and can only walk 6" a turn... and my unit does cost near on 2500 points (I'm only guessing mind). And couple of large ork mobs would probably eat it...
« Last Edit: May 22, 2007, 10:25:40 AM by Hymirl »
Rules Expert 2007 | Kijayle Commemorative Award for Acid Wit 2008 | Most Notoriously Valuable Rules Expert 2009 | Most Notorious 2014

Offline SpetZoo

• The Undertaker!!
  • Knipps Knipps!
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2007, 11:35:22 AM »
I don't have the codex with me, but if I remember correctly, back in 3rd Edition the Ulthwe Seer Council could have infinite warlocks, so depending on the points value of the game, you can have unlimited attacks. But I guess it isnt legal anymore.

Not unlimited attacks.
Only base to base models and those within an inch or two of a friendly model in bsb gets to attack.
So technically, a infinite number of warlocks could be wiped out by a well placed charge by something with higher Initiative and lots of attacks.  ;D
"Something" charges the warlocks, strikes first and kills enough models to get out of BSB....
Warlocks fail their break-test...
Roll really low on flee and the "Something" makes their sweeping advance into them and kills of the lot.
Been a while since I played 40k, but I think I'm right.
I know Rasmus!
No really! I do. He beats my armies all the time!

Offline Granite Slam

• Fio'el Tautica - I See Stupid People...So Many Stupid People...
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Coolest. Dude. Ever.
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2007, 11:51:13 AM »
   Which again wouldn't work since if there is no b2b there is no sweeping advance. So long as one warlock was left in b2b and they failed as above that would happen.

-S
I reserve the right to end any discussion with a big stick.

Quote from: Rummy
Dark Eldar - better than everyone be-atch! The only reason the Dark Eldar haven't toppled the Imperium is that Terra doesn't have valet parking.

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
  • Lost Roads are now found!
    • 40kOnline
  • Armies: Squats
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2007, 12:24:24 PM »
So to revise; you don't need to kill off all the BtB; just win the combat and then chase them down. Kill one, and don't get wounded back, council blows both Ld-tests (they are assumed to be emboldened) and then get swept down. That would hurt, point-wise.

Lost Roads - finally released!

YouTube-clip of my Squat army.

Offline myles

• Lazerous Penguin
  • This is my game face
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2007, 12:32:03 AM »
So to revise; you don't need to kill off all the BtB; just win the combat and then chase them down. Kill one, and don't get wounded back, council blows both Ld-tests (they are assumed to be emboldened) and then get swept down. That would hurt, point-wise.

Hahaha, I can see the end of that game now...

"Okay, you killed my land raider, assault squad, and chaplain, so you get 250, 120, and 206 victory points. How many points did I get?"
"Well, you killed my seer council, so... you get, umm... infinite victory points."
"... Good game?"
The first problem is the creation of meaningless e-personas. Such personas are undesirable because they lead users to prejudge a post and its content based on their impressions of the author. One is predisposed to criticize a perfectly legitimate comment or praise a stupid one simply because of preconceived notions about who wrote it. Anonymous posting avoids this situation by removing identity from the post, making any praise or criticism directed solely at the content.

Offline cyborlox

« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2007, 10:34:58 PM »
Mine (super unlikely) is simple. Just get a Khorne champion and give him that upgrade weapon where when he rolls 6s, he gets extra attacks. So in theory he cout get an infinite amount of attacks. But thats just silly... or is it?

Offline Que Dan

• These shops do exist...
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2007, 10:06:25 AM »
Plus of course if you give all the chosen the psychic power that turns models into spawn you can add more chaos spawn to the unit for even more attacks.

Of course, this is ridiclous and totally silly. But it is allowed. ;D

That, my good man, is the true meaning of Chaos. And I sig the first part.
Orks. We were the Armageddon wars.

(The owner of this sig is not responsible for the content and/or spelling of this post)