News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: sprue bricks building  (Read 11664 times)

Offline Ailaros

• Why do the poutiest guys get the biggest guns?
    • my webpage
sprue bricks building
« on: June 11, 2008, 02:37:36 AM »
So, yeah, I know it's nothing new, but as I'm out of minis to paint (and can't afford new ones yet  :'() I've decided to do my first terrain piece out of sprue chunks. Basically, the idea is that you cut up the frame of sprues into little chunks and use them as building blocks (in my case, limestone).

So, here we go. The first step is to use a pair of wire snips to just cut some sprue chunks:

Then, I went over the edges and roughed them up a bit with my X-acto knife:

THE WALL

To build a wall section, I started by gluing two bricks end to end, to make them easier to work with:

Then, I determined the length of the wall and simply glued these twosie bricks in one long line to the desired width:

Then, I picked more of the twosie bricks and put them in a line. I had to keep swapping bricks out till I found both a pattern I thought was acceptable, and as well was of the right length (in order to do this later on, I would occasionally have to break twosie bricks apart, or cut down some bricks a little bit):

Then, it's time to glue it on. First, I started by just gluing the far left twosie brick on. Then, after letting the glue dry a little, I added the next one, making sure to put glue on the "bottom" part that would touch the row below it, as well as to the left, so that it would be glued to the brick in the same row:

Repeat until the row is finished.

Anyways, after a lot of waiting for glue to dry and careful laying of my limestone stones, eventually, I had a wall of a height that I wanted (not so tall as to obscure model's LOS, but high enough to look like they'd ectually get a cover save):

Now, while there was a lot of glue holding this lattice together, there was still a lot of holes in it:

The answer, of course, was to mix up some greenstuff. Basically, I went in between the rows for structural support, and as well between some of the bricks that had worse holes between them. Not to worry about how bad it looks, as no one will ever see this (at least, not in the final product):

After doing this whole thing twice, I cut out a pair of long pieces of sprue (note that it's a part I won't be able to turn into bricks  ;)) and used them as spacers and more structural support as I put the two wall faces together. Note that you can only see the top one, but if you flip it over, there's another one running about the same distance down from the edge of the bricks:

In normal circumstances, I'd throw some bricks in the gap going the long way, but I have plans for this particular chunk of wall...

THE ARCH

The next part I started working on was the arched ceiling to this little building chunk to be.

The first thing I did was to figure out how far apart I wanted my two walls to be. After doing this, I found a cup that gave me a nice arc, with about the distance I was looking for. Note that I traced it out on the back of a business card in my attempts to make sure it was what I wanted:

Like with the wall, I started by gluing my little chunks of stone into pairs for ease. This time, though, I glued them by the long sides. I figured that in order to get the arc right, I'd need to place one brick from each row, and then fill out the rows (which will just be straight, like the wall):

Note that I glued them together, and then used the cup to set the arc before the glue dried. In the end, they would have just the slightest curve to them. Here's the pile of them when I got done:

Anyways, once I had the twosie bricks, I just followed the same process, using the cup as a guide to turn twosies into foursies:

Making sure to give enough time for the glue to dry (and adding some more glue in the spaces on the back side for more support), I continued this pattern until I had two giant chunks which I then glued together:

This just being the beginning of each row, there was obviously some stability issues right away. So, VERY carefully, I made up some greenstuff, and filled it in the cracks for structural support:

And, of course, doing this warped my arch a little bit, so I put it back on the cup to reform it and let the greenstuff cure.

After that's done, it's time to make a row, just like on a wall. The difference is that I'm going to have to glue it together and then place it on the cup to make sure that the row has the proper angle:

Then, twosie by twosie, add row after row like this:

Now, by a little after this point, I realised that I had a problem. Something wasn't quite right with the angle of the rows (I think it had something to do with the cup itself). This was causing it to go askew pretty bad by the time I got to the middle. After having to rip up a few rows, I decided to head off further problems by just starting from the other side.

After making a row or two, I then ran up the other side of the arch to connect it, and then start filling in the bricks from there (and even then, things weren't quite lining up):

In the end, I finally finished it up. Things still didn't quite line up, and there was some definite twisting problems. In the end, I had to glue the arch down to my desk so that it would set in a less-skewed way:

I let everything get nice and dry overnight (not necessary if I would have done it right in the first place) and the next day, I went about putting in another row to act as structural support, as well as to help keep it straight (as well as cosmetic purposes):

After this, I went in and filled all the cracks with greenstuff (including with the new face stones I'd just put in), and put another layer of stones on the inside, mostly for cosmetic reasons. Note that the other side of the arch doesn't have the support stones on it, as I intend to attach that side to a wall, giving it all the support I'd need:

This definitely was a sub-project that was a little bit too technically challenging for me. I probably should have done a bigger wall with windows or something first, as there was a lot of little things that went wrong with this.

The first problem was that, no matter how careful I was, the un-rowed parts of the arch would sometimes break, and I'd have to re-glue it. As well, there was the twisting problem, and the fact that the rows stopped running completely perpendicular to the base arc. As well, when I started the  rows on the other side, I found out that they were all systematically a little bit too short, requiring me to go back in with greenstuff to add some brick material.

If I were to do this again, I think that I'd make the arch in 4-row chunks and then just glue those chunks together in the very end.

In any case, I think it came out more or less like how I wanted it, now I've just got to make some pillars on my walls to support this arch.

COLUMNS

The first thing that I needed to do in order to make the support columns that were going to keep the archway up was to measure the front face of the wall, and make a bunch of sprue bricks of the same size to act as a facing. I as well needed to make 5 (my determined height above the walls I wanted my archway to start) of the same width, and 10 of a shorter width for the sides.

To start with, I glued together 5 of the bricks that would make the wall face:

Then, it was a matter of gluing it onto the face of the wall:

Note that for the second wall, I just incorporated the wall face into the column, and just made a set of 10 bricks all glued together. It was slightly less futzy that way.

Anyways, the next step was to put one of the side column faces on:

And then putting the back on, giving me a nearly complete square. Then what I did was goop the heck out of it with greenstuff. There was a LOT of spaces and cracks and other unsightlies, so I had to go in and fill it all up. After placing a couple of greenstuff bands for where I knew the last piece would go in, I inserted the final face:

I then did a few more greenstuff touch-ups, and then added a greenstuff cap to the top (for the archway to sit on), and I was good to go.

THE FINAL ARCHWAY

Then, it was all just a matter of putting it all together. To do this, I placed the walls as far apart as I wanted them, and put some glue on the top. Then I simply stuck the archway on, doing lots of adjustments.

While the front side of the archway has the nice support columns, the back does not. This is because I'm intending on gluing it into a wall behind it. This, of course, meant that once I had everything the way I wanted it, I had to put it face down so that the glue would set properly:

Giving me this as the final result:

Then, before it was all completely set and dry (especially the greenstuff), I went and did some last minute testing to make sure that everything is as I want it.

Firstly, a tank can shoot through the archway, which is good. As well, this archway is just tall enough to obscure any vehicle if it were hiding behind it at a 90 degree angle to this position. This will especially be important given the splotchy rumors I hear about 5th ed.

As well, it's just big enough to fit a walker base, and it's tall enough for particularly tall walkers to fit beneath.

And finally, it fits 6 normal scale dudes. Not only is the wall just high enough to provide some obscurement, but it's also low enough for normal weapon holding infantry to have their guns over the edge of the wall.

All in all, I consider this phase of this project a success. Not everything quite lines up at nice right angles or flush edges, and the top of the archway is a little warpy, but a little more greenstuff and a little bit of paint should hopefully go a long way.

Now all that's left is to make the rest of the building that the archway hooks up into!

RIGHT WALL

so, first I'm going to start with the wall to the right of the arch. I'm thinking of something basic, but with a nice little window in it.

To begin with, I needed to make the outline of the top of the window. To do this, I made a sinmple archway, using the natural angle of the sprue to form the arch. When I realised that this would make a pretty narrow window, I expanded it using the same method:

Then, it was time to make a wall the desired length of the building face on that side, by as high as I wanted the bottom of the window. Note that the reversed bricks would be the ones that were glued to the back of the arch:

Then, of course, it was a matter of greenstuff sealing it, and gluing it onto the arch:

Then, I made two shorter walls that would flank the window. After gluing those on, I just glued the top of the window arch on:

Now all I've got to do is build up the wall until I get to the second level, and I'll be set.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2008, 03:36:40 PM by Ailaros »

Visit my My Battle Report Archive.
Winner of the 2007 "Best Writer of Articles", "Strategic Excellence", and "Imperial Guard Poster of the Year" awards.

Offline Big Bad Wolf

• nomnomnomnom
  • Armies: Space Wolves, Eldar, Dark Angels, Daemons
Re: sprue bricks building
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2008, 03:00:23 AM »
Can't wait to see it all finished and painted! Very nice piece of work you've got going there!
Sunrise Village Games Workshop ~ Puyallup, WA
Home of the SunrisV Gaming Club
"Forever on the Dawn of War!"

Rule #2 - Double Tap

Offline tryanotherone - smurfernating

• SPAMMER: I swear I am not an ad-bot!
  • Pray hard - life is short!
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2008, 03:02:53 AM »
Excellent idea.

Your tutorial is already giving me a bunch of new ideas.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2008, 04:02:39 AM by tryanotherone »
Taking a very long break.

The Rumour Mill - bending the fabric of time and space

Remember Brimstone - legends live forever

Offline Ailaros

• my webpage
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2008, 01:44:30 AM »
Thanks. It's a bit of a tedious project, but it's coming along.

In any case, I got my arch done, check out the OP for the update.

Winner of the 2007 "Best Writer of Articles", "Strategic Excellence", and "Imperial Guard Poster of the Year" awards.

Offline Defenestratus

• RAWRR!
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2008, 12:58:36 PM »
a much easier way of doing this is backing the wall with a piece of foamboard that's been either scotch-guarded or wax mold-released.  That way you can be liberal about the amount of glue.  I like the look though and you've given me some good ideas.  In 5e the value of small walls is actually pretty important.  This is a cool way of doing it.

Offline vendettaseve

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2008, 08:53:03 AM »
Well Im inspired. I always used to carve my bricks out of pink foam and it took FOREVER also they were so light they would float away on me haha :D Guess I know what to do with all thoes left over sprues now.

Thanks man

Offline Shas'Oink

• Sky Ray Pimp Daddy | Infinity Circuit | Ban me, I dare you! | The Fallen didn't fall, they were pushed. | Winner of the 2008 40K Online Longest Title Competition, awarded again with oak leaves, five years and running | Now with O:nkling! | Axe
  • Ancient
  • 87% sure I'm straight
    • oinks overambitious terrain project(s)
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2008, 09:06:07 AM »
that is what is officially known as the win, the bees knees, the dogs the Udders of Thoth.

i love it.

Offline Ailaros

• my webpage
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2008, 08:16:33 PM »
Thanks!

So, I put up the steps to the end of the archway in the OP.

Anyways, the reason why I'm doing it this way instead of out of foam is for two reasons. The first is that I have sprue waste, but I don't have foam, and, more importantly, the funds to spend on said foam.

Secondly, Foam seems awfully brittle and breakable and otherwise damageable. This archway is built out of hard plastic, cured greenstuff and lots of superglue. It could probably be dropped out of a high-speed moving vehicle (or worse, being thrown into a terrain bin) without suffering serious damage.

Offline azore24

• Infinity Circuit
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2008, 08:43:49 PM »
It looks a bit "meh" to me.  It is awesome, but i don't understand why the rear of the arch has no support.  Beyond that, I am going to steal this idea.

What size of sprue is this (like what part of the sprue)?  Damn, I need greenstuff.
Unsophisticated players might think that the Letter of the rules is more important than the Spirit - but the Letter isn't liable to sneak up behind you with an axe if you abuse it.
"Esprit de Core," 2005

Offline Ailaros

• my webpage
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2008, 10:11:42 PM »
just wait until it's connected to a wall behind it.

and as for what part of the sprue, I usually use the thicker parts that make up the outside frame.

note, that doing terrain this way, like doing actual masonry, is very slow. Not that I have anything better to do with my time...

Offline azore24

• Infinity Circuit
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2008, 11:10:39 PM »
Well, I'll be doing research a few states away from home with only a few lengthy packets to do adn another month after that.  So I think I can get  a little done.  Maybe it'll be basing my DA who are getting a wall.

Can't wait for the rest of it.
Unsophisticated players might think that the Letter of the rules is more important than the Spirit - but the Letter isn't liable to sneak up behind you with an axe if you abuse it.
"Esprit de Core," 2005

Offline Ansteadt

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2008, 01:09:26 AM »
Excellent project!  I think I have finally found a use for all of those frames that I've been hoarding!  Have you considered a cheaper alternative to GS for filler?  maybe miliput or something along those lines? 

Also, I've been using Plastruct Bondene cement for putting plastics together.  little bottles are cheap and last alot longer then glue.  Brush on and it slightly melt the plastic and bonds the two parts together.  Its very thin and flows like water.  You might be able to lay out a sheet of loose brick and just brush the stuff on one side and its bonded!   
Although it would be nice to credit the General with fearing for his own troop's safety, it would probably be the case the he was not given the opportunity to lay waste to his own men in a wonderful show of power to the enemy.

Offline Ailaros

• my webpage
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2008, 03:40:27 PM »
Well, I've started on the walls now. OP has been updated.

Excellent project!  I think I have finally found a use for all of those frames that I've been hoarding!  Have you considered a cheaper alternative to GS for filler?  maybe miliput or something along those lines? 

The thing is that I bought a galeforce 9 GS tube set a half a year ago. The amount of greenstuff you get is more than I could use in a lifetime of sculpting hair and moustaches on my guardsmen. Thus, I feel like I have some to spare. If I want to do a giant project after my greenstuff runs out, then I'll definitely look at alternatives.

Also, I've been using Plastruct Bondene cement for putting plastics together.  little bottles are cheap and last alot longer then glue.  Brush on and it slightly melt the plastic and bonds the two parts together.  Its very thin and flows like water.  You might be able to lay out a sheet of loose brick and just brush the stuff on one side and its bonded!

Yes, I've heard about this stuff, and it sounds neat. Alas, though, I  don't have any, nor do I know where to get any. In any case, I am definitely pouring normal superglue into cracks in a similar way to how you describe (well, I glue them together normally, and then I go back and fill the cracks). It doesn't melt the plastic, but so far it's doing okay.

Offline Cpt. Pain

• Captain
  • Down but not out!
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2008, 11:59:40 AM »
the 'bondene' works in the same way as poly-cement, a common item in any model shop ever....

PSN: Leman Vanquisher

Offline Banned Solorg

• WAAAAAAAaaaaaban...
  • Orks is never beaten. only banned
    • Tellyport to the Ork Board Now
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2008, 04:47:35 PM »
Mind-blowing project.  Thanks for sharing it.
BANNED - because spamming catches up with you in the end.  Especially someone who uses a school server to host Orks and loli.

Orks iz BEST cause we were made to FIGHT and WIN

Offline qwertypp7

« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2008, 05:03:52 PM »
Wow... I had no idea of the things you could build with leftover sprues... I have hundreds of the things lying around so I might give something like this a try.

Offline MajorMcNicol

• My blog: projects and pictures
  • Armies: Imperial Guard, Planetary Defense Force
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2008, 06:13:04 PM »
Wow - I'm really impressed by this!  I wish I had kept years' worth of model sprues now!  How are you planning on painting it?
40k Blog:  Andy G. and Ian C. | Warhammer 40,000, Battlefleet Gothic and more
40k, WFB, DW, FS:A, Necromunda, BFG, FOW

Kislev is land and land is Kislev.

Offline vendettaseve

« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2008, 02:52:47 PM »
Just a little note I discovered whilst making my own little brick buildings.

Warhammer FB sprues are about twice as thick as 40K ones. Much easier to work with :D

Offline SpinachBaron

« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2008, 03:56:22 PM »
A very nice project and a great turorial, I'll have to reconsider throwing my waster sprues away now :D

Offline ALshroth

• Autoarch of Althan
    • My WIP website
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2008, 01:53:55 AM »
And people thought railway modellers were mad for keeping the sprues.
Very nice use of the sprue's.
See almost every part of a kit is usable.
When the Biel-tan fled there home worlds they left behind many living people on many worlds, however unknown to them a world survived unharmed and unchanged there name was forever changed to Althan.
My Home - www.ajb2k3.co.uk 2008.