News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Squats Are Back!  (Read 2280 times)

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
Squats Are Back!
« on: February 2, 2018, 12:13:32 PM »
Yup. You read that right! Squats are back!

And by that, I mean that a single Squat is back...

...In Necromunda.

Check out the video:

Tick, Tock... - Warhammer Community

I think this is another great video from GW. I love that they're bringing back one of the little abhumans...I also love the nod to the fact that the 3 most asked about things are Squats, Sisters and there plastic Thunderhawk. I love the idea that every time they get asked about, the clock gets wound back, further away from them actually happening...

Also, did anyone else notice that the Sisters clock is at 1155? Maybe a hat tip to them being released soonish. Maybe just another joke at the expense of Sisters players.

Anyway, I'll be picking up a Squat when it is released. Looking forward to seeing the aesthetic of the model.

Is anyone else excited by this?
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
Re: Squats Are Back!
« Reply #1 on: February 2, 2018, 12:14:59 PM »
If this is some vague indication of someday there being an *actual Squat faction* again, then I'm interested.

If this is just a one-off, then meh, I couldn't care less.

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
« Reply #2 on: February 2, 2018, 12:50:43 PM »
Pretty sure it's going to be necromunda only. Still a nice little nod to the nostalgia crowd. Same with the old school beatman they have for necromunda.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
« Reply #3 on: February 2, 2018, 01:10:35 PM »
Of course, for all Epic players out there, Squats never went away ;).

This is a genuine surprise.  I really did not think that GW would countenance the return of Squats to the 40K universe, even though I would be astonished if it were to go beyond this small contribution to Necromunda.  It's a great little bonus for the Necromunda community :).
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #4 on: February 2, 2018, 03:55:05 PM »
Thanks, Looshkin!
I'm going to try and convince as many people as possible to buy this. GW could be testing the waters here. If they sell well. Show there is a demand for squat. Then they may bring the army back in 40K.

If the sales are poor, however, Squat won't be back... Be well!!

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
« Reply #5 on: February 2, 2018, 06:22:02 PM »
Thanks, Looshkin!
I'm going to try and convince as many people as possible to buy this. GW could be testing the waters here. If they sell well. Show there is a demand for squat. Then they may bring the army back in 40K.

If the sales are poor, however, Squat won't be back... Be well!!

Oh, I don't know that it'll be used as a marketing tool with a view to bringing Squats back. They always said that they didn't have a good image for the army, so unless this new model brings a totally new approach, I still can't see them having a viable idea for a range.

However, I am definitely buying one. It'll be seriously cool and also I will be able to exorcise some of the daemons that are still with me from the first Squats I painted when I was 10. I can still hear the mocking laughter of my Dad and Brother to this day. rather unsavoury chap, what-ho old bean?s.
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #6 on: February 2, 2018, 07:15:39 PM »
With the next level modeling, GW has at their disposal nowadays, I reck'n they'd have some Micky Mouse war machines. My regular opponent in epic has a squat army and those big, honk'n gun trains would look good in 40K.

Offline Sir_Godspeed

• Lazerous Penguin
  • "Bees. My God" was an obscure Batman quote.
« Reply #7 on: February 4, 2018, 03:57:23 PM »
Honestly, I'm just enjoying that they're having fun with these announcements. I'll admit my hopes got a bit dashed when at the end of the video it was revealed to only be one miniature for necromunda (at least for now), but hey, it's still pretty amusing and kinda cool.

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #8 on: February 5, 2018, 02:30:42 PM »
Oh, I don't know that it'll be used as a marketing tool with a view to bringing Squats back. They always said that they didn't have a good image for the army, so unless this new model brings a totally new approach, I still can't see them having a viable idea for a range.

The video is definitely cool and I enjoy the way GW has joined in with the whole reset the clock meme of the fans. A sentiment I have seen on the Internet, and one that I think I agree with, is that the breaking of the Squat clock means it can no longer be reset and one model is GW's all that the Squats will be getting.
Quote from: Starrakatt
"Russ, get your work done or you won't see your damn console for the next month!"
Quote from: Cavalier
Honestly Alienscar, we get it... you dont like painting!