News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 40k UNline: general assembly meeting (only certified nation states posters pls)  (Read 5763 times)

Offline faithlessmonkeigh

• Dracon. Nope, no more title shenanigans.
  • let me!! judge you!!
First meeting of the UN general assembly is in *ahem session.
faithlessmonkeigh secreterary general here.

rules please: irresponsible behaviour will result in a banning from the debating chambers, posting will only be accepted from certified states (if you wish you apply for a position please PM faithlessmonkeigh).

all posts will begin with: "Honourable representitive of....... :"

spamming will not be tolerated

disrupting the proceedings will not be tolerated

members will be asked to vote on issues: wherein u can vote or abstain

personal attacks on other diplomats will not be tolerated

personal attacks on the secretary general will ntt be tolerated

in the event of non compliance by a state the UNline senate can impose trade restrictions, banning of certain states and/or UNline military intervention... such action requires a postitive vote from more than 3/4 of nations.

any motion attempting to be passed can be vetoed if more than 1/4 of the nations post a negative response.

first topic for discussion: world wide poverty.

Secretary generals opening comments: I am proposing a joint nation initiative to effect real change in regards to poverty in 3rd world nations that can successfully transcend 3rd world corruption.

it entails the use of UNline states funds, and UNline state planning and direct supervision of the appropriate infrastructure in 3rd world nations: wells, farms, grain silos, irrigation systems to remove the basic barriers in the way of health.

because these initiatives will be managed by Unline member states the corruption at a higher level can be curtailed, adn to make sure that the resources are not missmanaged and used in a corrupt fashion once they are completed, will remain in UNline hands and be managed by Unline staff.

(note this topic is a draft, after this point i will encourage nation states to PM me with issues they would like to bring up and i will start topics on them, which is the stlye it should be)

SecGen FAithless

« Last Edit: October 29, 2006, 04:38:44 AM by faithlessmonkeigh »

...Aaaaaaaand you completely missed the point of the topic.  Thanks.
-Kyure -

Offline chaos0xomega

• Hilary Clinton FTW!
  • Fabricator-General of being banned.
Honourable representitive of the United States of America:

I will support this, so long as any monetary funding is carefully monitored to ensure that it does not fall into the hands of those that would misuse it.

Furthermore, I suggest that we attempt to disarm guerillas and other militant/paramilitary groups in the nations that we are attempting to provide aid to, to ensure that our workers aren't put into harms way, as well as to ensure that our investment, so to speak, does not fall into the hands of a regime founded through a coup that supports actions unfavorable to the west.
BANNED!
This user has been banned for regular breaches of Forum rules.

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
Honourable Representative of the French Republic:

While the previous speaker may be credited for his enthusiasm in offering members of his armed forces for an as yet undefined mission in as of yet undefined countries, I suggest we step back for a moment and at least narrow our focus to an exact territory. I would suggest we focus upon the continent of Africa in the large sense and begin with an individual state. Once we have identified a proper plan we may then enact that plan elsewhere.

Also, I would suggest that the previous speaker please remember that not all of our member nations are considered “the west.” Let not these missions of peace and charity become mere callous political tools.
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

• let me!! judge you!!
faithlessmonkeigh secreterary general : i would ask the member states of the United States and France to put aside any personal differences and work constructively on this agenda.

i would suggest that all of the managerial work involved in this project be in the hands of the UN, hopefully transcending local corruption in the area

perhaps there are nations in Africa in which this initiative would be more favourable as the first nations to enact this in, in which case i would ask our member states to nominate those that they feel comfortable interracting with in regards to issues of corruption and safety.

i also believe that a trial is high advisable in one state first.

furthermore i would like to remind the chambers that this initiative is about tackling poverty first and foremost.

-Kyure -

Offline Chuckles, The Space Marine Clown

• Can't Touch This; Captain; Swarmlord - Tyranid Sweatshop Operator; 40KO's Official WMD; "No American orphans, please"
  • Ancient
  • I kill, maim and torture because I care
Honourable Representative of the Republic of Rwanda:

I am keen to emphasise the need for this council to look at the problems being faced by Africa. However, to concentrate on one single nation would prove a cumbersome and sluggish task, and it is doubtful that it would ever be completed to anyone's satisfaction. Equally, the action that we have seen so far in attempts to alleviate the problem in Africa have proved far less effective than they might seem. While interventions such as Live Aid provide the West with an opportunity to feel good about their contribution without having to devote much effort to ensuring their success, it achieves little. To truly help the continent recover from its current disastrous state, basic amenities need first to be provided. Building a decent road system may lack the glamour of airlifting packages of food to destitute villages, but it is the only solution that will achieve the goals set here.
The forum rules are fair and just. *twitch*

Offline DUDEMAESTRO

• JESUS SAVES! Everyone else takes critical damage.
Honourable Representative of North Korea:

First of all I would hereby like to thank all of the Members of the UNline General Assembly for its gracious offer for the opportunity for the voices of the Workers and People of North Korea to be heard.

The workers and people of North Korea would like to add that this program should not be used as a control measure against the rightful governments of other nations. Using such a gracious humanitarian mission as a base for political punishment and/or to further ones own military agenda is abhorrent.

It is the hope of the all the peoples and Workers of North Korea that the rightful and dutiful governments of nations that receive such support will be solely appointed in the distribution of said aid to its people, as it is those governments who will have the best approximation of where the aid will do the most good.
"... of the liberty of conscience in matters of religious faith, of speech and of the press; of the trail by jury of the vicinage in civil and criminal cases; of the benefit of the writ of habeas corpus; of the right to keep and bear arms... If these rights are well defined, and secured against encroachment, it is impossible that government should ever degenerate into tyranny."

-James Monroe

Offline Goyder

• Workshy Lord Moddissar General, The King of Tanks
  • Ancient
  • Australian
Honourable Representative of the United Kingdom:

I fear that we have bitten off far to much than we can chew. Its all very good to say that we should deal with World Wide poverty, but the problem is so gigantic we can't possible tackle it. And if we, the UN become unfocused and have too many issue to deal with, I fear we will have no affect at all. I would rather we assist the countries most desperate. 

As such, I propose we assist a few countries that are in the most desperate need to combat poverty. I would also propose that instead of just giving these nations food and water, that we assist in giving them the tools and skills needed to maintain their own farms and wells to reduce the need for World Aid.

If this is to go ahead, we will have to quickly decide on which countries need assistance first, then move on from there.

I would also like to point out my concern to a statement made by my honourable colleague from North Korea. In his previous speech he said; "It is the hope of the all the peoples and Workers of North Korea that the rightful and dutiful governments of nations that receive such support will be solely appointed in the distribution of said aid to its people, as it is those governments who will have the best approximation of where the aid will do the most good.

The UK would definitely not approve, nor support any initiative that relies on our aid being merely handed over to any Government. These developing countries are often besieged by Civil War, or their Government, or lack of Government is corrupt! Our aid will merely be squandered and our efforts useless. If we are to help these people, I would prefer, nay, demand that our UN Peace Keepers hand out the aid and support to these people. I would also invite the North Korean government to send peacekeepers to assist in the distribution of the aid.

In response to my American colleque comments of "Furthermore, I suggest that we attempt to disarm guerillas and other militant/paramilitary groups in the nations that we are attempting to provide aid to, to ensure that our workers aren't put into harms way, as well as to ensure that our investment, so to speak, does not fall into the hands of a regime founded through a coup that supports actions unfavorable to the west".

You ask the impossible! Our UN troops should be under a strict mandate to simply look after the supplies, and insure it gets to where it is needed. We should not get involved with another countries civil war, as it can only complicate issues.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2006, 08:17:17 PM by Goyder »
Real men fight in Tanks!

• let me!! judge you!!
faithlessmonkeigh secreterary general: Perhaps the member for the UK would have some suggestions then?
You ask the impossible! Our UN troops should be under a strict mandate to simply look after the supplies, and insure it gets to where it is needed. We should not get involved with another countries civil war, as it can only complicate issues.

and i would hope that this mission would be solely about the construction of infrastrucutre... not raw food aid.

and if it could be helped i would hope we could avoid sending any "troops" into the areas at all.

-Kyure -

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator

The honourable representative for the United Kingdom does have valid points. I suggest that a port city be identified where a UNLine advance team may be positioned. From there we may see what improvements are necessary to improve the port itself and then the road structure from that port to associated areas. At the same time, I ask that engineering teams be sent to townships and other areas of population growth in the region to advance their facilities in the manner of water supply, sanitation, and education. Our two projects will then meet in the middle ready for future expansion of the programme.

Let is identify the projects first and then gather what aid is required to complete these projects. Our goal is not to fill warehouses and then wash our hands of the affair.
Drink
Knights Tippler

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline Captain Hajime

• 1st Regiment Fuji System
    • Captain Hajime's Warhammer Web site
Honourable representitive of Japan

Perhaps we should identfy the four poorest nations in the world, or to be a little more fair, the poorest in asian the poorest in South America and the Two poorest in Africa, where we realize the need is greatest. We cannot expect the UN to keep up such efforts forever, so I suggest a term limit and an agreement from more develop nations to supply the man power. It seems greatly that some meber have thier manpower stretched greatly trying to meet everything that they have agreed to do in the UN after other nations restrict thier manpower.   
"Men from different wordls, with different views, bound together by loyality to the Emperor. This is what we have become." Captain Hajime
"I have remembered, I do remember, I will always remember."
Imperial Guard, Space marines and Ork Collector.
First Fuji Regiment W: 0 L:     2 D: 4
Tenno No Samurai W: 1 l: 5 D: 7

Offline DUDEMAESTRO

• JESUS SAVES! Everyone else takes critical damage.
Honourable Representative of North Korea:

We agree that where legal governing entities do not exist dispersion should be overseen by a appropriate UN appointed committee. However, this should not be seen as an open invitation to “send in the troops” as it were. No one here is suggesting that aid be simply “handed over” to just any government. But if a nation is found “needy” of such assistance and has a legal government (i.e. one at these meeting) already in place ready and willing to disperse such goods then the need to divert further funds, that could be useful elsewhere, is unnecessary. Many nations who require such aid already have an infrastructure in which to deploy these goods.

The peoples and workers of the North Korean State are in agreement that assistance with providing an infrastructure for these nations to produce indigenous food sources should be the overriding theme if this lofty goal of feeding the worlds hungry is to be long-term. Several nations have an excellent system for making copious amounts of food, it is those resources that would prove most valuable in the long term.

The people and workers of North Korea would of course be willing to send any non-military aide that it can for this program, as long as if fits into the agreed upon framework. We do not believe that it is a military crusade to feed the hungry.
"... of the liberty of conscience in matters of religious faith, of speech and of the press; of the trail by jury of the vicinage in civil and criminal cases; of the benefit of the writ of habeas corpus; of the right to keep and bear arms... If these rights are well defined, and secured against encroachment, it is impossible that government should ever degenerate into tyranny."

-James Monroe

Offline Lomendil

• Mad Prophet of Commorragh
  • Ancient
  • If it's comprehensible, it's obselete

Honourable Representative of the People's Republic of China:

China echoes the sentiments of North Korea. We would not wish to see any charitable venture hiacked by imperialist or capitalist opportunism. The coercion or even removal of rightful governments would be unacceptable. Not involving them in affairs directly affecting their people would also be unacceptable.

We would also suggest that Western corporations exploiting the Third World for labour and resources be restrained by their respective governments.

China also agrees with the French delegate. Infrastructure is a key component. Many Chinese companies are capable of efficiently performing such construction and engineering contracts.

We suggest that the best countries to aid first would be those with the most economic potential. If able to realize that potential, they would be able to contribute aid themselves to other poverty-stricken nations in their regions, and act as a stable anchor for the region as well.

Offline Goyder

• Workshy Lord Moddissar General, The King of Tanks
  • Ancient
  • Australian
Honourable member of the United Kingdom:

We also agree that we should assist in the infrastructure of these developing nations, as previously stated food Aid should be a priority for now, but we must also help develop these countries so that they can look after their own.

We do however, disagree on several points made by the Representative of North Korea and China, primarily in the choice of Nations to receive such aid, and how it should be distributed.

We have no intention of merly "Sending in the troops" as it where. However, with such failures with delivering aid such as Somalia still fresh in our minds, we feel it would be imperative for a unified UN force, made from all countries to defend the shipment of Food aid, and in assistance of building infrastructure. Otherwise it may just turn into a waste of resources and time.

We also disagree in sending aid to countries that have the most economical potential first. Those in most need should first receive aid, with lesser assistance given to those countries that are 'better off'. As for dishing out "contracts" for construction and enginering projects, we feel that first we should see what Donations and free projects we can utilise before Countries start profiting on such ventures. When, and if we go that way, we should split such contracts evenly with each country that can provide such abilities so no one nation takes advantage of the people of these nations.

We would also like to see a UN committee review and UN troops too defend such contracts and efforts to insure everything is being done in the correct fashion. However, we would prefer not to travel down this path, but merly assist these countries so that they can develop their own skills and equipment so that these countries are not so heavily reliant on our aid.
Real men fight in Tanks!

Offline Abraxas

• You do not speak for the rest...
Honorable member of the Netherlands:

We wish to know how this current plan differs from the plan currently in place to change the condition of those already starving countries. The UN already supplies large amounts of food, which is often times sold not to those that need it, but warring guerrilla groups who act as personal armies to those that ruthlessly dictate policy in said country. If the UN wishes to change things it MUST ensure that the distribution is handled BY UN officials.

The points above, while echoed by fellow delegates, has not had a Worthy responce. This is not the time to address business opportunities or contracts. While I need not remind you who this program should be benefitting (the countries in need) I feel compelled to ask my fellow delegates to forgo their opportunistic tendencies in the hope that the UN looks less like a rabid pack of bureaucrats and more like the shapers of global prosperity.

We are all in agreement that these shipments must be monitored, but an international troop presence may NOT be needed. Employing such a force would add to the bill, something we should try and avoid. May I suggest that the cargo is literally dropped off straight to those that need it, bypassing the ports, a prime place for mischief by those with more heinous intentions. This can be accomplished by loading the food and supplies onto pallets, which are then carefully dropped by cargo planes taking off from the nearest airstrip that can accommodate them. Helicopters operating from cargo ships may be able to alleviate some of the burden as well.

This requires the "donation" of capable aircraft. Now, although this may seem drastic, it ensures that the food is put in the place it needs to be while bypassing the possibility if getting into the wrong hands.
The avalanche has started, it is too late for the pebbles to vote.
Ambassador Kosh

The universe is driven by the complex interaction between three ingredients: matter, energy, and enlightened self-interest.
Ambassador G'Kar

Offline Salami

• I'm a just unworthy of a custom title.
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Remember Greenstuff.
Honourable representative of Saudi Arabia.

Saudi Arabia is one of the biggest aid donors, and we will not shy away from an opportunity to increase the effectiveness of Foreign Aid. We, too, believe in increasing infrastructure, as well as building schools and hospitals, and introducing improved agricultural techniques. We ourselves have done such things before. A comprehensive, structured program to do this will reduce costs of construction as well, allowing us to build more.

However, we MUST stress that these actions be made co-operative with local governments, to prevent exploitation by the   construction companies involved. That would go against our principles, and against Islam.

May 2027: 40K 8th edition is released. The rules are now so simple that they embody the perfect emptiness of zen, accidentally causing thousands of players to become one with the universe.

June 2027: Someone complains on a message board that the 8th edition 40K rules, while the path to true enlightenment, do not feature realistic armour saves.

(Rictiovarus is the Tavern antichrist).

Offline Captain Hajime

• 1st Regiment Fuji System
    • Captain Hajime's Warhammer Web site
Honourable representitive of Japan,

I would have to disagree with the members from China and agree with the member of United Kingdon about helping those with the most economic potental. Clearly the need here is to provide aid to the needy. further, the member from China is not suggesting legisaltion on Corperations from their home nations to affect their operation in other nations which would infringe on the Soverity of the Third World nations to govern themselves.

Clearly the main point of this is to get aid to where it need without anyone misusing it.
"Men from different wordls, with different views, bound together by loyality to the Emperor. This is what we have become." Captain Hajime
"I have remembered, I do remember, I will always remember."
Imperial Guard, Space marines and Ork Collector.
First Fuji Regiment W: 0 L:     2 D: 4
Tenno No Samurai W: 1 l: 5 D: 7

Offline Lomendil

• Mad Prophet of Commorragh
  • Ancient
  • If it's comprehensible, it's obselete
Honourable Representative of China

While the sentiments of those who desire to help the 'most' needy first are admirable in intent, these sentiments are oversimplistic. The qualitative and quantitive differences between the living standards of people in undeveloped Third World countries with a lot of economic potential and those in Third World countries with little potential are generally minimal, and at least not to a degree where one can be said to be much more direly in need than the other.

In any case, it is the potential of the nation that is being spoken of, not necessarily current level of development and living standards. There is not a direct correllation. A country with more potential than another may also have more poverty.

One must see the larger picture and regard favourably aiding countries that have the most potential to strongly support themselves as being like triage. Initiatives in those countries will produce quicker and more positive results and in turn serve to stabilize the dangerous regions in which many Third World nations are located. It would also serve to show quickly and from the start that the program can produce real success, which would encourage other nations to involve themselves more.

China also suggests that dropping food directly to poverty-stricken areas within countries will serve only to alienate the governments of said countries against both UN and the countries' citizens, and even if successful would only create a parasite nation.

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• Global Moderator

Might I add that airdrops are also notoriously inadequate and inefficient compared to other means of transport. Improving road works would far better aid an area than dropping food and supplies in the meantime. I suggest we better direct our resources and attention to more long term gains than those possible in the short term.

I suggest that a short list of territories and/or countries be drawn up so that we may begin forward planning. The French Republic suggests Sierra Leone as our organisation has shown great success there previously. She is also a coastal country allowing rapid resupply from many of our nations. We have positive recognition in the area as well as helped pacify the region.
Drink
Knights Tippler

Offline chaos0xomega

• Hilary Clinton FTW!
  • Fabricator-General of being banned.
Honourable Representative of the United States of America:

I second the Representative of the French Republic's sentiments. Furthermore, I would like to stress that any nations which are targeted to recieve this aid be coastal nations with at least partially established infrastructure.

A nation like this allows for easy supply, has a natural call to tourists, and can be used as a staging point for further forays into a continent to deliver aid.

Furthermore, I suggest a definition of aid be created to further simplify talks and facilitate better understanding.

Let aid be defined as food supplies, medical supplies, infrastructure establishment, and educational aid.
BANNED!
This user has been banned for regular breaches of Forum rules.

Offline Fury

• Glory to the Dark Gods
Honorable representative of Russia.

While Russia was a socialist republic for most of the 20th century, and therefore maintained the ideology that communism was the answer to poverty and inequality, our reformed leadership and the delegate respectfully requests that Russia has already done more than any other nation already in promoting policies of equality an opportunity for those living in impovershed nations. Through our influence in China and Eastern Europe, our former leadership has laid the foundation for an cooperative economic environment with these countires already. With our embrace of economic expansion, we will be able to offer aid on a par with the rest of the world's nations.

We echo the sentiments that the wealthy nations of Western Europe, Asia and North America contribute as much as possible to the promotion of economic development in the Middle East, Africa, and Southeast Asia.

While Russia remains an idealogical proponent of reducing poverty, we also reserve the right to protect our own agricultural, inteleectual and natural resource interests. Also, we ask that the other member nations respect our existing trade and economic interests with certain countries, and not pressure our leadership to influence policy on their behalf, unless it is mutually beneficial for Russia to do so.

That being said, we welcome an international coalition to generate ideas on how best to combat poverty, and what steps we may take together to decrease it worldwide.
Ruinous Powers - My Chaos Space Marines Blog
http://ruinouspowers.blogspot.com