News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Some of my best...I think.  (Read 1176 times)

Offline Jerseyboy381

• The Jersey General
Some of my best...I think.
« on: January 21, 2009, 01:44:41 AM »
Here are a few pictures of what I feel are some of my best work.  I know I'll never come close to a Golden Demon or anything, but I was wondering what others might think of my slowly developing ability.
Grey Knights: Not too fantastic, but I really like what I did with the Justicar's Nemesis weapon.  I've used this on other Power Weapons since then.

Ultramarines Command Characters:

A few Chaos Squads, Plague Marines, Posessed and my Rhinos done up to look less like their loyal counterparts.

Finally my Defiler, which has yet to recieve its last wash.

Zoom in on my favorite feature...the Defiler's claws covered in its last victim.

I'm interested on opinions, but be kind.
Everyone else is doing it so...Behold the great General's gaming blog!
Armies: ULTRAmarines!, Necron, Vampire Counts, Pure Nurgle CSM.
Work-in-progress armies:Tau, Orks, Empire.

Offline scarycrow

Re: Some of my best...I think.
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2009, 08:00:03 AM »
pretty nice like the wings

Offline Moonsinger

• The Cause of Priapism | Meanie!
  • Ancient
    • KFD-Comics
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2009, 08:34:04 AM »
hm the ultramarines looks rather plain, no "depth" in them. Though the nurgle looks nice :)
You could water down some black paint and gently brush over the "clean colour", specialy areas such as that defiler claw. Its nurgle, should look dirty ;), or instead of black paint, use dark green.

Another tip would be to use a model knife, cut some damage on the models, then use the wattered down black/dark green. :)
Dwarf Females <3
Priapism is considered a medical emergency, which should receive proper treatment by qualified medical people

Offline Interrogator_Chaplain

• Just say you won't repent, I dare you.
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2009, 12:49:22 PM »
I *LOVE* the gold on your Ultramarines, very resplendent!

Offline tryanotherone - smurfernating

• SPAMMER: I swear I am not an ad-bot!
  • Pray hard - life is short!
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2009, 02:43:14 PM »
Lol, I like the Nurgel Marines better. Can't explain why but I always thought the army is the most interesing of all chaos SMs. Your painting caught the 'feel' quite well if I may say so.
Taking a very long break.

The Rumour Mill - bending the fabric of time and space

Remember Brimstone - legends live forever

Offline Seth the Dark

• On the Maiden world called "Earth"
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2009, 06:58:57 PM »
The Nurgle models are by far the best. Although they could be a little "dirtier". The Ultramarines just need a little more depth.
"They say the Darkness consumes you. They don't say what happens after It's done."

Offline Cortez

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2009, 07:07:05 PM »
Everything looks great but there is one little thing.
The gold on the ultrasmurfs appears to be too thick and you painted cassius' skull as skin, or in very similiar colours. (Yes i'm aussie, that's not a spelling error.)
Quote from: arah
first thing you dont need to mob opponents as marines. YOU ARE SPACE MARINES DAMNIT MOBBING IS FOR OKRS!!!
Quote from: Starrakatt of the Chortling Chainsaw
Self proclaimed kings - that's three now: Seer Fox, Thalandir, Shloeb... Self proclaimed gods are bigger, meaner and mightier.

Offline Chosen Man

• Princeps Maximus, Swarmlord, High Lord of Rummy's Privy due to Pissing Him Off, Pookie noobkin, Now 5% less organic
  • Ancient
  • Yes my other car is an AT-AT....
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2009, 10:51:51 PM »
I agree with others that the Nurgle forces could do with a bit of a dark washing down. They just look way to clean for your average Nurgle force.

I like the Grey Knights, you did a good job on them from what I can see.

As for the SMurfs, I would suggest maybe also washing the gold to tone it down a bit, it looks too bright. Possibly a watered down Purple wash would work well on the gold, to work it into the edges some. Also the tan on faces could use some work, not to mention the eyes missing.

over all its a good collection, keep up the good work and you'll soon get better and better at this!  ;D
"Follow me if I advance! Kill me if I retreat! Avenge me if I die!" -Tactica Imperium

Rynnsguard HQ: My Imperial Blog

Anarchy's Heart: My Alpha Legion Blog

Offline DJ-of-E

• Slow Painter is Slow
    • DJ-of-E's 40k Album
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2009, 04:05:17 AM »
Can you tell us your chronological order of your pictures/models?  Sometimes, we could tell your current development overtime and say what you have improved over the time as well as what you should be trying to do in order to continuously improve in skill.

Otherwise, I would like to reserved my judgement as I'm going through a similar slowly developing progress.  You should see my Thousand Sons from when I first joined, roffles!

Offline Jerseyboy381

• The Jersey General
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2009, 01:14:31 PM »
The Grey knights and Calgar were fairly early on...Spring-summer of last year (i've only been in the hobby since last February).  Sicarius was done about a month after the new codex...the other characters were in December.  The Plague Marines, Posessed and chaos rhinos were done in November and December and the defiler I finished last week.  my Ultramarines are done pretty cleanly to reflect their prim and proper nature. I take it that they or some Servitors routinely polish/paint their armor so everything is brighter.  The Chaos stuff is the opposite...as long as things work, they don't care and espically with nurgle, rust is no big deal.  As I said the Defiler is getting a wash with Devlin Mud, same as the other Nurgle stuff.  I'll post pics of it again after I do that.
Everyone else is doing it so...Behold the great General's gaming blog!
Armies: ULTRAmarines!, Necron, Vampire Counts, Pure Nurgle CSM.
Work-in-progress armies:Tau, Orks, Empire.