News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Some Advice Please!!!  (Read 1818 times)

Offline Kal

Some Advice Please!!!
« on: July 26, 2002, 06:03:57 AM »
I've played with Space marines for the last three years and I'm now collecting an Ork army. I've already got 2 20 strong mobs of slugga boyz, 15 strong StormBoyz mob, Warboss with five Nobs, and a few Tankbusta's (the shop didnt have enough in stock!!). I also borrow a firends truck from his old army and also a basalisk from his IG (the paint job is bad enough that it passes for a looted vehicle).

The thing is, I'm not sure were to go next with the army. Should I get hold of a couple of trucks for myself, or a basalisk or just get some more mobs on the go?? Both Slugga boyz mobs and the Stormboyz have Nobs leading them, but the Slugga boyz have a complete mix of heavy weapons as thats all I have the models for.

Any help would be great. Thanks

Kal

Offline Warlord Fragskull

• A'nuva wound, a'nuva battle
Re:Some Advice Please!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2002, 09:43:59 AM »
Since you are playing SMs the most, I would suggest you get a buerna boyz mob. These boyz will work wonders against marines in CC, even if their only str 3. I've had a burna boyz mob nearly wipe out a SM tactical squad in one round of combat, part luck and part the power of burnas.
I would also suggest expanding your Fast Attacks. Get a squadron of wartraks and buggies. When armed with kustom mega-blastas they will blast any marine squad apart. Make sure to add armor plate, grot riggers, and red paint.
Other than that I can only suggest a dread or Killa Kans next. They will do some good while slow. Since most of your army is on foot, you could march them up the field with the dreads and Killa Kans in front taking all the major fire and saving your boyz for hand-to-hand.
Everybody has a little green in them.

"Wez nev'a gonna stopz. Wez jus' keeps onz goin'z."
-Warlord Fragskull to Grishsnik right before wiping out an entire Imperial armored company during the Seige of Helsreach (Third War of Armageddon).

Offline Scythe

• Flamer: Superiority Complex BANNED
  • Banned for flaming
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2002, 08:18:43 PM »
The three most important things in a Ork Army is;

The Warboss and his Retinue, all in Mega Armour, loaded in the back of a truck (This works wonders against SM, Necrons etc. I wiped out three SM squads in one battle with these guys for the loss of no one)
Dreads & Killa Kans (My heavy support includeds 2 Dreads & a Battlewagon)
The boys, the more the merry (My army consists of 20 Shoota Boyz, 11 Burnaz, 10 Tankbustas, 15 Ard' Boyz, 10 Flash Gitz (All Have Nobs etc))
Stormboyz aren't the greatest Elite, I much prefer Ard' Boyz, 12pts, 4+ Sv, 3 Assualt Weapons, they tend to surivive being blasted at by SM bolters.

When comes to fast attack see what your army is lacking and fill the gap in. In my case I can kill the enemy in a fuisilade of gun fire, but I lack a little in assualt based Boyz, so Trukk Boyz would be a good choice.
In your  case Fire Power in the form of Wartrakks and Buggies or Warbikes.

If I were you I would turn one of your Slugga mobz into a Shootas mob. When comes too their weapons make sure there all the same.
Also you can easily convert normal boyz to Tankbustas, all you need is man hole sizes discs and some skill (This is how I made most of them)
On the assualt weapon front convert, convert, convert, they look a hell of lot better when everything is different.

Oh yeah have you chosen a Clan to base your army around or are you going Freebooter. (In my case I'm Bad Moon, that explains my use of All mega Armoured Retinue and the Flash Gitz) You sound like a bit of a Goff if you go in that direct be carefull when sellecting your army, and use Ghazgkulls (not sure about spelling) profile and rules as a base for your army.

Offline Kal

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2002, 10:46:55 AM »
Yeah Goffs it is, my paint scheme is bascially highlight the skin up, drybrush all the weapons and then paint the legs a mix of rotting flesh and Choas black (comes out a greyy-blue colour). The skin does take ages (5 layers!!!).

Kal