News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Help me build a new Aquarium!  (Read 1001 times)

Offline Calamity

• Concussor Concussed Dice | Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Cocking up miniatures since 1998
  • Armies: Kharadron Overlords, Bloodbound, Celestial Lions
Help me build a new Aquarium!
« on: March 26, 2015, 07:42:54 PM »
I'm working away on decorating my room, and I need to start planning for the last and most important feature; the aquarium.

I had one before in my old place.  Here was the thread discussing it.  That one went quite well for about a year...then one fish caught TB, and before I knew it they all had it.  And that was the end of that.  :(

However, I'm willing to try it again.  And this room I have now is much bigger than my old one, so I can have a bigger tank.  But, there are a number of issues I need to resolve.  First of, here's a really crude layout of the room:

See that big rectangle over the bottom left hand corner?  That's where the ceiling slopes down with the roof of the building, which limits everything in there to short stuff only.  Also, the two windows and the radiator further eliminate good spaces to put it on, as it's not a good idea to put a tank near either of these.  This is a pain as I think that the radiator is actually right in the ideal location for it.

Where would you guys put it?

Offline Spectral Arbor

• Major
  • Thanks for the help.
Re: Help me build a new Aquarium!
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2015, 08:38:50 PM »
You know what's more fun than fish? A pet you can take for a walk. ;)

But, I assume you already know that and want to have fish anyway, so assuming you don't want to boil your fish in front of the radiator, and you don't want them to freeze under the window during the winter [Assuming that your apartment doesn't have well insulated windows...]  the "Northern" wall is out.

Is the box to the right of the door going to be an entertainment area? Not sure of the scale, but I would want to keep a tank full of water away from expensive electronics.

Left of the door might work, but next to a door tends to catch coats and boots and such, so that's a no go.

So Western wall seems like the best option. Near the window or mid-wall, you don't want to be banging your head everytime you feed your fish.

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2015, 08:58:57 PM »
I was planning to put a wardrobe into that box but that's not concrete.  I think against the western wall is best though.  I can get a view of it from anywhere there, and there's no point in having it if you can't see it.

Offline Eadartri

• Jesus Christ is the Resurrection and the Life
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2015, 11:43:32 PM »
I suggest the long wall on the left, centered at the point that is half of the ceiling length. This way it is both away from the window and not near the angled ceiling (cleaning you know).

Just don't forget to purchase a fish license (or several).
Under Construction:

SFCampaign.wordpres s.com

Eldar Unite! War Calls! Descend upon Medusa V!

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2015, 09:21:46 PM »
I suggest the long wall on the left, centered at the point that is half of the ceiling length. This way it is both away from the window and not near the angled ceiling (cleaning you know).

I think that's the best location.  I'm not sure what size of tank to get though.  It might have to be a little one (under 20 gallons).

Just don't forget to purchase a fish license (or several).

We don't require them for the fish I'm planning to get in this country.  ;D

I may go for a south american themed tank...a few platys, mollies or guppies with a few corydoras.  How much depends on the size of tank though.

Offline Eadartri

• Jesus Christ is the Resurrection and the Life
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2015, 10:02:48 PM »
I'm pretty sure I've seen video evidence of a an attempted fish license purchase...South America? Sounds cool.
Under Construction:

SFCampaign.wordpres s.com

Eldar Unite! War Calls! Descend upon Medusa V!