News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: AGENTS OF THE IMPERIUM - UPDATED 05/29/2015 (Was Inquisition Kill Team)  (Read 12511 times)

Offline Grizzlykin

• Run little eldar, run! ... And KILL THEM ALL !
  • Armies: Eldars, Tau, Necrons
Re: Inquisition Kill Team
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2015, 12:23:53 PM »
I will have to say this looks pretty good, if that dark color sheme transfer nicely on the minis it will be awesome ! This does really gives a feeling of inquisition. The tyranid head is super nice ! Superbe work!
The Grizzly's Arvandor Craftworld!

Quote from: Cavalier
ALL HAIL THE TORNADO! The legend is REBORN.

Quote from: Alienscar
The forum member so nice that even when he is MIA he still gets two votes for being the nicest member

Offline khaine

• This happens when I am bored.
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Truly Dread
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2015, 12:28:26 PM »
Great stuff, it's the little details that really make the model.  :)

As a side note (It's a bit on the late side) elastic bands can be used to make straps for items, the natural flexability makes them a lot easier to work with than plastic strip. Not to say you haven't done a good job with the plastic.  :)

There's no stopping what can't be stopped, no killing what can't be killed

You can't see the eyes of the demon until him come calling.

This is dread man, truly dread.

"Childhood is when you idolize Batman. Adulthood is when you realize that the Joker makes more sense."

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2015, 03:23:41 PM »
Bloody hell 327 that looks bloody brilliant. I don't know if it is the result of your colour choice but the final result looks realistic. Without being rude, I hope, what happened to your front panel? The majority of the body panels look super smooth, almost like they have been sprayed, but the front panel seems to have a lot of brush strokes visible.
I really like your idea of the interchangeable top hatches and weapons. Did you get these from your bits box or are they already part of the kit?
Quote from: Starrakatt
"Russ, get your work done or you won't see your damn console for the next month!"
Honestly Alienscar, we get it... you dont like painting!

Offline Ambience 327

« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2015, 04:17:40 PM »
Thanks. I really do think the colors came together well on this thing. Hopefully the same will work for the rest of the crew.

I am pretty sure the brush stroke thing is mostly a result of the extreme closeup and the lighting. They are there everywhere on the model, as I painted it completely by hand, but they aren't nearly that noticeable when looking at it held in hand or in further out images. At tabletop distance you can't really see them at all.

All bits are included in the Razorback kit to make a Rhino (including both the Storm Bolter and non-Storm Bolter hatch, as well as the double doors for the top hatch), so it is really easy to do this sort of setup. Not sure why we don't see it more often. All I really did was glue the double-doors together with a thin bead of plastic cement, holding it tight on a level surface to keep it straight and flush.

What I need now is another turret base & cowl so I can make it possible to do dual lascannons as well. :)

The first 5 members of the Kill Team are now done. Sorry about the major washout on the photos - I had really crappy lighting options tonight. I really hope the sun comes out soon so I can get some really good pics. Anyway, on to the pics!

Here's the Chrono-Gladiator and the Death Cultist. Her hair turned out a really nice natural red, but the washed out photos make her look like a pale blonde. Also, you can't really see the definition in her skull mask, but it looks great in person.

The Crusaders fared a bit better in their photo shoot, but their shields are a bit shinier than I would like due to needing to use the flash. I think the dark colors help diminish the "bobble-head" look that a lot of folks have been complaining about. What do you guys think?

Lastly we have the former hive ganger. He's going to be the most independently colored - having some denim jeans and less of the red, gold and silver featured on the rest of the crew.

Anyway, I will take some better pictures of these guys when I get better lighting, but I wanted to get them posted as this helps keep me motivated, and I really want to finish tomorrow!

Offline vonny

• I *LOVE* 40k OFFline!
  • Armies: Tyranids, Lamenters (BA), Eldar (Iyanden), 1k Sons
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2015, 09:26:18 AM »
Oh yes. Both your transport and your finished models look great. I don't see the bobblehead at all anymore with the crusaders, so that's solved, I think.

The color choice is nice, simple, and therefore super effective. Keep it up!

(also, I would've done the same with my rhinos/razorbacks, were it not that I have no loyalist rhino/razorback. And chaos doesn't do razorbacks... I do have a rhino/immolater though!)
check out my Iyanden painting blog.

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2015, 11:02:25 AM »
Both your Death Cultist and Gladiator look truly threatening. In particular the Cultist just screams "assassin" so much better than the ballet like stance that GW used for their assassin.

The Crusaders will always look a bit bobble headed as I personally believe that the scale of the visor is totally inappropriate. Other than that once again your colour scheme has given them a gritty realistic feel.
"Russ, get your work done or you won't see your damn console for the next month!"

Offline Ambience 327

« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2015, 04:05:28 PM »
So the crew finally came together (just in time - painting even Saturday morning sadly!), and I still don't have great photos of anything but the Razorback as the lighting has been crap and time crunched. I included some crumby shots of the Stormtroopers so they could at least be seen, but I plan on posting better pics of everything when I can.

First off, here is the whole Kill Team on a rather hastily made display base (I spent about an hour all told on it - definitely not up to my usual terrain making standards, but it worked.)

Inquisitorial Stormtroopers w/ Boltguns

Inquisitorial Stormtroopers w/ Plasma Gun & Hotshot Lasgun

Razorback "Son of Thunder"

Front

Left Side

Right Side

Rear

Rear - Hatch Open

Interior Detail - Left Wall

Interior Detail - Right Wall

Interior Detail - Front Wall

Rhino Conversion

Razorback/Rhino Conversion Bits

Offline Mr.Peanut (Turtleproof)

• Ride Like Lightning, Crash Like Thunder | Infinity Circuit | Pork Sword of Mod-Justice | Took the basket, nuts and lol | Good grief, ye hennie pennies
  • Ancient
  • Turtleposting At The Speed Of SHift
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Eldar, Sigmarines, Chaos, Demons
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2015, 02:08:47 PM »
I thought the Chrono-Gladiator's head and the other Crusader's sword was way too big but they look fine painted up, the whole set looks terrific!  Nice display board, too.

Kill Team or Combat Patrol/Patrol Clash/40k In 40 Minutes is the best way to get around Citadel's extreme prices (the Adeptus Mechanicus walkers, holy crap they're about $70 a piece).
You are
What you do
When it counts
     -The Masao
"Getting what you want can be dangerous.

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2015, 02:34:36 PM »
I hope you post better pictures soon as I'd really like to see the finished project in all its glory. Am I right in thinking that you have lit the white card from behind? If you have I would guess this will cause your camera to underexpose hence the dark pictures.

How did you get on in the Kill Team event?

Offline Ambience 327

« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2015, 03:09:25 PM »
The card is just lit from the front, I'm just discovering that my cell phone doesn't do so great with white balance when it has near pure white and near pure black to deal with. I am going to see if I can find a different neutral color to place them on for better photos.

I fared OK in the tournament. Tied one game and lost the other three, but they were all REALLY close - like the last turn or two going different (or the random game roll going different) would have made it a win kind of close. All games were exciting and fun, and I was pleasantly surprised at how well the various models performed - especially the Crusaders. They were quite exceptional tanks, soaking up fire and blows like champs and even taking a few models down with their mediocre S3 A1 profiles, much to my opponents' chagrin.

The Razorback also did pretty good for itself, and nearly one me one of the games (if either the game would have ended on Turn 6 or if on Turn 7 it could have finished off the Rhino that had come to contest the objective it was on, it was only 1 HP away...) I was very glad to have put the Psybolt ammo on it, as it came in handy a number of times (especially against some T5 Necrons that it put down several of) and was certainly at least a minor threat to any other vehicle on the table.

Offline vonny

• I *LOVE* 40k OFFline!
« Reply #30 on: April 2, 2015, 07:54:04 AM »
Sounds like your list worked great.
Games that close are often very entertaining. I hope you had fun despite the losses!

Try and take some cardboard boxes (often light brown) or the inside of box such as grocery store pizza or cereal - that often has a grey inside. Might help with your pictures!

Offline Ambience 327

« Reply #31 on: April 2, 2015, 12:10:34 PM »
Yeah, the Kill Team did really well. I LOVE close games. I'd rather lose a close game than win a blowout any day.

I am planning to experiment with various backgrounds this weekend. I've not shot such dark minis in quite a while, and never on this phone, so my issues were quite unexpected. (I've gotten pretty good pics out of this camera before - just look at my GS Cult log for photos I've taken with it.)

Offline Calamity

• Concussor Concussed Dice | Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Cocking up miniatures since 1998
  • Armies: Kharadron Overlords, Bloodbound, Celestial Lions
« Reply #32 on: April 2, 2015, 02:51:37 PM »
Yeah, the Kill Team did really well. I LOVE close games. I'd rather lose a close game than win a blowout any day.

You and me both.  I'm in this game to have fun.  8)

Offline Grizzlykin

• Run little eldar, run! ... And KILL THEM ALL !
  • Armies: Eldars, Tau, Necrons
« Reply #33 on: April 2, 2015, 03:36:52 PM »
I will have to agree aswell, i'm in this for the tension and the hardship... yet so far i only got stomped >< still pretty fun game :D i think the fun you take out of a game really comes a lot from your opponents mine were always fun to play against ^^
The Grizzly's Arvandor Craftworld!

ALL HAIL THE TORNADO! The legend is REBORN.

Quote from: Alienscar
The forum member so nice that even when he is MIA he still gets two votes for being the nicest member

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #34 on: April 2, 2015, 04:08:41 PM »
The card is just lit from the front, I'm just discovering that my cell phone doesn't do so great with white balance when it has near pure white and near pure black to deal with.

Oh right, in a lot of the pictures I noticed a large pool of light on the card so that is why I thought they had been lit from behind. From the interior shots you can tell that it is probably the reflected light from the white card that is causing your camera to underexpose so good call on using darker backgrounds. If you can you might like to try less directional lighting.

Was the Kill Team event a one off thing or is something you will be doing again?

Offline Ambience 327

« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2015, 01:17:25 PM »
So I've been dragging my feet on getting better pictures of the finished models. I will - I promise! :)

But in the meantime, I've decided to start building this starting force up into an "Agents of the Imperium" army, basically loading it with anything I find cool that belongs to the various lesser organizations of the Imperium (i.e. not Space Marines or the Imperial Guard), as this will allow me to continue making fun hobby projects and still use them in games. It will also allow me to get a bit of a start on finally putting together my Adeptus Arbites force that I've been planning and collecting kits for over the past few years, as it will give me a good way to play some of the units as I build. To that end, I plan to begin building more units from Codex: Inquisition and other sources (including possibly Space Marines or Imperial Guard units to "Count As" other forces like the Arbites or Penal Legions, etc).

First up on this new start is an Eversor Assassin, but not just any old stock model - that wouldn't be nearly as fun. Nope, I decided I wanted my Eversor converted from plastic. Oh, and female. (Why should guys be the only ones turned into unstoppable, drugged-up killing machines?) :)

Here is a parts list:

Harlequin head & skull mask
Dark Eldar Wych legs, torso & arms (including the needly pistol portion of the "Executioner Pistol")
Chaos Cultist leader claw (left hand "Neuro-Gauntlet")
Space Marine Scout Bolt Pistol (the top of the "Executioner Pistol")
2nd Edition plastic Space Marine Bolt Pistol (the magazine for the "Executioner Pistol")
Tempestus Scions comm-link backpack (cut down a bit at the top
Catachan sheathed sword

I still plan to do a bit more work on her. At the least I am going to do some greenstuff and/or plasticard work to better integrate the bolt pistol and needle pistol into a single weapon. I am thinking of also adding some plastic rod or bits under the big lamp on her backpack to better match the "sentinel array" on the original Eversor model (i.e. the bit that looks like it can raise and lower, and pivot).

I may also try to "tech up" the neuro-gauntlet a bit as well, and possibly find some Melta Bombs to give her so as to be more WYSIWYG.

A question though - should I leave the various spikes and blades intact, or trim them down a bit to make her more sleek and less Dark Eldar-y?

Offline Calamity

• Concussor Concussed Dice | Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Cocking up miniatures since 1998
  • Armies: Kharadron Overlords, Bloodbound, Celestial Lions
Re: Inquisition Kill Team - Expanding to a small army - updated 4/10/2015
« Reply #36 on: April 10, 2015, 01:38:58 PM »
That is...an awesome conversion!  Excellent use of a wide variety of parts! 8) 

I would say that the spikes would need trimmed down though, as they are a bit DE, or worse, Chaos.  Studs however are perfectly acceptable imo.

Offline vonny

• I *LOVE* 40k OFFline!
« Reply #37 on: April 10, 2015, 01:57:33 PM »
I think most of the spikes look fine. Eversors were never known for subtlety. It's probably for that reason that I do dislike one spike: the one pinning the cloth at the groin area.

Not sure how to remove or alter that though

Offline Ambience 327

« Reply #38 on: April 10, 2015, 02:34:00 PM »
Yeah, I have been considering whether I want to go to the trouble of removing that spike and rescuplting the sash around where I take it out.

Offline Ambience 327

« Reply #39 on: April 21, 2015, 09:53:31 AM »
Back with another update. With no current deadline, I'm really just having fun putting together things that strike my fancy at the moment.

Here is my male Callidus Assassin. Yes, I know that "members of the Callidus temple are almost exclusively female", but that key word "almost" is there, which leaves it open for there to be a few males. :) I think I am going to try and do an alternate-gender version of each Assassin. I've already got a very basic start on a head for a Culexus, and she will probably get another Wych body, but I am thinking a Kabalite body might be a better fit for a female Vindicare. Not quite certain yet though.

For the curious, he is made with a Dark Eldar Wych legs and body, Harlequin head and arms (the phase sword arm is a Harlequin's Embrace cut down, with part of a Grey Knights Nemesis Force Sword attached to the end). I plan to so a bit of work to the gun to make it look a bit more like the one carried by the official Callidus model, and I am considering options for giving him poisoned blades along his hip. Any suggestions here are welcome.

The next two shots are of a Sanctioned Psyker and a Plasma Cannon Gun Servitor.

The Psyker uses Cadian Command Squad legs, torso and head, a laspistol arm from a Chimera sprue, and the left arm is from the Empire Militia sprue, with styrene rod and a Grey Knigths icon topped with a Space Marine Icon. He also has some Grey Knights scroll cases hanging from his belt.

The Servitor uses Catachan legs, a Rhino driver Techmarine torso, Space Marine bionic left arm with an antenna from a Landspeeder attached where the hand should be, and a Plasma Cannon from a Sentinel. I forget exactly which Space Marine kit the head is from.

Finally we have a couple of Militarum Tempestus Scions. I am planning to use the legs from the Scions kit to make Adeptus Arbites models (and I already used two pairs to make the Crusaders for this Inquisition force), so I figured finding a way to use some of the other bits - especially the tosos - from those kits was a good idea. I don't really want tons of Crusaders, so I thought a squad or two of Scions would be a nice use. (Wait, I'm using a kit to biuld what it is supposed to? What is the world coming to?!) Anyway, the legs are from the High Elf Archer kit from WHFB. I thought they gave a slightly different feel to the Scions, though I had to chop down the pointy toes a bit to make them look less Elvish. I need another box of Scions before I can make the rest of the squad, so it may be a little while.