News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders!  (Read 63422 times)

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Re: Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders!
« Reply #40 on: January 7, 2017, 05:10:51 PM »
Thanks a lot man :) if there's one thing that I love more than anything it's the amount of dynamism GW has managed to put into their models. Gone are the 'standing face on, knife in one hand gun in the other' Marines. Makes my job very easy!

Speaking of dynamic kits...

Behold! Khaharkyth and his technicolour skin-cloak!

Must try and get a pic of him against the black background to try and do the armour justice. Warplock Bronze is such an utterly stunning colour, but these pics don't quite do it justice...

I am pleased with how Wilson turned out though ;)

Also came up with a little fluff for my Kabal :)

The Kabal of the Whipcrown are a relatively young kabal, formed by the former Wych gladiator Khaharkyth. Although their strength is growing rapidly, they are still small fry in relation to the more established kabals of Commorragh. In order to expand their powerbase, and defend themselves from their more predatory rivals they have entered into a pact with the seers of craftworld Angvellaith. In exchange for safe harbour in realspace, support in military endeavours and the foresight of the craftworld's seers, they have provided access to the cloning and resurrection technologies of the Haemonculi. Although each party is wary and distrustful of the other, they have both profited enormously from the deal.
Check out my Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders :)

Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders!

Offline Ibushi

• Coming to a croneworld near you
  • Armies: PEW PEW spinny death
« Reply #41 on: January 8, 2017, 01:05:39 PM »
Man Ynnead this thread is absolutely sick, love the use of the new sylvaneth kits combined with 40k pointy ears for creepy, dynamic Exodites!

On the photo side, the ones against a black background are crisper, but I really like the ones on the wooden table, it seems to fit really well and enhances the palette you're using IMO. But I am by no means a photography person, just look at my thread and you'll know, gah. One of those things...

Really really liking your updated Autarch model and the most recent Cronos engine, really cool stuff. Also Khaine's Ravens are my other favourites, really brought things together there. Good job on the fluff side too, am enjoying reading your process behind these dynamic models. Next up, any plans for a list or games in the future? Curious to see how all these models will come together on the tabletop.

Cheers
Check out my PLOG! Croneworld Koxinga Rises

Wet Coast GT 2015 Best Overall
TSHFT 08-15 3rd Place, Best Eldar
Guardian Cup 8.5 Best General
Attack-X Best Overall
WGWB 2015 Best Overall
Tanksgiving 2015 Best Overall

Samurai Eldar, Coming to a Croneworld Near You.

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #42 on: January 8, 2017, 02:57:52 PM »
Thanks dude! Yeah I'm really pleased with how the latest Autarch guys has turned out :) so much so that I think I'll have to re-do my other Autarch HQ chap...

I agree with you on the photos front, the wooden floor seems to blend much better with the colour scheme, making a much better bokeh (lookit, I googled a photography word!). Even if the colours aren't as sharp. I'll try setting up another lamp with a similar bulb in it, perhaps more of the same light would make it crisper but still keep the same warm tones...

Glad you like the Khaine's Ravens :) I've got loads more of them coming, but I have a bit of an odd way of painting things. I tend to get bored doing the same bits in the same colour on 10+ models in a row, so I end up painting all the black sections on the Corsairs...then switching over to the bronze sections on the Kabalites...then all the reds on my Exodites, until I get close enough to finish one of them in one sitting. Means I end up spending a week or so with nothing painted at all, then everything gets finished at once!

Reading all your, Cav's and Looshkin's batreps I definitely need to get doing some myself! I don't really have any mates that are into the game at all, or know of any clubs nearby. I'm sure there are quite a few being in the south East of the UK, I've just got to take the plunge and go to one ;)

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #43 on: January 10, 2017, 11:01:37 AM »
Well, I've decided that I want to write a small fluff piece for each of my HQs :) I've got ones above for Thaegr the Huntfather, and Khaharkyth the Carrion Lord.

Just thought of one for Syaeldren the Wyrdlord :)

The brutish Mon-Keigh gene-warrior bellowed a challenge over the din of the battle. The servos of its primitive armour whirred into action as it strode towards the slender eldar witch, activating its crackling power sword. Syaeldren stood motionless, spear in hand, eyes fixed on the astartes. With a single psychic whisper she planted a seed in its mind. A seed that spoke 'wither'.

She watched as it put down its roots in his medulla oblongata, and its tendrils reached up towards his primary motor cortex, trailing inert matter behind it. Strong though the indoctrination of this brute was, she could see it begin to fail. Its sword-arm, held aloft, began to sag. Its mighty stride grew shorter with each footfall. A few feet from Syaeldren the iron warrior stumbled, its legs giving way beneath it. The wraithbone-skinned crone circled the fallen warrior as the psychic root-ball strangled the last few impulses that governed its heartbeat.

This mind war was won, but the battle around raged on. Hefting her spear, she stalked off to seek her next quarry.

Post Merge: January 10, 2017, 07:34:33 PM
In the future, please use the modify button. Double posting is against the forum rules, and for that reason, the system merged your posts.

First squad of Kabalites done!

Tried my hand at a bit more blood spatter using Blood for the Blood God (really realistic blood effect that!). Went for a light effect as I reckon it's something that you could quite easily go overboard with :S

They should go quite nicely with my bone coloured Craftworlders and Exodites, being a similar colour palette but darkened considerably with more metallic thrown in there :)

Little is known of Khaharkyth's early history, only that he started life as a vat-born slave destined for the arenas. He rose out of obscurity leading a coup within the Wych Cult of the Sicklekin, butchering his captors and leaving a trail of blood all the way out of the arenas. Attracting waifs and strays from all over Commorragh, and leveraging his ties with the new rulers of his former Wych Cult, he founded the Kabal of the Whipcrown.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 07:34:33 PM by Ynneadwraith »

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #44 on: January 11, 2017, 06:57:11 AM »
Now thats what I'm talking about! LOVE those Kabalites (the Archon is sweet too)!!! That armor is sick. Love the tan flag with the blood glyph too.... aw man. Perfect colors here and the paint job is sweet too. Great work here bud. Love it!
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #45 on: January 11, 2017, 09:53:55 AM »
Thanks man! I am rather pleased with it :) I've just learnt that if you've got a dark enough base metallic, and a weak enough highlight metallic (Runelord Brass over Warplock Bronze) you can be pretty haphazard with your highlighting and it still comes out with a nice added bit of spark to an otherwise flat(ish) colour :) anything that reduces the amount of precision I have to exercise to get a decent finish plays right into my strengths ;)

Oh, and I can thank you for the colour scheme idea :) I remember you pointing out that my previous schemes seem to follow the trend of majority low-contrast colours with a few high-contrast complementary highlights. With that in mind, I thought up the dark brown/bronze with any cloth bits done as different coloured skin to match the Archon :) that knowledge makes it a lot easier for me to come up with colour schemes that I like! Thanks :)

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #46 on: January 11, 2017, 12:39:28 PM »
No wonder I liked it so much. I'm a genius!  ;D ;D ;D lol just kidding. I never would have thought to do it that way. But in all honesty I do love that low contrast look, you took it a completley different direction than I would have imagined, but its brilliant! I really love it. Glad I was of some help man, but this is really original stuff. The low contrast with the really dark ruddy colors is really unique and something I would not have thought of especially given the look of the rest of your army. Great stuff man, truly original stuff :) :) :)

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #47 on: January 11, 2017, 01:33:33 PM »
Thanks again dude :)

Yeah I wanted each of my Eldar factions to look unified as an army on the tabletop, but definitely distinct from one-another, and these guys I think are the first that I've actually managed to achieve that.

My Craftworlders and Exodites are a little similar if I'm honest, differentiated only by the more mismatched colours of the cloth/undersuits. I've really grown attached to the colour scheme of my Corsairs, but I can't help but feel that the black isn't really part of the colour palette of the army as a whole. Still, I've done all the black bits on 39 of them so far so it's not changing! Plus, I do rather like it and the red/gold still fits nicely :)

The Dark Eldar however follow exactly the same colours as the rest (browns of varying shades with a dash of red) but manage to look completely different :)

Next up I suppose is the Harlequins that tie all of these disparate factions together! I've got a lightly kitbashed Shadowseer coming together soon so I'll need some more inspiration for the colours on that! ;)

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #48 on: January 11, 2017, 04:34:45 PM »
One of the big questions about Exodites is how would they protect themselves from Slaanesh? The Dark Eldar hide in the webway and have their soul-vampirism thing, but that's uniquely Dark Eldar. The Craftworlders have their Spirit Stones, but given that those are harvested from the Eye of Terror I doubt Exodites would have the military might to gather them themselves. They also have the Path system to keep them on the straight and narrow, but again that's uniquely Craftworld.

No issues, with building your own flavour to your armies, its part of what makes this hobby so great, but if you are interested, the 2nd edition codex is one of the best places to find fluff on exodites and touches very quickly on world stones, which is the way they avoid she who thirsts, the Lexicanum has a good summary.
Exodite - Lexicanum

There is a little bit of info on them in the 4th edition codex as well.

I see you have started to use the Sylvaneth range to build your Exodites, I saw someone use the Wild Riders helms to good effect and another build the revenants as an exodite version of grotesques. I'm still planning out my exodites so I may be have to pinch some of your idea's ;)

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #49 on: January 11, 2017, 07:53:22 PM »
The more exodites the merrier! I'd love to see what sort of flavour you come up with :) I've gone down the Wild Rider helms myself for my Cult of Kurnous. The necks from scourges work quite nicely for mating them with eldar torsos in general. Also, if you clip off the face of the bare Scourge head that works quite nicely with the Wild Rider masks too :)

As for tonight's work...

Used up my last stash of Harlequin legs to finally add some Harlies to the army :)

While I love the Death Jester and Shadowseer sculpts, they're both in finecast most of the time which has no place in my army at all. So, I thought I'd try and make some from plastic :)

I've also always hated how the legs for the Troupe Master are posed. It doesn't look like a natural part of a stride or leap to me, even with anti-grav belts. So, did a bit of chopping around and re-posing and came up withe this which is a little better :)

And finally the Troupe :) not much conversion work here, aside from a re-angling of one of the arms to make 'Mr Come At Me Bro' in the middle, and a head from the Skyweavers kit which worked beautifully on the dudette on the right :)

And the obligatory fluff piece :)

Masque of the Tone Serpent
The enigmatic harlequins of the Masque of the Tone Serpent travel the twisted webway skeins between the craftworlds, the exodites and the dark city. It was they who guided craftworld Angvellaith towards the exodite world of Selesti, first employed the listening posts of the Khaine's Ravens, and brokered the first meeting between Khaharkyth of the Whipcrown and the seer council of the Angvai. The ultimate purpose for this tripartite Eldar union is unknown to anyone but the servants of the Trickster God.

Oh and almost forgot, I threw together a little test kitbash for some Storm Guardians. Unfortunately I've only got the one Guardian torso left so he's on his own at the moment, but I'll pick up some more as soon as I've got moula again ;) probably just in time for them to release a new Guardian double-box with Defenders and Stormies...

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #50 on: January 12, 2017, 06:36:10 AM »
Absolutley sick modeling Ynnead. Love all of it 100% The Shadowseer and Death Jester are incredible! I had to do a triple take on both of them... love the conversion of the heat lance/dark lance to shuriken cannon. Brilliant!

Also the Storm Guardian looks SOOOOO good with those harlie weapons! I wish they matched the look of my Scorpions a bit more because I would have used those bits... but I wanted armored arms and hands with their aspect armor and whatnot.

Anyway fantastic stuff man. Really top-notch. Boy are you rolling!

Offline Aurics Pride

• Aspect Warrior
  • I tread the hidden path.....
  • Armies: Eldar, Raven Guard, Slaanesh
« Reply #51 on: January 12, 2017, 06:42:06 AM »
Loving the Kitbashing!

The Harlequins look great, beautifully posed and that Death Jester looks awesome.

Love the Storm Guardian as well, I've got a massive pile of Harlie spares. Might steal that Idea at some point for my Corsairs!
+++ VICTORUS AUT MORTIS +++

My Army Blog (Corsair & Raven Guard: Here

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #52 on: January 12, 2017, 09:24:39 AM »
Thanks man :) glad you like them

I'm pleased with how the DJ came out too. The Shuriken Cannon made from a Heat Lance and Avenger Shuricat was a bit of a trial run for a squad of Corsair Balestrikes. Once I've got the majority of my Corsairs painted up I'll see if I can make some more :)

Steal away with the Stormie! That's exactly what happened to me too. I've got a ton of Wych legs (just) because they're brilliant) and a load of Harlie swords left over so it's a bit of a no-brainer :)

Question is...what special weapons to give them? Flamer or Fusion...

I'm leaning towards Flamer given that I've got a ton of A/T with Blasters, Heat Lances, and Fusion Guns elsewhere...

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
« Reply #53 on: January 14, 2017, 02:12:17 AM »
Those Harlequins look great, especially the Death Jester, which I think might be one of the best models on this thread - a difficult task with so much nice work on here.

That Storm Guardian also looks sick. You make all of your minis look full of life with your dynamic posing, and you've managed it again here. Well done.
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #54 on: January 15, 2017, 05:10:20 PM »
Thanks dude :) I'm glad you like the Death Jester. He's one of my favourites too!

Big fan of my little Stormie too :) I'm really liking the dynamism that the latest GW eldar kits have. Can't wait for them to re-release Guardians (I'm thinking they might soon as a double kit).

That or plastic Aspect Warriors which I would gladly sell bodily organs for ;)

Oh, any ideas for painting a simple scale pattern? I'm thinking that given my Masque is serpent-related, and I wanted to keep the red to a minimum, I'd do one of the legs/boots like scales.

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #55 on: January 18, 2017, 05:17:55 AM »
"We don't recognise your authority here, Harlequin", the exodite barked, his hand poised over the grip of his splinter pistol, "only a fool trusts a servant of the trickster god". A faint hum kicked in as he flexed the fingers of his blood-red gauntlet.

"I come to speak with Lord Laerimyr of the Selestini, Lightbringer, Son of Asuryan." the alabaster figure entreatied, "War comes to the eldar, the seers of the Angvai have forseen it. The warriors of Selesti must join with our forces lest our kin be slain".

A voice boomed through the tangled vines of the throne-room, psychically amplified within the heads of both visitor and guards. "You dare to demand oaths from us, joker? We remember a time when the laughing one was oathbound to fight. Arrayed by the side of the bloody-handed one, he marched to war. When his time came, he forsook his kin and fled. Where was your god when ours fought and died? Coward God we call him."

"Hear me, Godborn Lord. The cycles of myth are not fixed to repeat, they are broken. Where does it speak of The Great Enemy, child of the Eldar? Where in the cycles does it speak of the ape-kin lording over our domain? This galaxy has staggered off its rightful path. Join with us and help us right this."

The horned lord paused, mulling over the emissary's words. "Your point is well made, Harlequin. Kurnous, our father, fought and died for his kin. When the horns of war are sounded, the hunters of Selesti will stalk by your side".

First time painting white. Can you tell? ;)

Can't tell if it looks good or god-awful...

Just thought now that a bit of Blood for the Blood God would look good to give the Caress a bit more of depth to the colour. Also, I do plan on doing some scale-patterns on the right leg when I've figured out how to do them convincingly!

Apart from those little bits, what do you think?

Regardless, finally have a representative of the whole eldar quintet :)

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #56 on: January 18, 2017, 01:56:13 PM »
Looking sick man! No, no, I think the white came out excellent! I really, really like it. The whole palette of the model is fantastic and the paint job is really well executed.

Love the rogues gallery at the bottom too man. Such a fantastic collection of models. This is like the Blanchitsu of Eldar. I love it!

Offline Aurics Pride

• Aspect Warrior
  • I tread the hidden path.....
  • Armies: Eldar, Raven Guard, Slaanesh
« Reply #57 on: January 18, 2017, 02:02:29 PM »
Man I love that group shot!
Some great conversions and paint jobs but despite them being quite different model wise they really work well together and look the part. Good job!  8)
+++ VICTORUS AUT MORTIS +++

My Army Blog (Corsair & Raven Guard: Here

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #58 on: January 18, 2017, 07:31:24 PM »
Blanchitsu of Eldar? Now there's a compliment I'll treasure! Thanks dude :)

Thanks too A P :) the idea was to try and make a pan-eldar army that looked at least a little unified on the table-top. Glad to hear that it's worked!

Tried out a couple of little tweaks. Tried a rune in red on the knee-pad but didn't like it. Most of the time I like breaking up the blocks of colour slightly, but it didn't seem to work on this one and made it look a little discordant. Shame because I rather liked it in isolation!

Putting a little colour on select bits of the pistol really helped make it look finished rather than just undercoated which I like better :)

Also tried my hand at some fiddly little scales which I think have done the job of breaking up the block of white while keeping the whole desaturated look intact :) definitely a learnign curve to them though...

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #59 on: January 19, 2017, 06:58:33 AM »
These guys are looking wicked nice. Love the all white really ghostly... Really a fan of the more stark simplistic look on paint jobs the longer I've been in the hobby. Really nice stuff as always Ynnead. Love it!