News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: This is NOT a solution to school shootings...  (Read 11869 times)

Offline DUDEMAESTRO

• JESUS SAVES! Everyone else takes critical damage.
Re: This is NOT a solution to school shootings...
« Reply #120 on: October 24, 2006, 09:40:56 PM »
Out of curiosity here, why do any of you that don't live here in the US really care whether or not I, my neighbor or even his dog have a gun?  It isn't like any of us will be shooting at you.  If we want to kill each other, again I don't see how you are affected in the least.  Heck, I'd think you'd be jumping for joy as that is one less American to muck around and foul up the rest of the planet with, at least according to some here, our bad manners, habits and attitudes.   

Cause you're mostly nice people and it pisses me off to see nice people do stupid things. Plus, it has a very real social effect on Americans as a whole, and it ain't a positive one. And finally, we want our colony back!

Plus I am confused by your appeal to the "it's not your country, so how is it your business?" logic. Since the current administration pretty much abandoned that one in Iraq. And before you parachute about how your government is not the same as your actual people, may I remind you that many of your brethren voted for the stupid beslubberer, again?

Your right Chuck, and NOOOO, you cannot have it back... if you wanted to keep it so bad then you should have kept tea prices down.... ;-)

I do appreciate your caring attitude, even though I find it misplaced in this case. I have always said that although our two nations got off to a rocky start, we could not ask for better allies/people to be tied so close with. A friendlier nation I have never visited... although admittedly I did a lot of drinking there, and every one is happy when drunk.

Also to anyone who says that the opinion of a foreigner about your country means little, your wrong. Well read criticisms should be voiced as we all know our media has there own agenda and puts spin on a lot of things. It helps to have a number of sources so that we can all compare notes in an effort to more clearly see the truth. Sometimes the best observations are taken from outside your box. Especially this is the case when dealing with the States. The US for better or worse, has taken a (possibly thee) leading position in the world and her choices effect the entire world. Also keep in mind that if the world were a pure democracy (As Dubbya SAYS he wants it) then China And India will be calling the shots on vote day... Unless we get a world wide electoral college....

And...well... I hate to say it but a lot of these Foreign Chaps pay better attention to American politics then Americans do. This is also one of the few places that I have found that lets you have an informed conversation about politics, both American, and Worldwide.
"... of the liberty of conscience in matters of religious faith, of speech and of the press; of the trail by jury of the vicinage in civil and criminal cases; of the benefit of the writ of habeas corpus; of the right to keep and bear arms... If these rights are well defined, and secured against encroachment, it is impossible that government should ever degenerate into tyranny."

-James Monroe

Offline Andalharan

• To love is to live, to live is to love.
« Reply #121 on: October 24, 2006, 09:46:11 PM »
And...well... I hate to say it but a lot of these Foreign Chaps pay better attention to American politics then Americans do. This is also one of the few places that I have found that lets you have an informed conversation about politics, both American, and Worldwide.

Probably because their news agencies actually report news, instead of telling them the latest thing Mel Gibson said or Britney's hubby's done... *grumble*

Which is why I've taken to watching BBC news as well as listening to foreign radio news shows on my shortwave. It's nice to hear an unbiased viewpoint every once and a while. Or at least biased in a foreign way.  ;)  :D
I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Offline Chuckles, The Space Marine Clown

• Can't Touch This; Captain; Swarmlord - Tyranid Sweatshop Operator; 40KO's Official WMD; "No American orphans, please"
  • Ancient
  • I kill, maim and torture because I care
« Reply #122 on: October 24, 2006, 10:05:33 PM »
Out of curiosity here, why do any of you that don't live here in the US really care whether or not I, my neighbor or even his dog have a gun?  It isn't like any of us will be shooting at you.  If we want to kill each other, again I don't see how you are affected in the least.  Heck, I'd think you'd be jumping for joy as that is one less American to muck around and foul up the rest of the planet with, at least according to some here, our bad manners, habits and attitudes.   

Cause you're mostly nice people and it pisses me off to see nice people do stupid things. Plus, it has a very real social effect on Americans as a whole, and it ain't a positive one. And finally, we want our colony back!

Plus I am confused by your appeal to the "it's not your country, so how is it your business?" logic. Since the current administration pretty much abandoned that one in Iraq. And before you parachute about how your government is not the same as your actual people, may I remind you that many of your brethren voted for the stupid beslubberer, again?

Your right Chuck, and NOOOO, you cannot have it back... if you wanted to keep it so bad then you should have kept tea prices down.... ;-)

I do appreciate your caring attitude, even though I find it misplaced in this case. I have always said that although our two nations got off to a rocky start, we could not ask for better allies/people to be tied so close with. A friendlier nation I have never visited... although admittedly I did a lot of drinking there, and every one is happy when drunk.

Also to anyone who says that the opinion of a foreigner about your country means little, your wrong. Well read criticisms should be voiced as we all know our media has there own agenda and puts spin on a lot of things. It helps to have a number of sources so that we can all compare notes in an effort to more clearly see the truth. Sometimes the best observations are taken from outside your box. Especially this is the case when dealing with the States. The US for better or worse, has taken a (possibly thee) leading position in the world and her choices effect the entire world. Also keep in mind that if the world were a pure democracy (As Dubbya SAYS he wants it) then China And India will be calling the shots on vote day... Unless we get a world wide electoral college....

Very gracious of you. I realise that it's possible that in the past some of my comments have come across as being rather bile-ridden. When I make red-neck jokes, I do it not in an attempt to insult you. I do it because I'm a tactless limey  ;) And I'm glad you liked fair Albion. Next time you're over if you ever feel like having a drink or two (or three, or seven...) PM me and I'll do my best to find you a decent watering hole.

I realise the whole "why the hell do you all want guns?" thing can seem a bit...intrusive. My only defence is that I'm not doing this because I think I know best and you should all do what I say because I'm smarter than you. I attempt to tell you my position because I personally am of the opinion that firearms are something the armed forces should be allowed to play with, and nobody else. I know of few people allowed to toy with high explosives who aren't in the military and I feel the same should apply to guns. If you like them that much, join the army, where you get paid to play with them?

It's hard to be objective when looking at your own country (or, as many many debates here have proven, other people's countries). But it's a damn good idea to try and keep one's distance from the politics etc and just look at the issue calmly. I know guns are pretty fun. I was given a handgun a few years ago when on holiday in Egypt by a plainclothes policeman we were touring the Valley of the Kings with, and I won't deny it was pretty neat. But I'm also pretty sure that joyriding is quite a lot of fun. Being attractive is not the only requirement for something to be a good idea.

Andalharan: if you think European news doesn't spend an inordinate amount of time examining just how fat Charlotte Church is (triple chin, gutted), then you're about to be disabused. Then again, I've spent a long time looking for and not finding a news service superior to the BBC. And I can honestly say that it's one of the least biased news agencies I've been able to find, politically at least. It naturally tends to focus on things of primarily British interest

The forum rules are fair and just. *twitch*

Offline DUDEMAESTRO

• JESUS SAVES! Everyone else takes critical damage.
« Reply #123 on: October 24, 2006, 10:23:39 PM »
Honestly Chuck when I have claimed grave indifference about your redneck jokes I have used it as a smokescreen cause my position was closing in and I needed that most precious of debate commodities... you to be drawn off topic ;-) Truth is you are exellent at debate, and I find my own beliefes being challenged here and there (don't get to big a head though I always come to my senses ;-)).

I may not hold as high a place in my life the UN as you do, but I am sure you will do well there. My invite to you will always be open ended and to you my friend (and of course FMG), if your in my neck of the woods (Colorado Area) PM me for a Drink and or a game of 40K or An Avalanche, Crush, or Bronco's game.
"... of the liberty of conscience in matters of religious faith, of speech and of the press; of the trail by jury of the vicinage in civil and criminal cases; of the benefit of the writ of habeas corpus; of the right to keep and bear arms... If these rights are well defined, and secured against encroachment, it is impossible that government should ever degenerate into tyranny."

-James Monroe