News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Alternative Map for Campaign  (Read 1229 times)

Offline Mortalis

• Master of waste disposal
  • For Gondor.
Alternative Map for Campaign
« on: February 20, 2012, 11:39:59 PM »
Hey guys,

I am currenlty working on a campaign for Lotr that takes place in the city of Osgiliath. The campaign is in a reasonably standard form with a campaign turn and a game turn however it does not utilise a conventional 'Map' in the Dawn of War style.  The 'Campaign Map' is the board itself; a huge Osgiliath themed board 3m by 3.5m, that is subdivided into sections known as sectors.

The campaign begins with Gondor and Mordor setting up their units in their home sector and over the course of the game turn each armies troops spread claiming sectors of the city and engaging in conflict.

After the Game turn is over (A fixed length of 15 turns) the first phase of the Campaign turn involves determining which teams control each sector. If it is empty it belongs to the last team that had a unit in it. If no one has yet entered it; it is neutral. If a sector contains only units from one army then that territory is uncontested and is held by that army. If there are units from both armies, the territory is contested.

To determine which side owns a contested territory a system of 'control points' is used. Each unit in each army generates a certain amount of control points;
Infantry - 1
Cavalry - 2
Trolls - 5
etcetera

Whomever has the most control points owns the territory. If the CP count is equal, go off the total points of the the units within the territory.

Once the ownership of a contested territory has been determined troop allocation begins;
Both sides remove all their models from the territory.
The owner of the territory then redeploys their troops within the territory however they like, as long as their redeployed troops do not come within 18" of an enemy unit from another territory.
The non-owner of the territory the redeploys their units within an adjacent friendly or neutral territory ensuring no units are placed within 18" of an enemy unit from another territory. If there are no friendly or neutral territories adjacent to the territory in question then the units are destroyed, and must be repurchased.

If ownership can not be determined the units continue fighting and remain where they are.

The campaign ends, when one player owns all of the territories in the city and the commencement of a campaign turn.

So this is the system we have developed for this new map style for our campaign.

How do you guys think it will run? Forsee any problems I haven't thought of?

Thanks heaps in advance guys,

~Morty

PS

If you play lotr and are interested in a tighter knit lotr community show your interest in this thread in the community section of the forum:
http://www.40konline.com/index.php?topic=220191.0
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 11:43:22 PM by Mortalis »

Offline Benis

• 77 Shades Of Decay | Lazerous Penguin | Death to the Emperor with a Pulse!
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Getkilling
Re: Alternative Map for Campaign
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, 08:40:44 AM »
I have little memory of Lotr, I haven't played it since somewhere around 2004 but it does sound like it would be quite a cool campaign although perhaps fifteen turns is a bit tedious? I'm unsure since I don't recall much of the actual rules though.  :-[

I do have some general comments on the campaign turn:

The owner of the territory then redeploys their troops within the territory however they like, as long as their redeployed troops do not come within 18" of an enemy unit from another territory.

Wouldn't there be better to have a sort of no man's land between the zones just to make deployment easier and so that no massive advantage comes to the person who manages the dice off for first deployment?

Will units exert their control points no matter where they are in the territory? This might lead to a lot of camping and missile weapons, perhaps it can be combined with a no man's land so that units can't contest in no man's land, this would mean they have to be fairly close to actually influence the outcome in a territory.

How does it work with reinforcement and dead heroes and the likes? Will both sides continue to be equally matched even as one of the sides has to occupy a lot of territory?

Will there be a thread on the campaign board with lotsa pictures? :)

Offline Mortalis

• Master of waste disposal
  • For Gondor.
Re: Alternative Map for Campaign
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2012, 07:12:42 PM »
Alrightio Benis :D

Before we go anywhere, here is some more detail on how the campaign works;
http://www.40konline.com/index.php?topic=220255.0

Wouldn't there be better to have a sort of no man's land between the zones just to make deployment easier and so that no massive advantage comes to the person who manages the dice off for first deployment?

I must have misexplained myself here sorry.

So the board is going to be comprised of about 8 territories. Players start in one corner Territory diagonally opposite each other. The redeployment of troops ONLY occurs after a battle and a territory is contested. A temporary no mans land essentially is created by the units not being allowed to be within 18" of each other.

The whole purpose of the troop redistribution is to keep the game moving. If units get bogged down fighting over one territory with no side really gaiing the upper hand and both sides continually sinking in reinforcements, we will never get anywhere. In this way one side is forced to retreat each turn and one side gains the territory, making a quick clear victroy each campaign turn, so the combat can begin afresh next game phase.

I have little memory of Lotr, I haven't played it since somewhere around 2004 but it does sound like it would be quite a cool campaign although perhaps fifteen turns is a bit tedious? I'm unsure since I don't recall much of the actual rules though.  :-[

We have playtested and found 15 turns to be a good length. We were initially going to have 25. In lotr turns goa a fucload faster. Particularly in this instance where the board is 3m by 3.5m, there will be alot of turns where all we do is run troops around play cat and mouse.

Will there be a thread on the campaign board with lotsa pictures? :)

We are going to do a video log/report at the start of every campaign and game turn phase and upload it to youtube :D

Will units exert their control points no matter where they are in the territory? This might lead to a lot of camping and missile weapons, perhaps it can be combined with a no man's land so that units can't contest in no man's land, this would mean they have to be fairly close to actually influence the outcome in a territory.

Yes units always exhert control points. If you want to leave a squad of archer camping in your command building so you don't lose control of that territroy you can. In lotr there are a restriction o nthe amount of missle units you can take in an army; 33% to be exact. So there won't be too many :)

How does it work with reinforcement and dead heroes and the likes? Will both sides continue to be equally matched even as one of the sides has to occupy a lot of territory?

For this I will refer you to the above link I posted. Heroes and reinforcements are purchased with the primary resource of the campaign; gold. How to obtain gold and spend it is detailed in the above link :)

Thanks so much for your interest man :)

Have I answered all your questions?

~Morty