News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Blood Sharks, a 'Rites of Battle' chapter  (Read 2566 times)

Offline Karadram

• A new threat on the Eastern Fringes...
Blood Sharks, a 'Rites of Battle' chapter
« on: March 8, 2013, 03:40:12 PM »
So, I rolled up a custom chapter using the generator from Deathwatch: Rites of Battle (see Fantasy Flight Games).
Or well, I had an idea of what I wanted, and through some act of fate I got pretty (eerily) close to what I wanted
by just using my date of birth over and over (with a few minor tweaks here and there).

For abit more info on the Blood Sharks, I'll be posting some more fluff stuff in another thread (on the Space Marine board)
as I'm not sure that fits here.

On with the show then!
It's quite literally been ages since last time I played and I'm trying to get back in yet again.
Having painted up a small force of the "brown marines" of an as of yet unnamed chapter I'm looking to start another
space marine army of these guys, based on the Blood Angels codex for maximum melee carnage goodness!

I've done a bunch of research and reading and this is a rough draft of the list I'm looking to build.
Well, it's not so much an army list as a list of what I intend to get/have, but I'd be happy to hear what you guys might
have to think about it!

HQ: Librarian with Jump Pack; probably Blood Lance power.

Elites: 3 Sanguinary Priests with Jump Packs.

Troops: 7 Assault Marines with Jump Packs, sergeant with Power Fist.

Troops: 7 Assault Marines with Jump Packs, sergeant with Power Fist (Maybe add some special weapons?)

Troops: 3-5 Death Company with Power Fist/Power Weapons (really unsure about these guys).

Fast Attack: Baal Predator with twin Assault Cannons.

Fast Attack: Baal Predator with twin Assault Cannons.

Heavy Support: Vindicator.

Heavy Support: Vindicator. (Maybe add Stormbolter to both for added survivability?)

Heavy Support: 5-10 Devastators with 4x Heavy Bolters

The main idea I guess is to blow stuff away with my tanks, who also provide some cover for the infantry.
Have the infantry deal with tanks and objectives, accompanied by the Sanguinary Priests.
Librarian will just.. Jump around and kill stuff or support other units.

Sound like a good idea or am I way out of my head here?
I want it to be sort of competitive but not downright cheesy.

Offline Koval, Master Verispex

• 40kOnline's Care Bear of Tanks | The Velvet Glove of Fated Tenderness and Ambition
  • Ancient
  • Well, that was unexpected...
  • Armies: Imperial Guard (Indelvian 190th Mechanised)
Re: Blood Sharks, a 'Rites of Battle' chapter
« Reply #1 on: March 8, 2013, 04:02:58 PM »
To be honest, I'd lose the Death Company, and use the points to arm your Assault Squads with nice things instead. For Death Company to be more than just Slightly Crazy Grey Hunters*, you've got to spend points on them, and that then tends to add up. If you want nice things from a close combat unit, I'd honestly consider Vanguard Veterans, just because Codex: Blood Angels actually makes them viable.

Not sure about heavy bolter Devastators either, but that's a personal thing as I just like plasma cannons too damn much.

Other than that, if you draw up an actual list with some comments (either at the end, or on each entry like I've started doing), that'll A) help you define where you're going, and B) give us something to actually critique formally. :)

*Yes, I am making a cross-Codex analogy. No, I'm not bothered. :P
« Last Edit: March 8, 2013, 04:19:34 PM by Koval, Savant Preceptor »

Offline Karadram

« Reply #2 on: March 8, 2013, 04:11:58 PM »
So, I rolled up a custom chapter using the generator from Deathwatch: Rites of Battle (see Fantasy Flight Games). Or well, I had an idea of what I wanted, and through some act of fate I got pretty (eerily) close to what I wanted by just using my date of birth over and over (with a few minor tweaks here and there).

I plan on using a mix of Space Marine and Khorne Berzerker bitz to create the Blood Sharks. Why Berzerkers? For the chains of course! Chains are awesome! And the toothlike edges that adorn the armour.
The Blood Sharks believe that the chains will help them restrain the raging bloodlust within them.

But let's run through the generator results shall we!

Why was the Chapter founded?
- (1) Strategic Prognostication:

Fate determined that it was needed.

When was the Chapter founded?
- (98) Unknown

The Chapters origins have been lost through war.

Progenitor
- (51) Blood Angels

Purity
- (0=10) Flawed

50/50 Progenitor or Random Demeanour + 1-8: Chapter Flaw

Codex Demeanors
- (2) Cleanse and Purify

The Chapter has either Cleanse and Purify or The Red Thirst.

Gene-seed Deficiencies
- (7) Lost Zygote - Progenoid

The Chapter has lost the ability to create new recruits.

Chapter Flaw
- (8) Eye to Eye

The Chapter sees no honour in any other form of combat than close quarter.

Chapter Characteristic Modifiers
- (51) Duty unto Death

They will fight on when most others may have perished. +5 Toughness and Willpower.

Figures of Legend
- (02) Roll again (70) Blood Angels Master of Sanctity

Ancient Vanagand, Prophet of the Paths.

Deeds of Legend
- (--) Eradicated the Torca

Vanagand led the Chapter on a crusade that saw the destruction of the Torca, a brutal and vile alien race.

Chapter Homeworld
- (--) Fleet Based

The Chapter is constantly on the move, as if looking for something..?

Chapter Organisation
- (9) Unique Organisation

Combat Doctrine
- (-)(5) Lightning Strike

Solo Mode Abilities
- (10) Blood Angels' Blood Frenzy

Squad Mode Attack Patterns
- (27) Blood Angels' Fury of Sanguinius

Squad Mode Defensive Stances
- (--) Blood Angels' Feel No Pain

Speciality Restrictions
- (00) Scouts

Since the chapter cannot create new recruits, Scout units are extremely rare.

Special Equipment
- (--) Modified Weaponry

The Chapter uses a unique sword design with large jagged edges.

Chapter Beliefs
- (85) Totem Creature - The Shark

Chapter Status
- (1) Endangered

Chapter Friends
- (02) Administratum

The Chapter have friends in high places indeed.

Chapter Enemies
- (70) A particular Daemon, Daemon Prince or Disciple of Chaos

Chapter Name
- (07) Bloody (01) Angels...
(00) Name of a Chapter hero(totemic creature) Sharks

Custom Chapter Advance Tables
- (98) Xenos Bane

So! The Blood Sharks are a Blood Angels (Flesh Eaters) successor chapter. They prefer to get up close and personal with their enemy (where they can taste the flesh and blood of their slain foes!). As with many sons of Sanguinius, the Sharks suffer heavily from the Black Rage. To counter this, one of the chapters first Master of Sanctity, Ancient Vanagand, had his brothers symbolically chain the beast within them by wearing heavy chains. Although not a foolproof method, there has been a decline of brothers getting "Lost in the Red Mist" as the Sharks call it, Since it's founding, the gene-seed has degraded to the point where it is no longer usable. This has caused the chapter to become somewhat sombre, as each casualty draws them one step closer to extinction. But rather than slowly fade away into nothing the Blood Sharks are hell bent on going out in a blaze of glory! Throwing themselves at the foe with frenzied hatred while the chapters Sanguinary Priests do their best to keep every brother fighting another day.

[gmod]This post was merged with the list thread as posting a separate thread for the fluff and the justification how you came to design the chapter was not required.[/gmod]
« Last Edit: March 8, 2013, 10:04:45 PM by Grand Master Lomandalis »

Offline Karadram

« Reply #3 on: March 8, 2013, 04:21:08 PM »
Thanks for that Sonic the Hedgehog fast reply!

Unfortunately I've already posted on the Space Marine board, maybe a nice mod could move it if it's in the wrong place (sorry about that!)
Ditch the Death Company you say? Well I didn't really want them in in the first place so that suits me just fine!
I'll try and write up a proper list that can be worked with.

Plasma Cannons!? But they're so expensive and dangerous! The ork in me loves all the dakka that 4 heavy bolters deliver. Are plasma a better choice in 6th then?

You can make all the cross-Codex analogies that you want for all I care ;)

Offline Koval, Master Verispex

• 40kOnline's Care Bear of Tanks | The Velvet Glove of Fated Tenderness and Ambition
  • Ancient
  • Well, that was unexpected...
  • Armies: Imperial Guard (Indelvian 190th Mechanised)
« Reply #4 on: March 8, 2013, 04:30:15 PM »
What's dangerous about them? A 5.56% chance of one Devastator killing himself? The Ork in you ought to ignore such pathetic risks and embrace the potential for big blasty fun times, the ability to blow up Terminators, and the sheer unpredictability of where your blast markers can actually ends up. :P

But yeah, if you can put a proper list together, that'll get further than just "units you think you'll use" -- for example, what points level do you intend to play at? That'll affect how much you can fit into your army list and gives you (and us) an idea of what will and won't work at your chosen level.