News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Captain Calamity's Kharadron Overlords (And Other Things)  (Read 61694 times)

Offline Calamity

• Concussor Concussed Dice | Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Cocking up miniatures since 1998
  • Armies: Kharadron Overlords, Bloodbound, Celestial Lions
Captain Calamity's Kharadron Overlords (And Other Things)
« on: June 13, 2017, 12:17:53 PM »

I wanna share details of My Overlords, the coolest models GW has made in years.  8)

Right now I have an Admiral, Khemist, Navigator, Endrinmaster, 20 Arkanaught Company fighters, a Frigate and an Ironclad.  A decent minimum sized force, I have no idea what skyport they'll belong to.  Back in the day I had a red and white coloured dwarf army (now long departed via eBay  :'(), so I'm tempted to go with Barak Thryng as a tribute to them.  But the temptation to make my own is too strong.

You'll be wanting pics!  So here they be.  The frigate (currently in sections for ease of painting):

The chief himself, the Admiral:

and the currently assembled fighters:

Even though the Volley pistol is a better choice, I went with the flare gun with the Captain for fluff reasons.  He can send signals with a flare gun. 

Stay tuned for more very soon. ;D

« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 03:44:23 PM by Captain Calamity »

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
Re: Captain Calamity's Kharadron Overlords
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2017, 11:15:42 PM »
Such freaking cool models! Have you decided on what skyport you're going to play as?
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Orks, Chaos Space Marines, Eldar, Dark Eldar
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2017, 04:37:01 AM »
Very cool models. I can't wait go see some paint on these bad boys.

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2017, 06:18:54 AM »
The Kharadron range is one of the best that GW has put out in a long time. Very, very cool. Can't wait to see what you do with these guys!
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2017, 10:41:04 AM »
I am definitely in the minority here but I am not a fan of the new Kharadron range. The models look like they are the usual quality produced by GW but I am not a fan of steam punk in general. I am still looking forward to what you do with them though.

Carry on at this rate and you will have to consider changing your username.fifteen models and no reported calamities. I hope your good fortune continues.
Quote from: Starrakatt
"Russ, get your work done or you won't see your damn console for the next month!"
Quote from: Cavalier
Honestly Alienscar, we get it... you dont like painting!

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2017, 11:10:26 AM »
Such freaking cool models! Have you decided on what skyport you're going to play as?

When I first saw these models via a friend's text message I was so blown away I literally gasped.  :o  The last time I was waiting this anxiously for GW models it was the impending release of Mordheim.  That's how significant they are to me.  :D

As for my choice of skyport, like I was saying, back in the day I had a red and white dwarf army.  So I'm tempted to paint them up as Barak-Thryng as a tribute to them.  But the temptation to do my own skyport is strong.  And Barak-Zilfin look so pretty...

Very cool models. I can't wait go see some paint on these bad boys.
The Kharadron range is one of the best that GW has put out in a long time. Very, very cool. Can't wait to see what you do with these guys!

Thank you guys!

I can share with you guys more Overlords too!  Here's all the Warrant Officers:

and my Frigate fully assembled (but still not glued):

I am definitely in the minority here but I am not a fan of the new Kharadron range. The models look like they are the usual quality produced by GW but I am not a fan of steam punk in general. I am still looking forward to what you do with them though.

Carry on at this rate and you will have to consider changing your username.fifteen models and no reported calamities. I hope your good fortune continues.

You might have spoken too soon Alienscar.  ;D

Just too small issues.  I think I should have left more off the Navigator and Endrinmaster, for ease of painting.  And look:

My ship has a gap in the hull.  Filling it with green stuff might be tricky.  I don't trust myself to not ruin the detail.  Oh, and I think I was wrong to stick those carbines in before painting.  These two issues might come back to haunt me later.  :-\

But...neither are a calamity just yet.  Yet.  :P

Question.  Those new ball joint flying bases.  Once you stick the model on them, can you take it off?

« Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 11:13:15 AM by Captain Calamity »

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Orks, Chaos Space Marines, Eldar, Dark Eldar
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2017, 03:11:45 PM »
If they're the same as the dark eldar raider's, then it should be no problem.

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2017, 04:22:15 AM »
Ooh nice :) the more i see these guys the more useful little greebles i see for 40k conversions. They almost seem made for it ;)

Looking forward to seeing some paint on these guys :))
Check out my Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders :)

Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders!

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2017, 03:58:16 PM »
Ooh nice :) the more i see these guys the more useful little greebles i see for 40k conversions. They almost seem made for it ;)

Looking forward to seeing some paint on these guys :))

Did someone say Squats?  ;) :D

And look, more Overlords!

And as a treat, here's a not so great pic of the entire fleet in it's current...entirety.

Tomorrow I'll be building the Ironclad and holy amphetamine parrot does this thing look massive.  Then next week I hope to start painting them.  I'm sure I'll have a scheme worked out by then.

One small issue...it turns out that I have actually glued the flying base of my Frigate on backwards.  But it's not a calamity because it now means that the ship angles up, making it look more dramatic!  Having said that, if I can swap it around or replace it I probably will.  :P
« Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 08:20:05 PM by Captain Calamity »

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2017, 05:16:48 PM »
G'day Captain Calamity!
Wow; They look really nice. Can't afford another hobby, so I won't be going into AoS. However If I did, these boys would be my choice of army. You've done a great job assembling them, mate. Looking forward to living vicariously through you to enjoy the Overlords of Aos.

Thanks for sharing!

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2017, 08:27:46 AM »
You're very welcome Saim-dann!  :)

At present, I've not started the ironclad because I forgot about the release of new 40k.  And speaking of new 40k, here's my Primarus Marines in their current form:

I've not yet attached them to their bases because I'm thinking of doing something special with them.  My friend is going to town with the death guards bases (rocks and bubbling goo) so I feel obliged to put the same amount of effort into mine.  ;D
« Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 08:29:51 AM by Captain Calamity »

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2017, 08:35:41 AM »
Hey Captain!
Their coming along nicely. Won't be receiving mine till Wednesday, so your getting a head start on me mate. What chapter are you painting them?

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2017, 08:41:18 AM »
Ah, now that is the question!  Like my Overlords, I'm struggling to pick a chapter to go with, but two keep coming back to me; the Raptors...and the Rainbow Warriors.  So maybe one of them.  Maybe.  :-\

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2017, 08:46:28 AM »
Marines that size would look imposing as Raptors, Captain. Big honk'n mean green fighting machines!

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2017, 09:06:48 AM »
That is true, but I am going to be fighting death guard most of the time, who are also green.  Not much of a contrast.  Unless my friend paints them in that bone white scheme you sometimes see them in.

My gut says Rainbow Warriors...I don't know why but they just seem cool to me.  Even with a name like that.  ;D

I am thinking of painting the Overlords green though.  None of the named sky ports seem to use it.  But is the colour of their eye pieces.  So it's only a thought at the moment.

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2017, 09:38:14 AM »
Well Cap,
With rainbow in their name you know they learned to fight earlier than most. What is their fluff. Maybe go with the background that appeals to you.

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2017, 09:53:07 AM »
The Rainbow Warriors are vague enough for me to fill in the gaps.  ;D

There's also the Death Strike chapter, which is very similar.  I'll be honest, it's that be-atching chapter symbol I'm most interested in.  8)

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2017, 10:02:51 AM »
Yes, I see. It's very striking isn't it. Do they have transfers for of that badge or are you going to have to paint it on eeeeevery model?

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2017, 10:21:23 AM »
As far as I know, there are no transfers for either of these chapters.  So I will have to paint that symbol by hand.  It'll be a hell of a test of my painting skill.  :o

Also, I'm starting to formulate a scheme for my Overlords.  Space age silver and grey.  But is it suitable?  Maybe I should be painting them brassy antique colours.  They are steam punk after all.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 10:23:09 AM by Captain Calamity »

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2017, 01:30:00 PM »
Looking good so far Tangi. Glad to see you back on the boards with two awesome new factions. Love the new Dwarves... absolutely legendary. Also a big fan of the Primaris Marines.

The scheme you mentioned with grey and silver sounds awesome for the Overlords. However I can highly recommend Balthasar Gold if you want a more classic steampunk look. I used it extensivley on the World Eaters stuff I did.

Also I vote Death Strike chapter. What a badass name and their chapter badge is sick. Death Strike!!! Keep up the great work bud. Glad to see you working on models again  ;D ;D ;D ;D
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/