News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Magos Biologis: Strains of Terror (Nid Army Pics)  (Read 128354 times)

Offline kipper

• putting the "laughter" back into "slaughter"
Re: Magos Biologis: Strains of Terror (Nid Army Pics)
« Reply #60 on: April 11, 2009, 05:27:42 AM »
the reason for the blue tounge was...well.... i have very limited amount of colours to use. hence why there is a few pots of the old, old style pots.

it was either red, grey, gold or blue.   i dont think it looks to weird.  and if the entire army has blue tounges then it will just look normal.
All forms of resistance are futile in the face of the combined might of a packet of party rings!

Offline dobbin.rob

« Reply #61 on: May 10, 2009, 05:46:00 PM »
man this is awsome, looking through these army pic's has inspired me to get off my backside and finish off my swarm. nid's are the first army i did for 40k and started as a small mob off gaunts lead by some hardy warriors that has since grown to a full size swarm and my pride and joy so heres my fleet with some close ups of my fav's:

not everything is painted but patience is a virtue

my fav nid model if a plastic one comes out im having 20 :D

no paint:( forgeworld sent me 2 left legs so they're not on him yet:(

at one point i decided diferent creatures would be made from diferent biomass so i made my MC different colours do make them stand out.

the first one i tryed to blend the carapace rather than highlight it point of view would be very appreaciated on this one ta

so there it is my hive fleet im currently trying to create a dctylis and get the rest of this painted i also have some more gaunts to build and paint.:)

« Last Edit: May 10, 2009, 05:53:57 PM by dobbin.rob »

Offline nesbitt_bub1

• Infinity Circuit
  • Stop looking at my AVATAR, read what i did write!!
« Reply #62 on: May 10, 2009, 05:56:46 PM »
Rob mate here's one of your painted titans with better levels. Right click and open in new window for full sized image.

« Last Edit: May 10, 2009, 05:58:26 PM by nesbitt_bub1 »

Offline dobbin.rob

« Reply #63 on: May 10, 2009, 06:23:26 PM »
thank you kindly i was wondering if ur pic were better than mine:)

Offline MaldeCaderas

• the uncureable
« Reply #64 on: May 10, 2009, 06:28:30 PM »
Wow, these are awesome! Great colors and nice details!
smaller the hope, precious it is

Offline Slorpzork

• Hivefleet Nyarlathotep
  • Armies: Tyranids, Chaos Space Marines, Sisters of Battle
« Reply #65 on: June 15, 2009, 04:26:46 PM »
My Big-Ones are done so far....

(click on image for a larger view)

[UPDATE]

It's been two years now that i painted my first genestealer. Tonight i finished the last one:) I find Genestealers very hard to do, because of the creases in the back, so I'm glad, that I won't have to paint any more.

Here are some pictures of everything that is completely painted. My army has something about 5200 points, so there's still a lot of work ahead of me....including the finishing of the barbed hierodule in the back, many many ripperswarms and some classic models like old one eye and the red terror.

« Last Edit: December 30, 2009, 09:15:38 AM by Slorpzork »
Hive Fleet Nyarlathotep

Offline Lord Alliben

• Ripper
  • jo. Ph34r my l33t skillz. B4x4^2!
    • Alliben's Homepage
« Reply #66 on: June 16, 2009, 08:05:49 AM »
Wow man. That's beautiful. Very nice job. I'd like to see all the little bugs and the rest of the army when you get done with them.

Offline Slorpzork

• Hivefleet Nyarlathotep
« Reply #67 on: June 21, 2009, 08:19:36 PM »
I'd like to see all the little bugs and the rest of the army when you get done with them

There you go....I updated my post above with some new Pictures of the little ones....have fun.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2009, 08:23:41 PM by Slorpzork »
Hive Fleet Nyarlathotep

Offline Nihilanth

• My Gaming Blog
« Reply #68 on: June 21, 2009, 08:26:20 PM »
Looking good, guys! But, this thread needs more activity! :D

I'll make a one image contribution (since I haven't really painted any more nids except this since my last post in this thread).

Offline GaleRazorwind

• Hormagaunt
  • Ziltoid Lives!
  • Armies: Nids, BA, CSM
« Reply #69 on: June 29, 2009, 01:17:28 AM »
I'll try to put up some pics of my army, but they are really hard to photgraph because they are basically solid black and white with orange stripes. I'm not a big painter so I just came up with a simple but good looking scheme.
Ziltoid is so omniscient, if there were to be two omnisciences, he would be both!

Offline GaleRazorwind

• Hormagaunt
  • Ziltoid Lives!
« Reply #70 on: June 30, 2009, 03:06:01 PM »
Sorry for the double post, but I wanted to make sure this would bump so people would make sure to see Hive Fleet Box Elder Bug in all its slightly blurry glory. First, this is a Box Elder Bug:

And my army:

And here is what my 'Ard Boyz list looks like:

BTW, I actually do have my gaunts checkerboarded in this picture. I painted a one or a two on their base to show which squad they are in.
Ziltoid is so omniscient, if there were to be two omnisciences, he would be both!

Offline Eugee

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #71 on: June 30, 2009, 03:44:03 PM »
I'm not done with my army yet, but here's two battleforces that I've finished with (except the bases).  It's a Leviathan color scheme, only I tried to match the endoskeleton of the box art, instead of that glow in the dark bone white.

« Last Edit: June 30, 2009, 03:46:11 PM by Eugee »

Offline Zombie_dla

« Reply #72 on: June 30, 2009, 04:46:58 PM »
Coolest Hive Fleet Leviathan I ever saw! ;D Only critigue I have is that the green details don't really seem to fit in with the rest of the colour scheme.

Offline Slorpzork

• Hivefleet Nyarlathotep
« Reply #73 on: June 30, 2009, 06:35:39 PM »
@GaleRazorwind: Although the images are blurry i would say that your army looks very cool. The colourscheme may be simple but it's nevertheless very effective. It reminds me of the colours of a black widow.... I bet your opponents are wetting their pants:)
 Never heard of that bug before but it always adds a very strong sense of plausibility to tyranids if you base them on some real thing. I wish the images were better, have you tried to use a tripod to stabilize your camera?

@Eugee: Wow, that Leviathan Army is sweet. Anytime i look at pictures of the GW-Army i wish they would have used something less bleak and white, so your decision makes absolutely sense to me. Great job.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2009, 06:38:18 PM by Slorpzork »
Hive Fleet Nyarlathotep

Offline GaleRazorwind

• Hormagaunt
  • Ziltoid Lives!
« Reply #74 on: June 30, 2009, 10:15:21 PM »
^Here in Minnesota, USA, everyone knows what a box elder bug is and they always crack up when they hear my Nids are based on them. In the Fall, they like to gather by the thousands on Box Elder trees, which are a type of maple tree. They will also swarm on regular maple trees too. Then, they move to sun themselves on the walls of houses. At night, they crawl into cracks in your walls and windows and get inside your walls where they will invariable find their way inside, where they are quite happy to be. They buzz around lights, crawl on walls, and overall just annoy the hell out of everyone. Every time it gets warm outside, more bugs will show up. They invade our house every year and we don't stop seeing them until late March.

Offline wiggles

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #75 on: July 1, 2009, 05:08:16 PM »
This thread is full of win. makes me want to go trawling through ebay auctions to land a nice big swarm of gribblies all of my own.

I definitely wouldn't fancy all the painting though. Might have to resort to dipping the little blighters.

Offline GaleRazorwind

• Hormagaunt
  • Ziltoid Lives!
« Reply #76 on: July 1, 2009, 06:23:23 PM »
^To make my color scheme, I first give everything an orange coat of spray paint, then a black coat of spraypaint, and then I do one color at a time on all the models before moving to a different color. I basically only use blazing orange and skull white for the talons. Even so, it does still take several hours to get everyone painted...

Offline Slorpzork

• Hivefleet Nyarlathotep
« Reply #77 on: July 1, 2009, 08:02:00 PM »
I wish i had gone for such a simplistic but effective colourscheme.....

Someone asked me, what colours i use and so i think i will post my workflow here, maybe it is of some interest to you:

First of all i used some pictures of the local hornets as a starting point. I tested some schemes in Photoshop and pinned the printed images as a reference above my painting table. It looks something like this:

After many weeks experimenting i developed a decent workflow that is still too long to be effective for such a large army, but hey, painting is half of the fun, so i don't care how long it takes. Here's what i do:

01- Base Coat with Chaos-Black Spraypaint
02- First overpaint with blood red (not too much, black still visible)
03- Second overpaint with blood red (opaque with black still visible in gaps)
04- Drybrush highlighting with Mechrite Orange
05- Using thinned chaos black to fill the creases and slots especially at the hinges and joints
06- Filling the mouth and eye sockets and painting the Claws and hoofs with chaos black.
07- Painting all carapaces with skull white as a basecoat for the yellow paint (which won't be opaque on the black/red otherwise)- Also painting teeth and eyes white.
08- A layer of golden yellow over white basecot on carapaces.
09- Painting the patterns on the backs and drybrushing the bases with Dark flesh. I wanted every subspecies to have its own distinguishable set of lines and curves, so that they may be easily recognized on the battlefield. So Hormies got different patterns than Raveners and so on....figuring this out took quite a while...
10- Painting the inner markings of the patterns with Chaos black
11- Giving the bases some more light with vomit brown
12- Highlighting bases with Bleached Bone
13- Highlighting the highpoints on arms and legs with a small line of vomit brown
14- Giving the weapons and claws a metallic finish with boltgun metal (my idea was, that the tyranid organisms produce some kind of metallic oxide to form their weapon-biomorphs. This way it looks like a crossbreed between "held" weapons and bodyparts).
15- finishing details on weapons with either tinbitz or shining gold/burnished gold
16- Painting the tongues with dark angels green (acid maws get two more layers of lighter greens for highlighting)
17- Using a little flesh wash (only got one left....hope it will last for the rest of the army for it is no longer available but far superior to the new washes) on the teethridge to make it look less clean.
18- giving the carapaces a full treatment with 'ardcoat, drybrush the bodies with 'ardcoat. (I used to use the satin varnish spray but some day GW changed something with the mixture and i ruined six full painted minis. Since then i only use varnish that can be applied with a brush)
19- Painting the rim of the base with khemri brown.

Ok, that...that's quite a long workflow.....i don't advice to use something like this for a 5000 points army, because you might, like me, take forever to get the bugs painted:))

Have fun

PS: I love this thread btw...NIDS for the win...
Hive Fleet Nyarlathotep

Offline GaleRazorwind

• Hormagaunt
  • Ziltoid Lives!
« Reply #78 on: July 1, 2009, 09:34:52 PM »
^You have some really awesome looking bugs. Much more work than I would ever be willing or able to do, but my simple paint scheme is very effective, still looks awesome on the battlefield, and every Minnesotan LOVES the theme. It is so fun to watch people's reactions when I tell them I play Hive Fleet Box Elder Bug. There are usually two different reactions. The first kind is where they immediately crack up with laughter, and the second kind (and my favorite) is a slow dawning reaction. You can see them think about it, then slowly their face changes from thinking about it to smiles and laughter. Priceless 8)

Offline Eugee

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #79 on: July 2, 2009, 12:54:29 AM »
This thread is full of win. makes me want to go trawling through ebay auctions to land a nice big swarm of gribblies all of my own.

I definitely wouldn't fancy all the painting though. Might have to resort to dipping the little blighters.

Psst.  Mine are dips.

Pre-dip warriors (excuse the glare):

Post-dip, pre-matte finish warriors:

Then see the full-size of the army shot to see the finished product.  :)