News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: anyone read stuff by hickman and weiss?  (Read 2288 times)

Offline Zeddicus

• Blah Blah Blah
anyone read stuff by hickman and weiss?
« on: January 22, 2002, 07:54:09 PM »
I read the Dragonlance Chronicles trilogy long ago, and just started reading the Deathgate Cycle.  I'm on the second book where they introduce the character Zifnab...who is Fizban?  This seems very clever to me.  Anyone else read these books?
"But why did I have the bowl, Bart?  Why did I have the bowl...?"

Offline fusion corsair

Re:anyone read stuff by hickman and weiss?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2002, 09:53:21 PM »
yea i read the original dragon lance and thought they were the best books eve. Then i read the deathgate cycle and thought THEY were the greatest boks ever, and both are still high on my list. Im sorry but i cant remember the books that well, is zifnab the wandering magician....i seem to recall that there was one character from dragonlance in deathgate.

By the way does your nick bear any relation to the zedd from the sword of truth serries?

Offline Zeddicus

• Blah Blah Blah
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2002, 10:51:34 PM »
Indeed it does!  They happen to be my favourite books (sword of truth that is)...though the last one of the series wasnt that good.

Offline Pyro_00001

• Brother Captain of the Damned, Mr. Red | Veteran (really!)
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Scars are tattoos with better stories
  • Armies: Legion of the Damned
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2002, 11:46:14 PM »
I've got all of the books from all the series mentioned so far. I loved the deathgate cycle. You're still in the point where Haplo is a giant badass. The books get real heavy towards the 4-5 books.

Offline Alexander Falcorian

• Ancient
    • Eldaronline
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2002, 12:30:14 AM »
I did... But I didn't like there stuff.
Into the fires of battle, unto the anvil of war! - Salamander Chapter Battle Cry

The whole point of naval fighting is to be able to go anywhere with every damned thing the Navy possesses. - Captain Grenfeld of the Hammer of Justice

You might as well try to catch starlight as bring the Eldar to battle.

Offline fusion corsair

zedd
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2002, 10:15:39 AM »
Yea ive read all the sword of truth books and i have to agree they were some of the best books ive ever read until the last one came out. He totally left the original storyline to pursue some subplot that has no real bearing on the original tale. I personally think he did it for the money. He knows he has a best selling serries on his hands so hes going to cram as many books into it as he can. I just hope the next book is centred around our original heros.

Offline XpashaX

• Millenium Gate Moderator
    • Codex: Immael
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2002, 10:20:33 AM »
They are among my favorite authors.
Zifnab is Fizban, if you've read the Dragonlance Trilogys (I think there are two, though perhaps three?) then when you get further into the Deathgate series Zifnab begins relating the same stories he does as Fizban (Fireball, what a wonderfull spell...).

There is something about Hickman and Weiss that makes you feel like their current book your reading is the best book you have ever laid eyes upon.
"What can you say about a society that says that god is dead and Elvis is alive?" ~ Irv Kupcinet

Offline Zeddicus

• Blah Blah Blah
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2002, 12:36:01 PM »
Yeah, Haplo is cool.

I think it may have been for money...but it could also have been that he wanted to add in another main character.  The only characters we cared about were Zedd, Richard and Kahlan, and Cara...now theres Nicci and Jennsen from the last 2 books.  It better involve the main characters in the next book.

Yeah, I know that Fizban is Zifnab.  He is wearing the mouse-coloured robes and everything, and is still talking about his fireball spell.  When that elf guy asks what his name is he even says "Fiz...no, I  can't use that one."

Fizban is almost as cool as Zeddicus...I still love the end of that one book where he took the collar off as if it were some trinket.

Offline TheMightyPikachu

• Pi-Ka-Chu!
  • Ancient
  • The Mightiest
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2002, 09:34:55 PM »
And Fizban is paladine!
great books, the only things i can think of that match it are R.A. Salvatore Dark elf books, and the only thing greater, the beggining...

Lord Of The Rings
www.andylc.deviantart.com
did you know I can draw?

Offline Zeddicus

• Blah Blah Blah
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2002, 10:07:20 PM »
And my friend told me that Zifnab is apparently magic...which would be the same as Simkin from their other series the Darksword trilogy...they sure like their themes...

Offline Newpaintbrush

• "Gimme pipeweed"
Comment
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2002, 10:11:24 PM »
If you read the Dragonlance Chronicles, make sure you pick up the Twins Chronicles as well.  "Time of the Twins" is the first, I think - search on a bookstore database.

The Twins Trilogy happens right after the three Dragonlance Chronicles.  It's pretty good.  I won't give away any details.   ;)

Offline Wraithboss

• Most Potent of Geezers
  • Back from the dead, and ready to Party!
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2002, 10:11:15 AM »
Another Weis & Hickman Trilogy that I never hear about much is the Rose of The Prophet. I recommend it.

Oh, and if you like the dragonlance, you'll LOVE the Belgariad series, by David Eddings, and his Sparhawk books, which are even better! 8)

`Boss!
« Last Edit: January 24, 2002, 10:13:02 AM by Wraithboss »
" Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat."
                                    T. Roosevelt

Offline Pyro_00001

• Brother Captain of the Damned, Mr. Red | Veteran (really!)
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Scars are tattoos with better stories
  • Armies: Legion of the Damned
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2002, 01:40:16 PM »
The sparhawk books were really good, He's a pretty good author

Offline The Hive Custodian (Retired)

• Primojanitor Paragon
  • Ancient
  • Perfection Within; Perfection Without
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2002, 10:29:48 PM »
They are good.
Calculus is an art, but algebra is attrition.

Offline warwalker999

• add in bed to the end of ur fortune cookies ;)
    • my freakin good site(it will blow you away)[not really]
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2002, 09:48:21 PM »
ya, good times, errr... good books. well im on spring dawning , its good, well dont ruin anything for peeps like me. i like the occasional graphic, bloody detail of some battles. like the decapitation and impaling in the first chap. of autumn twilight. well its all good GO PALADINE!!! i wish that Sturm hadn't died.  :'( ,
Are your base are belong to me!!!

Offline Okoskinen

• Yep. I'm a walrus. Behold the power of Perkele!
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2002, 10:48:48 AM »
I'm sorry. I thought I jsut saw a sentence with the words "Eddings" and "good" in it..

I did, I did!

Yeah, sure they are readable. They have some entertainment value to them. But when the entertainment is the same crap for 16 books, it starts to get a *BIT* boring.

"Hey, look at that. A blue gem/rose which we need to take out the evil enemy.
Come on gang. You merchant. You warrior. You mage. You comic relief. You just for kicks.
Lets go and and be witty all the way!"

It was ok with the first 5 parts (Story of Belgarion) but after that, his brightest idea was to... to... oh yeah. Rinse and repeat. Got a tad boring, I'll say again.

I'll add in a line her for R.A Salvatore, too.

Get an imagination. He doesnt repeat himself as boldly and inexpertly as Eddings, but he also has a bit boring and unimaginative ideas. Now, in my counts, Bruenor has died. Wulfgar has died. Drizzt has died. If Regis or Catti-brie wont die in the next book or two, I'll be amazed.
Propably I wont, since he has to make Wulfgar the same jolly barbarian, and I think Catti-brie's death might just do the - oh so convenient - trick for him.

Sorry all, really. Those two just happen to be on top of my list of not-favourites.
Anyhow.

Weis and Hickman books sure do kickass.
I started reading with that "Dragons of autumn twilight"
and been reading ever since.

Personally, I liked the Twins Chronicle a lot. Also the new parts which revolve around Raistlin and Caramon's younger days, nice. Lots of things are cleared a bit better there.

The new, Deathgate series, had good parts in the beginning, but somehow didnt strike me as good as the "original" ones. I dunno, I guess its just me then :)

I do like the general idea of it, though. Teaching them mercy, but "accidentally" making them go through hell. All goody two shoes being corupt as hell. The snakes thrown in to mix the soup. Nice touch there.
Invincible.

Offline Tuisich-Anastari

• Raven Lord of the Alfheim Craftworld
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2002, 11:00:42 PM »
the deathgate cycle is incredible.  i highly recommend george r.r. martin's currently ongoing series.  the first one is called "a game of thrones."  the book is just incredible.  the politics, the battles, the characters.  
"A careful study of the Bible would convince many people that it is a very different
book than they assume it to be." --Loraine Boettner, The Reformed Doctrine Of Predestination

This post is dedicated to all those who never have a post dedicated to them.