News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders!  (Read 63624 times)

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Re: Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders!
« Reply #360 on: August 11, 2017, 08:18:39 PM »
Thanks dude! You flatter me :)

They say that everyone has one novel in them, but I'm fairly certain mine's chopped up into a hundred thousand little fluff snippets ;) luckily that suits 40k quite nicely though :)

There is a little bit of a direction I'm going with all the little snippets, shared with my non-Eldar dudes. Basically there's a crescent-shaped sector of desert-worlds human's call 'Salazar's Scar'. It's highly unlikely that every habitable world in a sector would be a desert world, but it's because Nurgle used to reign there and that's what happens when you drive Nurgle out (Nurgle is a god of life after all). Each of the updates are eventually leading to Nurgle beginning to come back to claim his throne. Just need to get the models done that move that forwards!
Check out my Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders :)

Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders!

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #361 on: August 14, 2017, 07:28:44 PM »

"No," the figure explained patiently, "you misunderstand. I hold no formal title. There is no governance or rulership among us Outcasts. 'The Nomad Prince' is little more than an epithet. Still, I suppose I am as close to a figurehead for my people as we have, if only due to provenance."

I hear that his house were once exodites, fleeing the Old Empire.

I hear they became lost along the way. Not physically lost, but 'lost' as a state of mind. They have been wandering ever since.

The Nomad Prince? Vainglorious navel-gazer. Does little more than tempt away the young and naive with fabulous myths of exploration. There is nought but a lonely death awaiting the Eldar out among the stars. I half expect that come the Rhana Dandra he'd spend his time philosophising rather than pick up his spear to fight.

Have you never stopped to wonder about this place? Why this particular reach of the webway is filled with sand? It's not sand, cousin, it's glass. You stand amid the ruins of Karaehe, the great glittering city. Miles upon miles of transparent towers, wondrous to behold. Shattered and ground to dust by the fell energies of the Fall.

You can still find bones in the sand, if you look.

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
« Reply #362 on: August 15, 2017, 03:11:05 AM »
Tremendous Ynnead. The paint work is so befitting the style of your models. The influences of John Blanche really shine through on this particular model.

Great work bud!
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 03:18:02 AM by Looshkin »
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #363 on: August 15, 2017, 06:08:07 AM »
Thanks a ton Loosh! Really glad you like him :) I feel like I'm really getting the hang of weathering now, so wanted to see how far I could take it. It's actually a lot easier than I'd thought, both for the heavy stuff and lighter stuff too. It's sort of a bit like reverse-highlighting, but purposefully rough and slipshod. Orders of magnitude easier than edge-highlighting :)

Oh, and something I forgot to mention. Since the Croneworlder one winged Vampire-Lord guy I've been looking to Fantasy for characters to mirror in the 40k universe, with a suitable grimdark twist. A lot of named characters in Fantasy have been changed into generic up-spec characters in the jump to AoS. This guy is based on the Fantasy Araloth, who in AoS has been turned into a character called a 'Nomad Prince'.

I've used bits of his kit in my Nomad Prince, and tried to mirror the pose with more Eldar bits as well. He's also called 'Araloth of the hooked Blade', so I thought it would be fitting to replace his eagle with the hooked claw I had spare from the Tenebrael Shard kit (especially as it mimicked the pose).

Lastly, the background for Araloth is that he was a bit of a coward until he came across an elf maiden being assaulted by a Slaaneshi daemon. He slew the daemon, and the maiden revealed herself as Lileath, stating she had a plan for him. Since then, he's been the bravest and most untiring champion of the wood elves.

In the universe of 40k...Lileath is dead. The Nomad Prince never had his pivotal moment. A lifetime of wandering as an outcast has expunged his cowardice by necessity, but he never developed the untiring desire to fight for his people. He simply wanders his own path through the ashes of his civilisation, earning the disdain of the warlike Angvai (who are quoted above).
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 06:09:45 AM by Ynneadwraith »

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #364 on: August 15, 2017, 09:05:28 AM »
Niiiice. Really dig that model. All the bits are really well blended... You should submit on GW's FLICKR account. I wouldn't be surprised to see of this stuff featured. You may even make WD.

Love the backstory too! I wish the Eldar fluff (and novels) was more bleak... because I dont think they really capture the loss that should be inherent to the Eldar.

Anyway great stuff man. Keep it up  8)
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #365 on: August 15, 2017, 05:12:08 PM »
you need to do an army wide shot, all that's got to look amazing on the battlefield :)

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #366 on: August 15, 2017, 07:24:53 PM »
Thanks Cav :) that's a brilliant idea!

I'm with you on the bleakness front. They went through a similar civilisation-rending event to the Imperium...except the Eldar lost.

It's perfectly reasonable for the Eldar to have carved out their survival, and for some to have thrived even, but it's always worth grounding that with the fact that their entire civilisation is in ruins.

I'll see what I can get on the army-shot front :) someone on dakka asked for a bit of a retrospective of where all the warbands are at which might help scratch that itch slightly ;)

True Kin:

Wych Coven:

Exodites (of the INQ28 variety):

Ynnari:

Croneworlders:

Malari:

Outcasts:

Things that Go Bump in the Night:

Of those, none of them are really finished. I want to expand on my Kabal a little (they're basically jumped up street thugs who have just started calling themselves a Kabal, so some sort of Hellion Militia would be cool). I've got at least one more bio-engineered Wych nearly finished as I want to go a little further into the multi-limbed thing. My exodites will be revisited soon hopefully to make some more characterful rank and file dudes (probably using some of my Hunters, and some war beasts). The Ynnari need two more cultists for that warband to be up to strength, and I think I might try another (related) Ynnari Cult with a similar palette but different motivations. The Croneworlders are probably as close to being finished as any of them, although I've been dying to make a daemon prince from a Verminlord). The Malari will be getting quite a few more members, and I've actually weathered them up a little more as it didn't seem right that they looked clean next to my Outcasts. The Outcasts I'm not sure as I think they're up to strength now. Perhaps a pack-mule War Walker at some point?. Lastly, the Webway Predators I've got at least two ideas that I really, really want to make (just because I have a thing about doing villains right).

Oh, and I need some craftworlders too! I've got fluff written and ideas formed, just need to make some models and/or paint them (my Storm Guardians are the first lot). As the models are a little hard to make creepy/grimdark I've sort of gone a bit hard with the fluff to make up for that ;)

I'll grab a pic of my Corsairs as they stand as well. My plans for them I'm not sure actually. I think I want to make a 'listening cell' of 5 or so models to represent what the intelligence-gathering organisation of the Khaine's Ravens is like, while the red-and-gold main army force is representative of the punative military forces of the Ravens that they use if anyone tries to mess with their intelligence operations. The 5 lower-level Corsair mercs will be getting paint as soon as I've worked out what colours they should be...

I do also have some other vague ideas for other groups of Outcasts as it's such a varied thing to explore, and a few neat ideas for something to do with Biel-Tan being fractured (two ways I could go with that: battered and worn refugees and/or vengeful nomad fleet like if the Quarians from Mass Effect were xenocidal warmongerers). Someone also mentioned that it would be a damn sweet idea to try and make some craftworld citizens, but in the usual was of bending them to be slightly more grimdark and alien than you'd expect from your usual interpretation of Eldar.

Oh! Harlequins. Forgot about those. I've got three painted and the rest of a squad modelled, but haven't touched them in a while. I must admit, Harlequins are the ones that I've found hardest to do something weird with. I quite like the idea of them as sort of lone emissaries, trusted by Eldar (potentially in error) and thoroughly manipulative even by Eldar standards. Not quite sure how best to work that into a model though...

Lastly, I really want to try my hand at some Saim Hann dudes. It was the Wild Riders that really got me into Eldar all those years ago, and I still have a soft spot for them. I've just ordered some greenstuff so will be using them as a testbed to work out how to sculpt fur ruffs and things like that :) plus, them being red fits in with the whole group palette nicely :)

tl;dr I feel like I've come quite a way, but there's still veritable fathoms of depth to the Eldar that I haven't yet plumbed, and I'm determined to make them every bit as varied, detailed and nuanced as the Imperium ;) no rest for the wicked!

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #367 on: August 17, 2017, 08:03:12 AM »
Looking awesome Ynnead. Great collection you've got going. Super unique... like I said you should definitley submit this to the GW Flickr, I think they'd love it.

As I've said previously I really like the DE wing of your collection. That color scheme is just sick.

Also if you wanted to do CW Eldar I don't think you'd have to change much in your approach. I'd just keep the bodies and helmets normal, hit them with your ghostly paint scheme and just give them a few odds and ends in terms of bits and you should be good to go. I think you could accomplish a lot with bits alone.

Lastly, about Saim-Hann, doing those fur cloaks is super easy! I've done it on a number of models and I'm really happy with how it came out. I'm sure you'd breeze through it.

Anyway great stuff Ynnead. I'd love to see a mean army arise from this collection one day. Keep at it!

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline SeekingOne

• Exarch
  • May Hoeth guide our ways...
  • Armies: Eldar (Saim-Hann), Space Wolves
« Reply #368 on: August 17, 2017, 02:04:19 PM »
This is so Yhwh-condemned awesome. Can't really add much to what I already said in this thread - but you know what I mean Ynnead ;)
I fight against Chaos and for Order, because it means fighting for Life against Death. There is no other battle truly worth fighting.

"If it's not for a tournament then play whatever it is that you like. Without the pressure of having to utterly destroy your opponent it opens up alot more opportunity to have fun." - Lazarus

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #369 on: August 17, 2017, 06:45:55 PM »
Thanks guys! Glad you like them SeekingOne :)

I've begun the process of uploading stuff to a freshly created Flickr account :) you can find it here if you're interested in higher res stuff to show off all my paint flaws ;) https://www.flickr.com/photos/150838680@N07/

Wondering on the best way to put in my little fluff snippets. One per pic? Might need to write some more...

I really like the DEldar colours too :) lovely scheme to paint actually. I must add some more to them actually :) I definitely need to have a crack at making some Hellion militia for them. I envisage the Kabalites pictured as the upper echelons of a large mob of street thugs. Need to start making some!

Army-wise, I was thinking that it would be cool for each of these little warbands to have an army backing them up/pulling their strings (even if it starts off as only 500pts each). Sort of how the real-world West/East fought their Cold War by arming militants in developing countries and using them to fight their wars on their behalf. So, we've got these groups with more powerful factions pushing them along like so:

Outcasts -> Craftworld Angvellaith
TBC Khaine's Ravens Listening Cell -> Khaine's Ravens proper
Ynnari Cult -> TBC Ynnari warlord
Wych -> Kabalites (or the other way around?)
Exodite hunting party -> Exodite army
Croneworlders -> Slaaneshi daemon army
Malari -> Nurgle daemon army

That's the latest rambling thoughts on anything resembling a grand plan at least ;)

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #370 on: August 21, 2017, 05:31:02 AM »
Well, I spent this weekend doing a bit of a redux of all my old models :) after the weathering on my Outcasts, everyone else was looking a little...pristine which just won't do. It'll probably be completely unnoticeable in pictures, but they look much improved in the wraithbone, so to speak ;)

Warning, this will probably be a bit image-heavy...

I also found some time to go and do a little touch-up on my Corsairs. Again, probably not really noticeable but a little weathering on the reds and golds, some deeper washes on the coats and some drybrushing and a heavy nuln oil wash on the feathers.

My two squads of Reavers are up next for a little weathering then my Malevolents, and there's another two squads, another Baron and 5 Balestrikes awaiting paint. If they don't have rules as of 8th I don't really care. The 7th Corsair codex was a masterpiece, so I'll just keep going on as if it's coming back...

I also had the idea to try the technique for weathering (basically the same as a rough drybrushed edge-highlight, but using a darker colour rather than a lighter one, and working upwards) with Blood for the Blood God on my Dark Eldar. I was originally thinking that it might be too much blood...but then I thought this is the Dark Eldar we're talking about. 'Too much blood' probably doesn't register anywhere near their concerns...

Last, but by no means least, are my exodites :) again, just a little weathering to make the bone look a little older and the cloth a little dirtier. Reminded me just how damn proud of these I am :) it's also given me a little inspiration of how to move forward with these guys as a warband a little, so expect a couple more updates in future!

Offline colinsherlow

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #371 on: August 21, 2017, 11:53:15 AM »
That lord with the horns is really cool. How did you make that lovely fella?

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #372 on: August 21, 2017, 12:05:50 PM »
Thanks dude :) i actually did a step-by-step for him back on page 10, but as a synopsis he's mostly Visarch with a leg, arms and head of Sylvaneth Tree Revenants, horns from the Wild Rider stags and a whole host of little gribblies from the Treelord kit :)

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #373 on: August 22, 2017, 08:01:13 AM »
Sorry Ynnead, I can't really tell the difference. They look great as ever though, and its awesome to see so many of your models together in a single post. They look phenomenal all the same. Good for you to touch them up, I love doing that myself  ;D

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #374 on: August 22, 2017, 08:52:38 AM »
Haha no worries ;) most of them don't really come across in pictures at all, but they look that little more textured when you're holding them in your hand. Still pretty subtle though. The only ones with any big changes are the DEldar.

Oh, and i'm midway through your batrep but keep getting interrupted! Seems like you're kicking backside so far ;)

Last update from the spate of updating so far. Improved Thaegr with the same trick I used on the Hedge-Witch Maegwen of replacing the Glade Guard lower legs with Guardian legs to get him the proper height. It's also had the happy coincidence of fixing his pose slightly. Previously from some angles it looked like he was overbalancing and about to fall backwards, but not any more :)

Sadly, it's also come along with a demotion. He's no longer an Exodite Lord, but a warrior in Raodruin's retinue. However, that's freed me up somewhat to do some more exodite warriors to a similar level as him so expect some soon :)

Thaegr, Hart-Thorn, Son of Kurnous. Hound of the Hunt.

The great horned xeno looked down upon the emperor's faithful. Its form looked familiar enough to pass for human under the vastly expanded meaning used in the 41st millennium. It was the eyes that gave it away. No human had eyes like that. Staring into them, the guard realised just how alien the Eldar truly were.

"Long have we tolerated your presence in this place," the merciless creature toned. "Hunting your kind has proved remarkably enjoyable sport through the years. However, yet again your ignorance has provided the conduit for the Plaguefather to access our worlds. Regrettably, our sport must come to an end. Your presence here has outlived its entertainment."

I've also come up with a little fluff for Raodruin, playing on the idea of him being a Soul Drinker (a forgotten Eldar practice of consuming the souls of murder victims to replenish your vitality and increase your power), and a little of the ideas I've had for what precisely happens when you murder a race's warp-gods.

With no small amount of difficulty these days, Raodruin called up one of the souls of his victims from the hazy miasma swirling within him. Old, clouded, befuddled thing. One of his earliest hunts. Before the Fall, even. From what his own ruminating thought processes could decipher, the ancient murdered soul had once been somewhat of an expert in the matters of warp-Gods. Not that its word could be trusted. It was older than he was, and had experienced the slow gradual decline into general confusion that afflicted all stored souls of the Eldar.

From what he could understand of the incoherant ramblings, the hooks that bound warp-Gods to their mortals appeared to travel in both directions. Warp-Gods were reflections of the beings which created them, but they also embodied aspects of them. Remove one, and the hooks would leave ragged wounds in the consciousness of a race. They knew. Apparently the Eldar had tried it a few times on some of the vermin-species. It was amusing, in a way. Like breaking a wheel off a clockwork toy so it could only spin in circles.

Raodruin thought he could hazily remember himself, if remember was even the right word. He wasn't sure how many of his memories were his own and how many were the accreted thoughts of his victims bleeding through into his consciousness. The moment his Gods died, so had parts of his soul and the soul of every other Eldar in perpetuity. It had been horrendously painful on a level only a soul could feel. Yet, it was impossible to quantify what had been lost. In what way they were broken. Conspicuous only in its comparative absence. It was as if you were a spider, and some higher being had removed all but three of your legs. You hadn't the capacity to understand what had happened, nor the slightest possibility of regaining what was lost. All you knew is that you were struggling to escape, unstable and skittering desperately away. That's what the Eldar were now. Three-legged spiders scrabbling around among the other insects of the galaxy. There were Eldar for generations who had never even known they were missing something. Never known what might and majesty their collective soul was lacking.

Ynnead, however, proved intriguing. Could it be possible to replace what most could not see was missing? Did Raodruin even want whatever this...dead god...offered to plug the gap? Provided that was even the mechanism by which it functioned. On that matter the poor faded soul was no use whatsoever. Either that or he wasn't able to comprehend what it was saying with his own addled mind.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 08:14:24 PM by Ynneadwraith »

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #375 on: August 25, 2017, 08:05:13 PM »
I originally planned to get my Storm Guardians painted, but the exodite bug's bitten me again...

Nuadhuin, Wrothspear, Son of Kurnous. Hound of the Hunt.

All Eldar, by dint of their heightened experience of the world, are vulnerable to the harrowing effects of warfare. The warriors of each eldar fragment must deal with this each time they descend into battle. Through meditative training and psychological dissociation, the Craftworld Eldar construct a 'War Mask' that can be donned and shed at will. The Dark Eldar revel in the slaughter, and need no protection. The Exodites, through wild rituals and psychotropic drugs descend into an animalistic state, embodying the feral predators that stalk their worlds. Their battles aren't fought like the careful orchestras of tacticians, or the grinding stalemates of attrition. Theirs is a feral fury, and a cunning borne of intelligent minds put to predatory purposes.

Once to awaken the wolves of Kurnous
Twice to sharpen the blade
Thrice to hearken the hunt to us
Where bloody murder be made

I've also come up with a bit of an idea for a 500pt (490pt) army for these (with models doing double-duty as INQ28 warbands and a 40k army). These Hounds of the Hunt will be counts-as Striking Scorpions. Raodruin will be a counts-as Visarch. Then I've got two squads of Hunters/Kabalites with Blasters, a squad of Howling Banshees and two Clawed Fiends (wait 'til you see what I've done for them!).

Might take a while if each model is as heavily converted as these guys, but 500pts isn't a terribly lofty goal so hopefully not too long :)

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
« Reply #376 on: August 26, 2017, 01:44:08 AM »
Holy cow. So much to see. It all looks so great.
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #377 on: August 26, 2017, 04:34:08 AM »
Thanks dude! Glad you like them :)

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
« Reply #378 on: August 26, 2017, 08:01:27 AM »
Awesome work Ynnead! That Nuadhuin is brilliant. Love it.
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #379 on: August 26, 2017, 08:29:36 AM »
NIIIICE. Love that spear guy! Killer posing there Ynnead. Also YES! Finally a list appears! Thats what I want to hear  ;D ;D ;D Sounds like a great place to start... you could easily bulk out by just picking up a couple of Venoms or Raiders for your dudes too and you'd be real close a 1000pts. Awesome!

I'd also try and hit people up for games of Necromunda (or whatever they renamed it). I'm sure you'd have a blast with that too.

Great stuff Ynnead! Can't wait to see how your collection shapes up into fighting form!  ;D