News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Killersquid's Projects  (Read 74045 times)

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
Re: Killersquid's Projects (mostly Iron Warriors these days)
« Reply #220 on: May 1, 2017, 09:20:03 PM »
Came upon a whole bunch of new models for my bloodhound army.

40 bloodreavers, 1 korgoroth, 10 blood Warriors, 1 of each character from the starter box and 5 wraithmongers.

Starting with the wraithmongers, as they are all stars in game. After that, 20 blood reavers and then the korgoroth.

Ordered the blades of khorne book, so depending on if I have the models to build any of the Battalions, I might change my painting order lol.

So excited to play more Age of Sigmar.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Orks, Chaos Space Marines, Eldar, Dark Eldar
« Reply #221 on: May 1, 2017, 10:18:24 PM »
Looking deadly Killersquid. Those are some great looking models. I'm really looking forward to seeing you get some paint on these. I'm surprised to see basing on the model before paint. It's something that I've noticed Cavalier does as well. I'm always one to base after a paint job, as I get extremely frustrated when I get paint on my basing material.
« Last Edit: May 2, 2017, 08:36:22 AM by dog_of_war »

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #222 on: May 1, 2017, 11:37:25 PM »
Killersquid:
Niiiiice! Are their rules as mean as they look?

Dog of War:
I base first as well. Don't have to be as gentle with the dry brushing if not having to avoid a painted model.

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
« Reply #223 on: May 2, 2017, 08:15:14 AM »
Looking deadly Killersquid. Those are some great looking models. I'm really looking forward to seeing you get some paint on these. I'm surprised to see basing on the model before paint. It's something that I've noticed Cavalier does as well. I've always one to base after a paint job, as I get extremely frustrated when I get paint on my basing material.

I like top sand the model first, as my basing needs to be basecoated black, so might as well do that while priming the model too. I find the primer helps the sand stay on the base.

Killersquid:
Niiiiice! Are their rules as mean as they look?

Dog of War:
I base first as well. Don't have to be as gentle with the dry brushing if not having to avoid a painted model.

Yes, they are really cool in game. Give out +1 aura and force your opponent to attack themselves when they die. and they have 4 rend -1 attacks each and 3 wounds a pop.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
« Reply #224 on: May 3, 2017, 12:47:36 AM »
Those are gonna be killer. I'm so glad to hear you like AOS so this 40k change should be good for you.
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword

• Ancient
Re: Killersquid's Projects : Talons of the Emperor
« Reply #225 on: August 3, 2017, 12:28:00 PM »
So, picked up the Talons of the Emperor Box, so starting on a new army.

What I have so far is

2 squads of Custodes
1 squad of sisters of silence
2 contemptor dreads
1 land raider
Rhino

Time to get building.

Here is what I have so far.

And, for fun, a size comparison of a Mk5 Marine, Primaris Marine, and an Adeptus Custodes. These guys are huge!

Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #226 on: August 4, 2017, 02:16:29 PM »
Nice. Definitely getting a nice little detachment of these dudes in the future.

How you gonna paint them? Retributor Primer? Its a slightly different shade then the pot. But you can literally do a 5 second dry brush and it'll blend perfect.
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

• Ancient
« Reply #227 on: August 6, 2017, 08:55:18 AM »
I can't get the primer, as it's not available for online shopping for me, so I'll need to paint them by hand. I am pretty much out of gold paints, so I will probably do the Retribtor/agrax/sigmartie/stormhost silver deal.

Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
« Reply #228 on: August 6, 2017, 03:46:26 PM »
I can't get the primer, as it's not available for online shopping for me, so I'll need to paint them by hand. I am pretty much out of gold paints, so I will probably do the Retribtor/agrax/sigmartie/stormhost silver deal.

Ugh, such a shame that you can't get the spray. That'll be a lot of extra work...but the recipe you're using is superb for golds. These guys and gals should look superb.
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

• Ancient
« Reply #229 on: August 15, 2017, 08:00:56 PM »
So, my paints finally arrived, so stuff is starting to get gold.

Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Orks, Chaos Space Marines, Eldar, Dark Eldar
« Reply #230 on: August 15, 2017, 10:43:01 PM »
Ooooo, shiny! Looking great KS. I'd love to see some step-by-step colour applications to see how they progress. Maybe just one shot with a model per step. Keep up the hard work.

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #231 on: August 16, 2017, 08:02:28 AM »
Nice! You really banged that out considering its all brush work. My one recomendation... don't highlight with Stormhost Silver! Re-highlighting with Retributor after all the washes is usually all you need to do. Use a little Liberator if the model is screaming out for a proper highlight in a given area. Let the gold do its thing without the silver!

Thats just me though. I'm sure it'll come out great either way. Good luck KS can't wait to read some bat-reps too  ;D

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

• Ancient
Re: Killersquid\'s Projects : Talons of the Emperor
« Reply #232 on: August 16, 2017, 08:55:55 AM »

Turns out these models have a lot of detail on them. Gonna take a while to get them finished.

Nice! You really banged that out considering its all brush work. My one recomendation... don't highlight with Stormhost Silver! Re-highlighting with Retributor after all the washes is usually all you need to do. Use a little Liberator if the model is screaming out for a proper highlight in a given area. Let the gold do its thing without the silver!

Thats just me though. I'm sure it'll come out great either way. Good luck KS can't wait to read some bat-reps too  ;D

Hmm, I do like silver highlights on gold though, but that's just me (as a spot colour more then anything else).

Ooooo, shiny! Looking great KS. I'd love to see some step-by-step colour applications to see how they progress. Maybe just one shot with a model per step. Keep up the hard work.

Here is the first dude I am working on (on the left)

Basecoat with two thinned coats of Retributor Gold, wash with Riekland Fleshshade, and then another layer of Alric Gold (on raised parts).

Gotta get me some Liberator gold for the next highlight (I forgot it as part of my order).

« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 10:11:48 AM by Killersquid »
Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria

Offline angel of death 007

• Dreadbash Warboss | KoN Veteran
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #233 on: August 19, 2017, 10:46:50 AM »
KS,

I must say you do a lot of excellent work on your models.   I am just wondering with the amount of paint and the detail you do on your models how long does it take you to paint say a typical 10 man squad to that level?

I have so many painting projects and even with taking a week off of work putting out a 10 man unit of anything would take me forever and doubtful i would get it done.

Just wondering how you have the time especially when you mentioned you work?

Great work on everything and I hope your painting motivates me to complete some of my own.

• Ancient
« Reply #234 on: August 21, 2017, 07:36:36 PM »
KS,

I must say you do a lot of excellent work on your models.   I am just wondering with the amount of paint and the detail you do on your models how long does it take you to paint say a typical 10 man squad to that level?

I have so many painting projects and even with taking a week off of work putting out a 10 man unit of anything would take me forever and doubtful i would get it done.

Just wondering how you have the time especially when you mentioned you work?

Great work on everything and I hope your painting motivates me to complete some of my own.

Hey, I was away all weekend at a tournament in Ottawa. So, I have not had much of a chance for any painting.

I find the first model I paint takes a while, but then I batch paint the rest and it goes by quickly.

Infantry models I can probably finish in 2-3 hours.

But, I batch paint so it takes individually longer, but as a whole shorter.

I can probably paint a full squad in a week or two (depending on work and what else I am doing).

I usually spend time on my days off painting, and I paint one or two hours a night before bed. Setting aside an hour a night to paint is a great way to chip at projects. ( and often leads to more than an hour).

I also watch TV shows while

It's a bad photo, but here is the first custodes now.

Not sure what to do for basing. Might pick up the GW urban bases, or the shattered earth bases to use.

Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #235 on: August 22, 2017, 07:59:51 AM »
WOW! Looks super super good KS. I love those blue gems... sickening spot color choice. The gold looks phenomenal as well. Love it! Keep rocking I can't wait to see this army finished!

• Ancient
« Reply #236 on: August 22, 2017, 12:13:34 PM »
WOW! Looks super super good KS. I love those blue gems... sickening spot color choice. The gold looks phenomenal as well. Love it! Keep rocking I can't wait to see this army finished!

Thanks bud! I am still not sure what to do for the base, but I'll worry on finishing all the models first. Then I'll probably pop them all off the bases and do those separately.

I worked on the first squad a bit more this morning before work, and last night before bed.

here they are so far.

Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #237 on: August 22, 2017, 08:35:13 PM »
Looks great mate.

Is it just me or have these guys been taking fashion tips from CWE ;)

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #238 on: August 23, 2017, 08:08:31 AM »
Wow... SO nice KS. Absolutley love the work you've done with the gold. It looks real! Usually not a fan of the lighting bolts on power weapons but you absolutley killed it, and it looks fantastic.

Damn dude I've missed seeing your painting projects. Killing it as always. Keep it up

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #239 on: September 3, 2017, 07:40:01 PM »
Doing well KS!
Have had a squiz at all your posts that I've missed and they look Micky Mouse. The gold is not easy to apply flat, and those blue gems?...Niiiiice! Have also zoomed in on the non-helmet guy, and you've done a great job on his face... Pointy ears forever!!