News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Poll

Which Tyranid do you think is the most powerful?

Carnifex
2 (6.1%)
Zoanthrope
3 (9.1%)
Hive Tyrant
7 (21.2%)
Old One Eye
17 (51.5%)
Red Terror
2 (6.1%)
Lictor
2 (6.1%)

Total Members Voted: 30

Author Topic: The Most Powerful Unit?  (Read 3890 times)

Offline McDiz

• I don't like Linkin Park anymore. :[
The Most Powerful Unit?
« on: July 12, 2002, 11:09:31 PM »
I think it is Old One Eye because he is like a more powerful Carnifex, and they are scary! :'( :-[

[shadow=red,left,300]PaPaNaRf[/shadow]
Flash that buttery gold, jittery zeitgeist
Wither by the watering hole, water patrol
What are we, a heart huckabee, art beslubberery suddenly?
Not enough young in his lung for the water wings?

Offline Seer Tyhalandras

• Ambassador of the Mon Faroth CraftWorld
Re:The Most Powerful Unit?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2002, 03:39:10 AM »
Think of a big scary  carnifex with bionics that regains one lost wound every turn, gets d6 plus 2 attacks incombat when charging and has really nasty breath and then you'll have old one eye. ;D
Hive Fleet Necrosis = 6000ish Pts
Mon-Faroth Craftworld = 5000ish Pts
Deathwing = 2000ish Pts

Offline Arcas

• Aksho Tzeeneth Phaos
  • Ancient
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2002, 10:25:01 AM »
I think it's the red terror, because he has a chance to ignore my shadow field...and recently one of my friends managed to kill my Archon this way.

jwu

Offline Errgin

• Fear the Reaper.
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2002, 01:24:19 PM »
Well for one model, the Red Terror.  But the scariest squad has to be the Warriors.
We dare not risk another frontal assault, that rabbit's dynamite!

Lord Grant me the Strength to Change what I can, the Courage to accept what I can't, and the Wisdom to know the difference.

Offline RedTwo

• Conversion Exarch
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2002, 03:30:17 PM »
Well, the true strength of Tyranids is in the SWARM.  Whats scary is LARGE numbers of nasty creatures overwhelming you with sheer numbers.

It's true that Old One Eye is a big, nasty critter.  A winged Hive Tryant with 4 scything talons and bioplasma can be nasty too.  But neither can compare to the hoards of gaunts and genestealers that make up the swarm.

However, this poll is considering just one creature, so I'm putting my vote in for Old One Eye.
Over specialization builds in weakness.

Offline Lord of Fire

• Well so much for not having a picture..
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2002, 03:53:10 PM »
Im with redtwo, the 'nids true strength is in their overwhelming numbers. Whats more scary, Old one eye, or 24 genestealers screened by 15 hormagaunts screened by 20 termagaunts?
Mess with the best, and die with the rest.

Offline Rogue_Phoenix

• ##Censored##
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2002, 06:25:02 PM »
Old one eye is the most nasty single creature. But as others have said 'nids power is in swarms. My army has 60 hormies with toxin sacs. They are very powerfull in CC and I have 60 of them!

Offline Jackdaw

• The jackdaw crowed before fleeing into the sky.
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2002, 07:18:10 PM »
But, Lord of Fire, you're forgetting that Tyranids cannot be screened, due to the "Shoot the Big Ones" rule.
BTW, I believe out of those given, a Hive Tyrant with wings, two sets of scything talons, bio-plamsa, toxin sacs, two sets of adrenal glandsn and extended carapace is nothing short of nasty.

Happy Trails.
Follow me, fading underneath the mist of hate,
Follow me, take my blood stained hand,
Where we can roam among the fields of time,
Finally free, follow me...

Offline MrMischief

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2002, 09:12:20 AM »
I Had an Old One Eye, but he always got his ass kicked, just becuz people concentrated fire on him so he died. i made him into a carnifex without the Crabclaws and some 1 took the claws off my hands and mand a tyrant with crab claws, witch is the scariest model i have ever seen. i use my Zoantheropes and they eat marines for breakfast and tanks for lunch. Every 1 hates my zoantheropes CUZ THEY ALWAYS OWN THE GAME
"Knowlage pursues me, But I am faster"

Offline Jackdaw

• The jackdaw crowed before fleeing into the sky.
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2002, 02:07:53 AM »
Of course, that the downside with taking special characters (I never use them). They're well renowned and, for that reason, will attract bullets like a magnet. The Hive Tyrant is completely customable and, while it will also attract fire, with the right biomorphs, it'll survive longer than Ol' One Eye.

Happy Trails.
Follow me, fading underneath the mist of hate,
Follow me, take my blood stained hand,
Where we can roam among the fields of time,
Finally free, follow me...

Offline Tycho

• BEEF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    • My 40k Site (still lots to to be done)
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2002, 08:38:29 AM »
i think  "Old One Eye"
"The Machine is strong. We must purge the weak, hated flesh and replace it with the blessed purity of metal. Only through permanence can we truly triumph, only through the Machine can we find victory. Punish the flesh. Iron in mind and body. Hail the Machine!"

Offline Kei'Ariq

• Ancient
  • Ariq rides again
    • Wych Cult of Spank Me!
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2002, 11:25:33 PM »
Having faced Old One Eye three times I have yet to lose anyone directly to it. Whilst he is a potentially scary unit if you have an adequate number of heavy weapons it is just as easy to take down as a regular Carnifex, provided you do it in one turn. He may get back up, but with one wound; that isn't that difficult to get rid of. The lack of a shooting weapon and the extra cost makes him less effective than a standard Carnifex in my opinion.

The Hive Tyrant is much scarier to my psycho pointy ears.

Offline Hivemind

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2002, 12:50:18 AM »
My vote would have to be for a Tyrant as well.  Take the tyrant that Perfect Dominatrix described and give it heightened senses (BS4) warp blast and psychic scream for good measure and you have a moblile model with a good ranged attack who can also clean up in assault as well.  OOE does very well in assault and his regeneration ability can annoy opponents, but he's not a complete package like a Tyrant can be.
The Tyranids are the most rapidly evolving race in the galaxy.  They are super-predators destined to hunt all others to extinction.

Offline Nids848

• I *Love* Farseer12!
    • Covshire- you all should come here, it's a cool group to join.
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2002, 08:13:52 PM »
my old one eye has never died. the ppl i play against are either to afraid to face it or the new ones will challenge him and get killed. he has taken out more then 40 tanks in about 10 games cuz my brother uses an armored company. just a couple days ago he won the whole game. it was the last round and we were playing capture the hill and there was a dreadknot up there and old one eye took it down no problem. nobody is afraid of anything else in my army except my old one eye. even though i have yet to feild my red terror or hive tyrant cuz i just bought them.  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D

Offline Antediluvian

• All ends have a new beginning...
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2002, 05:01:30 PM »
Good ol' one eye. He makes tanks look like balls of yarn and does great against marine sqauds. Note that it says he gains 1 wound at the start of every Tyranid turn so in large multyplayer games he has the potential to regain 2+ wounds. The Red Terror is good but is not the most powerful, being a comacozy unit. Uh no a hive tyrant properly equiped will not live as long as old one eye in the same conditions. The only reason why the hive tyrant would live longer is because they are not shooting at him! Final note, I have killed land raiders with the red terror!!!!

Offline Antediluvian

• All ends have a new beginning...
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2002, 07:14:07 PM »
this should be  on top

Offline Hivemind

« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2002, 01:52:46 AM »
You said it Antediluvian, a properly equipped Tyrant will NOT get shot.  Give him wings and he can move behind cover, then into assault - normally a turn or 2 before OOE.  Once in assault there is very little that can reliably damage a monstrous creature, before the creature can kill it that is.

There's less of a chance that a winged Tyrant will be caught in the open, and less turns to shoot at it before it assaults something.

Don't get me wrong, I think OOE is a great creature.  I'd take him just to soak up enemy heavy firepower so my tyrants  can move up unmolested.  Its just that a S6 Tyrant with 5 base attacks at I 5 is generally more effective, even without throwing in the warp blast.
The Tyranids are the most rapidly evolving race in the galaxy.  They are super-predators destined to hunt all others to extinction.