News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 1500pt chaos space marines  (Read 2873 times)

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
1500pt chaos space marines
« on: March 5, 2015, 11:22:44 AM »
I'm thinking of converting my Blood Angels to chaos, as I like the idea of playing chaos space marines. I also want to go with a Khorne themed list (so it won't be a huge divergence).

I'm thinking of the following mechanized list to play.

Khan
Chaos Lord with MoK, meltabomb and power axe

Two squads of Khorne berserkers with eight models in each, champion with powerfist.

Two landraiders with extra armour

1500pts

Three chaos space marine squads with MoK, meltabomb and rhino. (not sure if it's worth having bolters, or close combat weapons for the extra attack).

Each land raider has a character and berserker squad in it. It has some anti-tank shooting with the lascannons and meltaguns and a lot of objective secured as well. It has no real defense against flyers, but I am hoping that won't be a big issue. I think this list could work a bit, and I think it'd be fun to convert and model on the vehicles.

The lord, is just to add extra threat and punch, for the squad without Khan.

What do you folks think?
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
Re: 1500pt chaos space marines
« Reply #1 on: March 5, 2015, 02:39:53 PM »
Land Raiders are pretty durable these days, so that aspect of the list looks pretty decent. I wouldn't worry about flyers overmuch (at 1500 points you might see 1-2, but with the exception of the Heldrake, few of them will be an overwhelming threat).

You are *very* shooting light. Where are the meltaguns (or did you mean meltabombs)?

I feel like this list could lose one of the CSM + Rhino squads and replace it with something that shoots at the enemy. Forgefiends are nice (if you can afford one--not sure how many CSMs per squad there), or maybe some Raptors with flamers, or something else to help weaken hard targets before the charge. Even a smattering of Havoc Launchers or special weapons on the CSM squads would help. 

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
« Reply #2 on: March 5, 2015, 04:56:52 PM »
By meltabombs, I meant Meltaguns. Each rhino squad is around 120pts. Shooting can be a concern. A forgefiend could be fun and nice to squeeze in.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Slick Samos

• Que!!
  • Armies: Tau, Dark Angels & Salamanders
« Reply #3 on: March 5, 2015, 05:44:10 PM »
So you get a new Codex and switch to the second oldest one...  :P

I personally think that the Fast Attack choices are generally the strongest in most Codexes and Chaos is no exception.  (Side note - it should be Codices, like matrices, but GW has to be special...)  Chaos Bike Squads and Raptor Squads would fit the list nicely as they're fast close combat units which can take multiple special weapons regardless of size.  This primarily means that they can Assault at the same time as the Berserkers which means your opponent will only have 2 Land Raiders to shoot at...  [Insert evil laugh here]

I guess what I'm getting at is if you drop the three Rhino squads and instead take three bulked out MoK Raptor/Bike Squads each with Power Weapon, Meltabomb, Close Combat Weapons and Special Weapons, you might find your control of the board better... 

My tactic would be to drive the Land Raiders into the enemy along one flank using terrain to shield, whilst hiding your fast units as much as possible.  Then everything jumps out in one turn, Berserkers tying up the two biggest squads and the Raptors and Bikes Meltering three different vehicles to death then charging in as well.  You can mess with the enemy by using turbo boost to faint where you're going to hit if you're clever.  Disclaimer #1: I'm not clever. 

Since I don't have the codex:
Are naked Chosen more cost effective than Berserkers? 
Would a Dark Apostle be better than a Chaos Lord?
Have you considered any Daemons?
Also who is going to hold rear objectives, unless you're being really brave and putting them all in your opponents deployment zone?  Disclaimer #2: I'm not brave.

Hope this helps...

Slick Samos
Play more games, paint more models...

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
« Reply #4 on: March 5, 2015, 08:22:17 PM »
Here's my take on your questions, Samos:

Since I don't have the codex:
Are naked Chosen more cost effective than Berserkers?

No, definitely not. They lose out on a couple fronts. 

Would a Dark Apostle be better than a Chaos Lord?

No way. They're pretty awful unless you're running a lot of cultists or something.

Have you considered any Daemons?

Honestly, a cheap Herald of Khorne and two fat units of Bloodletters wouldn't be the worst complement to this list. More cost effective than basic Khornate CSMs, anyway. Very much does not solve the shooting issue, though.   

Also who is going to hold rear objectives, unless you're being really brave and putting them all in your opponents deployment zone?  Disclaimer #2: I'm not brave.

Bah! If you play Khorne, you play balls-out, I say! Throw your objectives in midfield or in the enemy DZ. Don't crouch on your 3VP like a weakling--go and seize them!

In all seriousness: Camping on DZ objectives I find to be very tactically limiting, especially with forces that work well aggressively (like Khorne). Don't bother if you can avoid it--go forth and hunt the bastards down. Or die trying, at any rate.

Offline Slick Samos

• Que!!
  • Armies: Tau, Dark Angels & Salamanders
« Reply #5 on: March 9, 2015, 07:12:29 PM »
Ah okay cool.

So what were your (pl.) thoughts on swapping the Rhino squads for FA?
Play more games, paint more models...

• Ancient
« Reply #6 on: March 9, 2015, 09:30:40 PM »
I almost prefer having the troop units for more objective secured models. I like small squads in Rhinos, they can be very useful at points. The meltaguns are useful too I find from playing other armies. I'm not worried about missions with two objectives, but the ones where there are three to six.

What sort of fast attack could I realistically add, with 120pt per rhino squad? A small bike squad, or raptors I don't think will be any more useful and spawn won't do much more then the two berserker squads would.
Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria