News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: (Yet Another) Warp Spiders Phoenix Lord  (Read 1864 times)

Offline Wyldhunt

(Yet Another) Warp Spiders Phoenix Lord
« on: February 21, 2015, 07:26:50 PM »
So these are the rules for Lykhosidae (whose name I stole from a similar thread years ago), a PL equivalent for the Warp Spiders.  I've converted a model for her out of a spare drazhar model, a shredder, some scything talons, and a razorflail (which would have been a shardnet if it and the shredder weren't both a right-arm weapon).  She's seen play in a few games, but has yet to face anything scarey in melee.  Her shooting seems to be balanced, but I worry that Stalker makes her Chelicerae too powerful against expensive characters.

Thoughts?

Lykhosidae, the Ruby Web
Pts 200
Stats: standard for PL
Special Rules: Standard for PL
Exarch Powers: Stalker
Warlord Trait: Seer of the Shifting Vector
Wargear: the death weaver, chelicerae,  phoenix armor, widow's pack

The death weaver:  S6, AP-, Assault 1, monofilament, torrent

Chelicerae: A pair of power blades that have the instant death rule on a to-wound roll of 6.

By channeling the power of her widow pack through her power blades, Lykhosidae can shunt her foe into warp with the slightest kiss of her weapons.

Widow's pack: a warp jump generator that, once per game, allows Lykhosidae's unit to ignore the bit about losing a random squad member to the warp when doing a movement phase warp jump. 

The fluff here being that the pack can produce a "reality reassertion field" similar to a gellar field that shunts the armor and its wearer back into reality but takes a while to recharge.  In this way, Lykhosidae's armor has avoided being lost to the warp despite millenia of active combat (even if the wearer is not so lucky).  A powerful beacon within the armor ensures that the armor eventually finds its way back into eldar hands and is responsible for Lykhosidae's warlord trait.

Her shooting looks intimidating, and it's certainly not bad, but it's proven to be pretty reasonable in practice.  She has a lot of special gear, but that sort of offsets the fact that she doesn't have as many exarch powers as most phoenix lords (because the other spider powers either don't work with her ability set or are too good). 

As previously stated, I'm worried that stalker stands to make her chelicerae too potent, but the white scars chapter master has something similar.  What do you think?  If the chelicerae are too good as is, what if they were changed to have the soul shrive rule (reflecting the same fluff but with the target managing to will themselves to stay in the materium) or simply the rending rule (making her unreliably more effective against things with a 2+ save)?

Offline Grizzlykin

• Run little eldar, run! ... And KILL THEM ALL !
  • Armies: Eldars, Tau, Necrons
Re: (Yet Another) Warp Spiders Phoenix Lord
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2015, 05:44:27 PM »
I can't say much about the rule regarding the close combat situation i don't believe that would be too strong, it's a 200 point character even the avatar is 195 points and he is a monstuous beast compare to your over all character. Less mobile and less shooty but still i think it's  pretty good. If you are really seeing that once in cc it is really too strong, get yourself some extra point in the cost and you should be good to go.

1 more things :oh bly do i love your fluff it works extra well and sound really sweet to me. The rules you have really are good in the end :) fluff wise and gameplay wise i think.

Really nice creation let us the see the model once you are done :)
The Grizzly's Arvandor Craftworld!

Quote from: Cavalier
ALL HAIL THE TORNADO! The legend is REBORN.

Quote from: Alienscar
The forum member so nice that even when he is MIA he still gets two votes for being the nicest member

Offline Calamity

• Concussor Concussed Dice | Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Cocking up miniatures since 1998
  • Armies: Kharadron Overlords, Bloodbound, Celestial Lions
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2015, 09:24:27 PM »
Yes, I want to see the model too.

As it stands, I think your character is good to go.  I don't think the Chelicerae Stalker combo is too powerful as it requires a lot of chance.  It's not like it'll happen constantly.  Plus the points cost evens it out.

Good job!  :)
« Last Edit: February 22, 2015, 09:25:28 PM by Tangi »

Offline Wyldhunt

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2015, 05:44:56 PM »
I'm not much of a painter, but here are some pics of her as requested. :)  Pieces included drazhar, a shredder, some scything talons (from warriors I think), and a wych weapon.  I'd have used deaths pinners instead of the shredder if I had any to spare, but at least now it looks a bit different while still keeping the theme. I wanted to give her a shardnet instead of the close combat weapon, but there's a frustrating amount of competition for right-handed weapons.

« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 05:45:58 PM by Wyldhunt »

Offline Calamity

• Concussor Concussed Dice | Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Cocking up miniatures since 1998
  • Armies: Kharadron Overlords, Bloodbound, Celestial Lions
« Reply #4 on: March 1, 2015, 11:05:42 AM »
That's an interesting conversion. :)