News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: No Raveners??  (Read 3482 times)

Offline Sentinel XIII

• -No rest for the wickeD-
No Raveners??
« on: September 18, 2002, 09:31:24 PM »
Why do I never see Raveners included in army lists? Is there something I'm missing? They move 9" and have what, three attacks?? I think since they move independantly, they would be great. Scything talons and rending claws = tank hunting don't they?
Please, tell me why my favorite models aren't worth the chatter.

XIII

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Infinity Circuit | Boss Orkountant | I used Flash Gitz and didn't lose! | KoN Warlord
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • The best upgrade for an ork, is more orks!
  • Armies: Hmmmm.... Orks?
Re:No Raveners??
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2002, 09:38:19 AM »
First the ravener while in theory would be a good unit, in function it isnt.  They die too easy, and for the same price you can get gaunts that do the same job.  
"It needs but one foe to breed a war. And even those who have not swords can still die upon them" (Lady Eowyn)
     We orks are not about being the hero; We orks are about being the mob.

Quote from: angel of death 007
Skeetergod: (adj) A crazy fascination for all things combustible mixed with an unhealty lust for red paint. see also Speed Freak

Offline jasper

• if you dont know, i cant tell you
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2002, 11:51:33 AM »
the models are sweet...i plan on getting some soon, just dont have the $$$

Offline chimera

• Whoa, this is the fourth time I died
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2002, 06:58:30 PM »
I have em.They're awesome. they either draw away from the big guys or they're underestimated.When underestimated they take down 2-7 tactical squads.Otherwise your big guys will take down EVERYTHING else.
Ich bin die Verkörperung des Todes!

Im waitng in my cold cell,
When the bell begins to chime,
Reflecting on my past life,
And it doesn't have much time.

Cause at five o'clock,
 they take me to the gallows oooooohhhh!
The sands of time,
for me, are running low!

Black

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2002, 09:33:49 PM »
anyone who thinks that raveners such should have their teeth ripped out i had 3 raveners take out a demon prince!! he may of killed 2 of my raveners but they still killed him!

Offline Sentinel XIII

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2002, 10:05:10 PM »
You see!? Black and Chimera know what they can do for an army. Besides, I like the 3 attacks, and if they assault, thats 4. Brood of 6 is 24 attacks in an assault (unless I'm wrong which is possible) Scything talons and Rending claws will shred anything in their way. That settles it.
Raveners all the way. ;D

XIII

Offline chimera

• Whoa, this is the fourth time I died
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2002, 09:59:23 AM »
Do you know that in a game (my nids, krafs nurglesque v.s. two black templars and an eldar) first they were under estimated and took down 2 tactical squads.then they were over estimated and my carni killed the avatar.
Ich bin die Verkörperung des Todes!

Im waitng in my cold cell,
When the bell begins to chime,
Reflecting on my past life,
And it doesn't have much time.

Cause at five o'clock,
 they take me to the gallows oooooohhhh!
The sands of time,
for me, are running low!

Offline Sentinel XIII

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2002, 10:16:07 AM »
See, thats what I mean! Raveners all the way.

Callidus

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2002, 08:11:41 PM »
Actually, if you give them 2 sets of sything talons each, they have 5 attacks a piece, 6 on charge. Yowza.
As soon as I saw the Raveners in the codex, I thought "Win-Win situation". If your oppenent under estimates them then they rip entire squads to shreads, if they over estimate them, them that just take more fire power away from your big bugs.
GO RAVENERS!!!

Offline Sentinel XIII

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2002, 09:31:02 PM »
I didn't think you could do that?! Two sets of Scything Talons gives me +2 attacks!! I can't beleive i never thought about it!! I'm having a breakdown..
C'Tan Man, thank you!
Thirty-six attacks on an assault. I just peed my pants.

XIII

Callidus

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2002, 11:12:47 PM »
No problem.
Glad to help.
Any time.
Yes.

Offline AceV53

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2002, 12:36:58 AM »
I don't see Raveners too much because opponents are like, "Uh oh! Things that move fast and assault well...KILL KILL KILL!!!" so they bombard it and kill them off right away. I would advise using them regardless because they are awesome bugs/models! At 35 points a piece they are worth it. I always move them through cover so they don't get shot up as much and when I get them up in CC is death for the enemy! :)
"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his. "
- General George Patton (1885-1945)

"All I ever wanted was an honest week's pay for an honest day's work."
-Steve Martin in Sergeant Bilko

Callidus

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2002, 10:32:49 PM »
Well that just gives more time for your gaunts to get there. 32 hormies have 96 attacks on the charge (assuming you can get all of them within 2"), half hit, 48, depending who your playing against, let's say SM, about 20 wound, and about 7 die. One hole tactical squad down the drain, and sweeping advance.
Everything is expendible in a Tyranid swarm. If one thing gets blown to smitherins, just say to yourself, "It's alright, because I never liked them anyways!"
Seriously, they will either take away from the main fire power, or not get shot at, at all and will kill many squads before the enemy realizes that they are worth shooting, and then they will be over run by guants. They just can't win!!!
MUHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

Offline Sentinel XIII

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2002, 06:52:27 PM »
C'Tan, I don't know where you live, but i hope I never face you in a battle. You'll have way too much fun killing me.

XIII

Callidus

« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2002, 10:48:16 PM »
You'd probably kill me a fair amount as well, I'm sure.
That is mainly what I play the game for. I love the strategy involved. Painting and modelling are just bonuses!
I live in Canada, by the way. If anyone cares.

Offline Mantus

« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2002, 12:59:57 AM »
I just got my first squad of 3 raveners a few games ago.

I got them cuz they are so much cheaper to buy then winged warriors.

I arm them with scything tallons and rending claws.  The claws i a must to take advantage of their high attack characteristic.  With 4 dice you almost always roll a six.  If you arm them with nothing but tallons you will have allot of frusturated games where your 5 attacks just end up bouncing off marine armor.  The claws also make them a threat to vehicles.

As far as combat performance goes i find that they die kinda easy.  Its their armor really.  Makes them susceptible to small arms fire and makes them rather fragile in HtH.  Imagine this: how hard is it to kill 2 orks? well thats exactly how hard it is to kill a ravener.

Winged Warriors are still my Fast Attack unit of choice.

Offline Kei'Ariq

• Ancient
  • Ariq rides again
    • Wych Cult of Spank Me!
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2002, 05:04:02 AM »
Hiding in the forest is still my preferred way of dealing with your Fast Attack unit of choice.

I would rate Raveners or Warriors with Leaping Legs as better choices, unless you are taking wings so that you can deep strike and gun down annoying vehicles.

Offline Mantus

« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2002, 11:06:05 AM »
Yah them not being able to get into terrain can be pretty enoying.  But hey, it can work both ways.  Sometimes the enemy is so keen on getting away that they will go into cover thats not an advantage for them.

Yah i am planning on converting some leaping warriors. Just for those situations, and the fact that they are cheaper, and most importantly they are synapse.

Offline jasper

• if you dont know, i cant tell you
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2002, 01:33:12 PM »
do they have to be converted to give them the leaping skill??  i really dont want to mess around cutting and greenstuffing all my warriors, i know you have to have wings on them for wings(duh), but is it absolutley neccesary to pose them as leaping??

Offline Sentinel XIII

« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2002, 01:57:56 PM »
I think it is because other players might think 'Duh, are dese leapin' nids or are dey normal walking-like ones?' You'd be surprised how often I hear this, speech impediment and all.

XIII