News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: I keep losing the same way... help!  (Read 2662 times)

Offline nevaenuffbass

I keep losing the same way... help!
« on: January 2, 2019, 09:16:11 AM »
I play my best mate about once a week. The only army I run is eldar, he has several. He is a a tournament player, and I enjoy the challenge.
He has defeated me with Chaos space marines, grey knights and orks in the last 5 games, using a very similar playstyle in each game.

Through whatever means available, he has most of his army very close to mine by the end of T1. With orks it is a combination of his vehicles and the 'da jump' power. With grey knights, half his army can shunt forward and there is the gate of infinity. With CSM it took him a bit longer, but he had an army of fast things and deep strikers.

Anyhow, he uses that board control really well. I find that I end up cornered, albeit with reserves that come on - but he denies my ability to deep strike really well (I use spiders, war walkers and 20 guardians in the webway). By T5 I have usually put a pretty big dent in his army, but he has been controlling objectives and clocking up points for 5 turns and wins the game.

I find that I struggle to shift his units, who seem able to weather a lot of shuriken fire. I use doom and shuricannons / shuricats, supported by reapers or war walkers with bright lances. I feel we lack a good counter-assault choice, and while our shooting is good, it tends to only take out a single target per turn.

I have experimented with lists, and have a pretty decent collection. Typically I take 2 serpents, a guardian blob, jetbikes for support /scoring and heavy weapons on vypers and war walkers.
Last game I tried dropping the serpents for more small units, which didn't really help.

I have found it useful to take a sacrificial max unit of guardians, who deploy across the edge of my deployment zone. Means that he can't deep strike in my zone, and the stratagem that gives a 4++ is useful.   

Offline Partninja

• Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
Re: I keep losing the same way... help!
« Reply #1 on: January 2, 2019, 11:33:42 AM »
It sounds like you are playing a friendly list against a tourney list. Or he is tailoring his lists to yours.

A Farseer near a big squad of reapers is invaluable when you use the stratagem to shoot at deep strikers.

Shining Spears are an excellent counter assault unit. They're just strong in general.

Offline nevaenuffbass

« Reply #2 on: January 3, 2019, 09:04:22 AM »
He is playing a tough list. I want him to. I just want mine to be better :)

I have been using reapers as well.

Offline bca11

« Reply #3 on: January 3, 2019, 10:16:40 AM »
Post your list as well as a general idea of what units you have available.

Offline Partninja

• Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #4 on: January 3, 2019, 10:48:48 AM »
Competitively speaking, the top tier lists are a soup with DE. Not many are strictly CWE.

However, a top tier list pre-chapter approved would have 1-2 battalions of rangers (at least 3+ min squads), triple shuriken serpents (used mostly for durability to protect reapers turn 1 and putting out mortal wounds) big squads of reapers, shining spears, a doom-seer and a few spiritseer. Usually an airwing detachment with crimson hunters and/hemlocks. Doom, jinx, and smite being the most important powers. Usually all Alaitoc.

With the new chapter approved missions though, mobility with durability will be a lot more important due to some missions scoring at the end of the round, not player turn and tabling someone isn't an automatic win. Also one that only troops can score and another only characters can score.
« Last Edit: January 3, 2019, 10:53:28 AM by Partninja »

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #5 on: January 6, 2019, 05:48:19 PM »
seeing what your typical list is, would help. Vyper's have always been a tricky thing to use and are not hard to deal with in the current meta. War walkers are now only slightly better thanks to the invul save, they haven't been great since 5th ed. Dark reapers are a better option these days.

If you are getting cornered, then do not under estimate an empowered squad of banshee's (against power armour) or Scorpions (against hordes), if they are that close, chances are good that you would be able to doom them as well, if you really need it dead, then empower, doom and jinx.

Offline nevaenuffbass

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2019, 02:31:42 AM »
Sorry for the late post.

A typical army at 1500 points is as follows:

Farseer skyrunner
Warlock

1-2 x 20 guardian / storm guarian blobs - one usually goes in for a webway strike, assisted by doom, and is very helpful. I have though about doing this twice, but it is hard to find space. If i use storm guardians, I line them on the front edge of my deployment zone, and then use the 4++ stratagem on them, to keep him out of my webway
1 unit of rangers (only own one)

Combination of dark reapers and war walkers with bright lance.

Second saim hann outrider detachment with
Autarch, fusion pistol, the saim hann lance
Combination of min sized jetbikes and single vypers with starcannons.

In the past I have run a wave serpent or two, carrying storm guardians / dark reapers. I dropped the serpents as I felt I could get twice as much firepower out of the vypers / warwalkers.

Offline Partninja

• Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2019, 05:41:34 AM »
With the price reductions I like missile launchers on the War Walkers. Gives them better range so they don't need to move of deployed well. It also gives them a dual purpose with the two firing modes.

The Serpents aren't so much for the fore power as they are the staying power. They protect your reapers and HQs turn 1. However being able to fire the serpent shield twice (with stratagem) combined with a few smites put out quite a bit of mortal wounds (which is the other reason people take them).

Offline admironheart

• later
  • Armies: Eldar,Exodites,Harlequins.Squats,Dark Eldar&BA
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2019, 11:42:22 PM »
You sound like you have the right pieces...but maybe are not using them right.

Try to move most of your stuff to one flank so you only have to fight half his army at a time...using LOS terrain and distance to slow him up.

If you can place objectives so that one side will move some of his pieces too far away to hurt you and the other where you 'plan' to fight the battle.

Doom should be your bomb. Last tournament I had a mobbed up 40 boyz Orks thrown into the center of my deployment. When I was done he had 4 boyz left.

I have changed from a very large footdar list to 5 tanks + flyer with bikes/jetbikes and lots of MSU in the tanks. Tanks take a good bit of an army to remove and you still have your cargo afterwards to deliver some retaliation.
"Battles are decided by slaughter and maneuver.  The greater the general, the more he contributes in manuever, the less he demands in slaughter"...Winston Churchill