News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Looking at ideas for 500 points worth of Allies with Al'Rahem  (Read 1359 times)

Offline Swamp Rat

I'm currently using Mantis Warriors as a long term project, and figured, with the new rules, i could feasibly add that Guard unit i've always had my eye on.

Keeping with the Theme of the Mantis Warriors, deserts, i figured that Al'Rahem was the best way forwards.

I've never done Guard before, at least with nothing more than a passing interest. This is probably another of those. Money is tight these days, but i'm quite open to jig this up as much as i can. The intention would be to have Al'Rahem and his boys outflank, and try and grab any objective i can, whilst the rest would support that.

HQ

Company Command Squad - Astropath, 4 Sniper Rifles

Troops

Infantry Platoon - Command Squad - Al'Rahem

Infantry Squad - Grenade Launcher, Power Maul

Infantry Squad - Grenade Launcher, Power Maul

Fast Attack

Sentinel Squadron - 3 with autocannons

Elites

Sniper Squad (Ratlings) - 5

500 points. I'm leaving the anti tank to my Mantis Warriors, they're good at that, whilst the Sentinel's are there to hit any light transports, and the Ratlings and Command squad are there to pick off men. 9 bs4 sniper shots mean that i should be picking a person off every couple of turns, whilst the Astropath lets me re-roll Al'Rahem's Outflank roll, and, apparently any reserve rolls my Mantis Warriors might be making too. Al'Rahem and his boys pretty much just blitz and swamp any objectives that are there. Not looking to claim them, or shift anyone off of them, just swamp them with enough people to contest any objectives.

Does anyone have any experience with Al'Rahem? He seems to be quite aggressive, yet more of a harrying unit than anything else. I'm unsure about the Ratlings, i really don't like the models, and may just use some Sniper models, but i'm quite happy to drop them for something better.
the only hope you have is to accept the fact that you're already dead. And the sooner you accept that, the sooner you will be able to function the way a soldier is supposed to function -- without mercy, without compassion, without remorse. All war depends on it.

Don't cry for the Happy dead
But weep for those who dread to die.

Space Wolves Win Draw Loss - 5-3-0

Offline AndreSTL

• Armies: GOFFS! BAD MOONZ! Tallarn/Cadian IG, White Scars
Re: Looking at ideas for 500 points worth of Allies with Al'Rahem
« Reply #1 on: July 6, 2012, 11:49:49 AM »
Al'Rahem is pretty awesome IMO. I have used him extensively in games with objectives. You have done the right thing to bring an astropath. once Al is on the board(with his entire platoon!) he is pretty hard to get rid of! I roll may entire platoon in chimeras- a kind of rolling pillbox army to keep them that much safer (although now I may be changing tactics with chimeras as they are a little more fragile now! just to save some points) Now with overwatch i will keep my platoon somewhat stationary and kill from range.

as for the rats, i have yet to play a game where they sit out. I usually run at least one squad of 10. now with the new sniper rules being able to allocate wounds on a roll of six i may run two full squads! i love them. they are cheap and effective. and they are capable of taking alot of fire if they are put in cover. my rats saved 5 twin linked shots from a lascannon last game i played!

seems like a good list to go with your anti tank army i would say!

i have no codex available right now. but im not sure 3 sentinels would be only 120 with autos on...
Doesn't Ally well with others...

Offline Mr Joe Moose

• The Green Marine
« Reply #2 on: July 6, 2012, 06:02:02 PM »
I like to run Al'Rahem alongside a 30 man squad with power weapons, grenade launchers, and a commissar.  A 30 man blob has a solid amount of firepower and is hard to remove in an assault.  If you have many marines in your area, I would suggest power axes instead of mauls.  Guard are slow so they usually hit last anyway.  This means the the big downside to the axe isn't an issue.  The extra AP from the axe makes a huge difference.  Assuming my math is right, a Sgt with an axe will land an average of .75 wounds on marines when your squad is charged (if you get to charge them, they have bigger problems than your power weapons).  The maul averages .33 wounds after saves.  Also, the axe has a decent shot against an AV 2 target. 

I would suggest losing some of the sentinels to make room for a more effective blob squad. 

Offline Swamp Rat

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2012, 05:21:13 PM »
Axes over mauls is viable, especially with the Marauder theme i want to be going with. I could drop the Sentinel's down to 2 of them, and then use the points to...well do what? I'd quite like a mobile unit that can unleash a large amount of high caliber firepower, and only having two of them makes them seem kind of fragile. I'd have to drop one of them and two snipers to get another platoon for a blob, and i do want to keep snipers in as much as possible.

Having said that, i could get another 4 ratlings...

Modellingwise, i'm thinking of mixing Marauders and Catachan's, with the Al'Rahem model being something inbetween. As a character, how is Al'Rahem? Aside from Outflank, is there any particular way i should be using him?
the only hope you have is to accept the fact that you're already dead. And the sooner you accept that, the sooner you will be able to function the way a soldier is supposed to function -- without mercy, without compassion, without remorse. All war depends on it.

Offline Mr Joe Moose

• The Green Marine
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2012, 03:25:51 AM »
I haven't ever gotten much out of Al besides his outflank rule.  Occasionally he hurts a decent target with his pistol, but I have never had him make a notable contribution in close combat.  His sword is certainly cool, but I can't think of a single instance where he has survived to put it to good use.  Now days I generally deploy him right behind his platoon.  This way he is safe from charges and some incoming fire, which means I still gett to use orders on the platoon.  When I can find the points, I put a vox in the platoon and another in Al's squad.  When your guardsmen flank onto an enemy objective it is absolutely vital that they pass their order test. They are an isolated pocket of cannon fodder in an army that normally likes to create overlapping zones of control.  It is tough being a guardsman behind enemy lines.

Offline Swamp Rat

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2012, 06:09:08 AM »
I'm not sure how isolated they'd be, if the rumours are true about Forge World models, these guys would be getting used with my Mantis Warriors, an all infantry, all infiltrating army. Alternatively, my scout heavy Space Wolves will be using them.

I can see his sword being more useful now with the new challenge rules, but i get what you mean, i'll be relying on his men to do the work rather than him.

With that in mind, is there any equipment i'm missing on giving the infantry squads? I'll be honest, i am tempted to drop the Sentinels for another 20 Guardsmen kitted out with Grenade Launchers and Power Weapons (axes).

Offline Shas'La robo

• For the Greater GOOD!!... and the Emperor
  • Armies: Imperial Guard, Tau
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2012, 06:18:11 AM »
A special weapon squad with with melta guns/plasma guns and maybe a demolition charge could come in handy for some impromptu anti-tank or anti 2+ save.
Alternatively 2 more infantry squads with grenade launcher/flamer and power weapon, as you suggested, would also be handy.

robo
hug cover, shoot the big ones, and cripple the fast ones. if those cant be achieved, kill em all.  8)