News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Flamers and Overwatch  (Read 4097 times)

Offline Roboknee77

• Ork Boy
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Armies: Orks, Sisters
Flamers and Overwatch
« on: July 20, 2017, 04:42:32 PM »
Hey all, got another question for you that could pop up with the use of Da Jump and charging.

Da Jump lets me move a unit to anywhere over 9" away from an enemy target.  If I declare a charge with Da Jumped unit, the unit being charged immediately gets to shoot overwatch following all the rules of shooting.  In the shooting section it says that a unit can target another unit if it the target is within range of the weapon.  Thus, flamers cannot be used in overwatch if the target is outside of their range, like in this case after using Da Jump.  Am I interpreting that right? There is no wall of death rule in this edition or in the basic rules that I see.

I've seen this interpretation on other forums and sites and want to see what other people think here.

Offline Blazinghand

• Warlock | Master of the Ravenwing
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Die for the Emperor or die trying!
  • Armies: Eldar, Orks
Re: Flamers and Overwatch
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2017, 05:31:55 PM »
You can only fire overwatch with weapons that are within range to shoot. So, for example, if the charging unit is outside the range of the overwatching unit's flamer, that flamer can't be used for overwatch. There are no special rules in the base rulebook that allow weapons to shoot beyond their maximum range during overwatch. Remember, overwatch shooting happens BEFORE you make the charge move.
Quote from: Howard Zinn
There is no flag large enough to cover the shame of killing innocent people.

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2017, 05:34:54 PM »
Hey all, got another question for you that could pop up with the use of Da Jump and charging.

Da Jump lets me move a unit to anywhere over 9" away from an enemy target.  If I declare a charge with Da Jumped unit, the unit being charged immediately gets to shoot overwatch following all the rules of shooting.  In the shooting section it says that a unit can target another unit if it the target is within range of the weapon.  Thus, flamers cannot be used in overwatch if the target is outside of their range, like in this case after using Da Jump.  Am I interpreting that right? There is no wall of death rule in this edition or in the basic rules that I see.

I've seen this interpretation on other forums and sites and want to see what other people think here.

Correct. They must be in range of the weapon at the start of the charge.

Offline Roboknee77

• Ork Boy
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Armies: Orks, Sisters
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2017, 06:54:01 PM »
Cool, thank you.  I just wanted to make sure.  I still have a lot of rule lag from 7th edition.