News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Da NOB army..  (Read 984 times)

Offline O.I.C.

• Ork Skarboy
Da NOB army..
« on: January 20, 2009, 11:19:27 PM »

so i was at my LGS today painting while a friend of mine built and converted a few nobs.. many hours later he came to me saying " look thats almost the whole army" pointing to the 4 squads of nobs and 2 war bosses..

i havnt put all the points together yet. but hes a basic break down.

warboss evy armor huge chopa TL shoota boss pole

9 nobs + painboy  huge chopas 1 PK evy armor, banner, cyborc bodys

warboss evy armor huge chopa TL shoota boss pole

9 nobs + painboy  huge chopas 1 PK evy armor, banner, cyborc bodys

flash gits maybe some up grades cyborcs ( not sure ) + pain boy

and another nob mob of 9 + pain boy

Looked mean great theam its small ...but wow. all with 2 wounds a 5+ invo, and feel no pain..monsterus!!

ill get more details soon. he said he was gona plug it into army builder later..im realy looking forward to it!!

What do you all think?

OIC

Offline Saracenar

• Skarboy Nob
  • "Ugh..."
  • Armies: Malifaux :P
Re: Da NOB army..
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2009, 11:46:50 PM »
Sounds like it could be pretty points heavy to me. He should get some cheap transports for the nobz so they can make it up the board faster.
Otherwise, it looks like it could pretty a pretty fun list to play with, and could certainly do some damage.

You're looking at over 1500pts with a full unit of flash gitz included. You might as well bump it up to 2000pts with transports and somethin else.

Those nob units are almost 400pts each. I'm assuming by "Huge choppas" you mean big choppas and they are for everyone who isnt the painboy or pk wielder. I would advise your friend to ditch all the big choppas and get 1 or 2 more pks in each squad.

If he doesnt take flash gitz he could fit everything else in with transports for everyone, and still have some points left over. I think it comes to approx 1330pts for everything you listed bar the gitz.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2009, 11:53:41 PM by Saracenar »

Offline OD from TV

• Ork Warlord | Title of Doom status: pending | KoN Veteran
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • OD's Project Blog
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2009, 02:14:33 AM »
Well "Huge Choppas" or " 'Uge Choppas" are Big Choppas, its what they were called in previous years and Codexs.

Transports would be a must for such an elite based force, although it might not due so well with objective capturing with only 2 Troops.  One possible addition to the army could be a unit of Grots to sit on a deployment zone objective constantly going to ground, although that would be your decision. (err I mean your friends decision).

How many Flash Gitz are in the squad, any idea?  They probably have More Dakka (as 2 shots with Orky BS is always better than 1), although they may also have Shootier (which in my opinion it is a mistake to have more than 1 upgrade on a Gitz squad.)

Each troop squad comes to 410 points by my count (and not to bring up another thread, but that is with adding xx+yy for the Painboy).  Which puts the entire army (bar the Flash Gitz as there is insufficient info to qualify the points for) at 1395, with a model count of 32 .  Although that is assuming that the last listed Nob Mob is a clone of the Troops mobs + a Bosspole.  If you add 3 basic trukks (and I mean naked trukks with no upgrades, not even Red Paint) your at 1500 even.

Depending on the size and the upgrades of the Gitz (assuming that there is no Kaptin) it could range from 180 points to 430 points, although that is if there is the Cybork upgrades.  With such a low model count, and because of the abnormal abundance of Dokz, find out if there are any Grot Orderlies for FNP re-rolls, as that would help this elite force kickin (although it be at a price).

I think this would be an interesting force to see on the table, but not something to be incredibly scared of.  Theres a lot of spice and flavor in this army, but no real meat and potatoes so to speak, and with so little backing it up, the army will crumble in the face of Dakka, particularly against Tau and maybe even the massed Lazguns of the Imp Guard.

Even against other Ork armies, this one might not have the staying power or the numbers to survive a few rounds against massed numbers of Lootas, SAGs, Kannons, Boomgunz and/or Kill Kannons.  Although I do think that the army has a chance against other Elite based armies like Grey Knights, it certainly isn't an all commers list.

Granted thats just my opinion, take it or leave it.

Peace
~OD
Truly beautiful work. That's the kind of stuff that makes a true mekanik cry tears of joy.
OD, you once again prove that your are still the freakin Da Vinci of plasticard

Offline Fafnir

• Ork Boy
  • tied and gagged in the back of your car
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2009, 04:34:28 AM »
Drop all the big choppas. They're simply not worth it, they actually lower the efficiency of your orks against all but the toughest enemies, which are best saved for powerklaws.

So get 2 more powerklaws for each unit, and remove every big choppa.

Obviously, some transports would also be in order.

Flash gitz are not something I would recommend. Moar nobz, less gitz.

You may want to give a few of the nobz kombi-skorchas. They not only allow you to have a little more fun with wound distribution, but they also give you a nice big damage template right before you charge in. Drive in, drop 2 or 3 flamer templates, then charge. It'll rape'em.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2009, 04:36:45 AM by Fafnir »

Offline Andro Ist Keine Schwedischen

• Da Biggest; His Fluffiness; Warboss
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2009, 06:15:53 AM »
Big Choppas are okay, but only en-mass (or as a cheap alternative on a Shoota Nob)..  Otherwise it won't really achieve much.

Transports are very much needed, otherwise this army will just be shot to pieces as it slugs across the board (or just avoided altogether).  Elite assault armies need to be in combat as soon as possible, otherwise they just get wasted.

~Andromidius
aka. Boris the Bear

Offline Fafnir

• Ork Boy
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2009, 01:24:43 PM »
No, en-masse, they're even worse. Against anything T4 and lower(in otherwords, the majority of units in the game), sluggas and choppas are better. You're better off saving your points and buying more powerklaws, with which you can use to not only take out high toughness units, but also enemy armour. Not to mention that klaws go through armour saves.

Offline Andro Ist Keine Schwedischen

• Da Biggest; His Fluffiness; Warboss
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2009, 08:39:15 PM »
Depends on your target.  Against Guard Equivilent isn't not great, but against Marines it be can quite useful (assuming no Waaagh! Banner or charging):

Nob w/ Choppa/Slugga = 4 attacks = 2 hits = 1 wound = 0.33 kills

Nob w/ Big Choppa = 3 attacks = 1.5 hits = 1.25 wounds = 0.41 kills

Nob w/ Power Klaw = 3 attacks = 1.5 hits = 1.25 kills

Not a huge difference between the Choppa and Big Choppa, but it can tip the balance when used en-mass.  Not to mention the squad can rip Rhinos to pieces if need be.  And can actually strike in combat before being cut down alot of the time.  The Klaw obviously does the damage, but costs more then the Nob itself (though the points/kill ratio is still good), and has the risk of never being able to swing.

Though I would always still have a Power Klaw in there somewhere.  But Big Choppas do have their uses.  They just aren't my preference.

~Andromidius
aka. Boris the Bear

Offline Fafnir

• Ork Boy
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2009, 09:38:44 PM »
You're not including the charge, which is a huge part of that equation. If you get the charge (and since you're orks, that's pretty much the one thing that you're trying to do throughout the entire game), sluggas and choppas are superior.

Against MEQ(all calculated with a Waaagh! banner, because that's pretty much standard):

Slugga and Choppa:
5 attacks --> 3.33 hits --> 2.22 wounds

Big Choppa:
4 attacks --> 2.67 hits --> 2.22 wounds

And considering that you save 5 points per model if you don't use big choppas, I'd say that they're really not worth it, unless you're really picky about wound allocation.

Against T3, it goes in slugga and choppa's favour even more, so much so that not just cost is in the favour of the sluggas/choppas, but wounds as well:

Slugga and Choppa:
5 attacks --> 3.33 hits --> 2.78 wounds

Big Choppa:
4 attacks --> 2.67 hits --> 2.22 wounds

Only thing Big choppas are better against are T5+. But most things like that are usually better taken care of with a powerklaw.

Offline OD from TV

• Ork Warlord | Title of Doom status: pending | KoN Veteran
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • OD's Project Blog
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2009, 03:33:31 PM »
Powerklaws are dead killy, Big Choppas are fast, and Slugga Choppa, well should really be reserved for Slugga boyz.

Fafnir you bring up good points, however as good as everyone on the boards is, we all miss getting the charge off in one instance or another *cough Hormagaunts cough*.  And remember that the list in question does not have transports.  What is better the Big or regular Choppa?  Its not really an answerable question as people need to make their own individual minds on them.

Since there is such a high number of Big Choppas, perhaps its a thematic army based around Blood Axes and we just don't know it.  O.I.C. mentioned that it isn't his army, but rather a friend of his, who (despite all our best intents) might not get the advice we write, and if he does he will probably take it with a grain of salt.

In anycase, I still stand by my original assessment of the army in that it needs some meat and potatoes as it is an unbalanced list that really needs some work.

Peace
~OD
Truly beautiful work. That's the kind of stuff that makes a true mekanik cry tears of joy.
OD, you once again prove that your are still the freakin Da Vinci of plasticard