News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 65th Aniversery of Executive Order 9066  (Read 3919 times)

Offline Kojiro

• Battles are not won on strength alone
65th Aniversery of Executive Order 9066
« on: February 19, 2007, 03:24:51 AM »
Well, its been 65 years since the infamous order of Executive Order of 9066.  A dark stain in America's history.  For those of you that do not know, it was the order that sent loyal American Citizens to internment camp do their race.  I feel its appropriate to post this since it seems to have relevance to our current era.  May we learn from the past so history does not repeat itself. 

Grandson of a Japanese Internment Camp Detainee and distant relative of a member of the 442

Offline Captain Hajime

• 1st Regiment Fuji System
    • Captain Hajime's Warhammer Web site
Re: 65th Aniversery of Executive Order 9066
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2007, 07:35:27 PM »
Let me say Canada did it worse!

now another part of me wants to say cane we move on about it. One thing to know history another to bash it in people's head until they stop caring anymore.
"Men from different wordls, with different views, bound together by loyality to the Emperor. This is what we have become." Captain Hajime
"I have remembered, I do remember, I will always remember."
Imperial Guard, Space marines and Ork Collector.
First Fuji Regiment W: 0 L:     2 D: 4
Tenno No Samurai W: 1 l: 5 D: 7

Offline Devern, The Unsung Hero

• I will slumber until called upon
  • Ancient
  • Look out Boys, I'm coming
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2007, 03:58:57 AM »
It's something to remember.  As much as I hate to agree with Hajime, Canada did perform its fair share of nasty acts during that time period.  I suggest reading the book called Obasan by Joy Kogawa.
Quote from: Sheep
FMG is a Swiss army knife. Always a tool, but with so many functions. And he fits right in your pocket.
I cut a hole in your head, using it as a hump-hole.[/color]
We have some messed up people here..

Offline Ollieb

• Ancient
  • I'm only here for the beer!
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2007, 09:59:34 AM »
This could be one black mark we did learn from though.  I know someone will find a way to argue the point but, at least every Mosque was closed and every Muslim in the US wasn't rounded up after 9-11 and locked away.
Looking for a compliment here is like looking for a girlfriend in a cemetary.  You know you will probably not like what you dig up, but you'll take it anyway.

Offline Captain Hajime

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2007, 07:14:57 PM »
I like to think that it was part of the reason Canada has such a open culture now to immagrants. [When memeber of the US Government and/or Press are not calling us a haven for Terrorists.]
"Men from different wordls, with different views, bound together by loyality to the Emperor. This is what we have become." Captain Hajime

Offline Devern, The Unsung Hero

• I will slumber until called upon
  • Ancient
  • Look out Boys, I'm coming
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2007, 07:48:50 PM »
While that's an entirely different debate, I'm pretty sure you're way off the mark.  Our acceptance of immigration can probably be rooted strictly economic reasons and population dynamics. 
Quote from: Sheep
FMG is a Swiss army knife. Always a tool, but with so many functions. And he fits right in your pocket.
I cut a hole in your head, using it as a hump-hole.[/color]
We have some messed up people here..

Offline Captain Hajime

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2007, 07:05:44 PM »
It's something to remember.  As much as I hate to agree with Hajime, Canada did perform its fair share of nasty acts during that time period.  I suggest reading the book called Obasan by Joy Kogawa.

I have, and I already admit that Canada did worse

Offline Kojiro

• Battles are not won on strength alone
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2007, 11:36:56 PM »
I do not know about Canada's WWII policy  Care to enlighten me.

Offline mightymurr

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2007, 12:07:56 AM »
We pretty much sent anyone Japanese, or of Japanese descent to rot in internment camps while the government took all their things. Even Canadian born citizens weren't safe. Someone else could probably explain it a lot better than me, though, but I tried.

Offline Captain Hajime

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2007, 07:08:19 PM »
We pretty much sent anyone Japanese, or of Japanese descent to rot in internment camps while the government took all their things. Even Canadian born citizens weren't safe. Someone else could probably explain it a lot better than me, though, but I tried.

Well It was really only done on the west coast, Japanese people in Toronto would have been safe but a huge percent lived with in 50 miles of the West Coast many were Fishermen, So when sent them into sub standard housing in the Interior of British Columbia. Thier houses and anything they couldn't take with them was to be held in trust but the government actually sold it off. After they war they basic were turned loose and left with little. It one of Biggest black marks in Canadian History and very much was worse than the US did. 1993 or so a settlement was reached with the Surviors about the amoun the government owed the Japanese people.

Offline Silences

« Reply #10 on: March 6, 2007, 10:05:31 PM »
It can be argued, historically, that our Executive Order did bring about few important civil rights issues in the 1960s. While it may not be the PRIMARY reason or contribution towards the movement towards protecting more civil liberties, it can be argued that the internment camps did cause people to take action. An example would be Supreme Court Justice Chief Warren that headed the decision in Brown v. Board of Education was the main prosecutor in the case of Korematsu v. US (the internment case that wasn't upheld). Some say that Warren's willingness to pass Brown was because many blamed him for the decision at Korematsu.
Hush....

Offline Battle Armour

• smoke dat kush
    • The Numa Numa song!!!
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2007, 04:28:50 AM »
Yeah, Canada screwed up. My great grandfather was sent to a camp for Italians during the war. Although the conditions were actually very reasonable, unlike the western camps.

Heres a related question, at what point does it become acceptable to take these kinds of precautions?
mmmmm canEHdian bacon
"Any society willing to trade a little freedom for a little security deserves neither and will lose both."
besides, it makes asking for pink sound a little more macho if its called 'Tentical Pink' 8)

It's Testicle Pink you fool!!!

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2007, 10:55:35 AM »
Heres a related question, at what point does it become acceptable to take these kinds of precautions?

If your primary focus is civil liberties the answer is never. If your primary focus is security the answer is when ever necessary. I'm personally more of a fan of never as I prefer people to actually be guilty of something before they're locked away but I'm sure other opinions will differ.
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline Captain Hajime

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2007, 11:29:42 PM »
Yeah, Canada screwed up. My great grandfather was sent to a camp for Italians during the war. Although the conditions were actually very reasonable, unlike the western camps.

I am on the fence about it, I noramlly want to say never, but i not sure if that realistic. I do have rpoblem with the don't give them back there stuff after we say the event is over.

Offline Chuckles, The Space Marine Clown

• Can't Touch This; Captain; Swarmlord - Tyranid Sweatshop Operator; 40KO's Official WMD; "No American orphans, please"
  • Ancient
  • I kill, maim and torture because I care
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2007, 11:40:41 PM »
XO 9066 wasn't a major issue purely because of the camps. Clearly that wasn't great but there were legitimate security concerns. It could have been handled better but the intent was reasonable (mostly). The really foul thing was the incompetence. Something around $2,000 mn (for clarity: a billion is a million million, i.e. 1,000,000,000,000. A trillion is a million million million, i.e. 1,000,000,000,000,000,000. Thank you) worth of possessions belonging to the Issei and Nissei were lost completely thanks to the order, due to possessions being taken from those interned and then essentially discarded and stolen.

Links: we look for them, so you don't have to

More specifically:
The excluded people suffered enormous damages and losses, both material and intangible... An analysis of the economic losses suffered as a consequence of the exclusion and detention was performed... the total losses of income and property fall between $810 million and $2 billion in 1983 dollars. It has not been possible to calculate the effects upon human capital of lost education, job training and the like...
The forum rules are fair and just. *twitch*

Offline The admin changed my name.

• The truth is out.
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2007, 04:29:32 AM »
I know this thread is kinda old, but I was reading and Anit Dev said something that I really needed to reply to.

If your primary focus is civil liberties the answer is never. If your primary focus is security the answer is when ever necessary.

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety"

I think this is an extremely pertinent point, especially with regards to the new war on terror in the US. In other words, revoking civil liberties is simply un-American to me.
George Bush does not care about black people.
-Kanye West

Offline Chuckles, The Space Marine Clown

• Can't Touch This; Captain; Swarmlord - Tyranid Sweatshop Operator; 40KO's Official WMD; "No American orphans, please"
  • Ancient
  • I kill, maim and torture because I care
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2007, 02:12:37 AM »
Your post would make more sense if you clarified which of the previous poster's points you were responding to, cause that's one hell of a deictic post you've got there.
The forum rules are fair and just. *twitch*

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2007, 11:11:14 AM »
Mine I believe.
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline The admin changed my name.

• The truth is out.
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2007, 01:20:39 AM »
Not my fault he changes his name :p
George Bush does not care about black people.
-Kanye West

Offline The_Outcast

• Infinity Circuit
  • I am the only one who left willingly.
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2007, 11:10:18 PM »
I would write the order in a heartbeat, Civil Rights don't mean jack when you are dead.

The_Outcast