News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 1500 pts. Craftworld (HM) for a newbie, campaign vs Tyr, MEQ, Orks  (Read 1566 times)

Offline antoniosulfo

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Hello everyone,
 I just started playing again after 15 years and a lot of things changed.

I have many miniatures and I am willing to buy those I miss.

I am looking for help with this build, I am gonna use it in a home made campaign, my friends will use Ultramarine, Tyranids, Imperial Guard and Orks.

We will be able to improve it as the campaign's turns pass, but I need a nice 1500 pts. army to begin with, it will be the "core" around wich I will build my army. We are free to use Unbound or any detatchment.

Please be patient with my newbie's mystakes  ;)

Core (775pts)
        Guardian Battlehost (775pts)
            Farseer (100pts)
            Witchblade

Guardian Defenders (90pts)

10x Guardian (90pts)
                Heavy Weapon Platform
                Shuriken Cannon

10x Guardian (90pts)
                Heavy Weapon Platform
                Shuriken Cannon

10x Guardian (90pts)
                Heavy Weapon Platform
                Eldar Missile Launcher

Vaul's Wrath Support Battery (165pts)
            D-Cannon (xpts), 3x Support Weapon (xpts)

Vyper Squadron (40pts)
                Vyper (40pts)
                Shuriken Cannon, Twin-linked Shuriken Catapult

War Walkers (200pts)
                War Walker (60pts)
                Scatter Laser, Shuriken Cannon

War Walker (70pts)
                2x Bright Lance (xpts)

War Walker (70pts)
                2x Bright Lance (xpts)

Auxiliary (456pts)
        Aspect Host (456pts)
        +1 Ballistic Skill

Howling Banshees (208pts)
            5x Howling Banshee (xpts)
                Howling Banshee Exarch (xpts)
                2x Mirrorswords (xpts)
                Wave Serpent (110pts)
                Twin-linked Shuriken Cannon, Twin-linked Shuriken Catapult

Warp Spiders (124pts)
            5x Warp Spider (95pts)
                Warp Spider Exarch (xpts)
                Death Spinner

Warp Spiders (124pts)
            5x Warp Spider (95pts)
                Death Spinner

Unbound Army (Faction) (Eldar Craftworlds: Codex (2015) v2020) (260pts)

Elites (260pts)
        Wraithblades (260pts)
        2x Ghostswords, 5x Wraithblade (xpts)
            Wave Serpent (110pts)
            Twin-linked Shuriken Cannon, Twin-linked Shuriken Catapult

1491/1500 Thanks a lot in advance to anyone willing to help me!
« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 01:25:13 PM by Irisado »

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Orks, Chaos Space Marines, Eldar, Dark Eldar
Re: 1500 pts. Craftworld (HM) for a newbie, campaign vs Tyr, MEQ, Orks
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2017, 08:25:52 AM »
Welcome back to the hobby. You've come back at a pretty exciting time with all the changes happening. Not a bad start for a list. Taking the host will definitely add to the speed of the army with matchless agility. A few suggestions, if I may.

The banshees are quick enough with matchless agility and battle focus that the wave serpent is unnecessary. Also having a single transport for your enemy to target makes it a prime candidate for first blood.

You may want to increase your threat range of the guardian's and swap the cannons for scatter lasers. And trade the EML in as well.

The EML would be better served on the vyper or war walkers. I'd choose the vyper. You can hide him easier and keep him in reserves to keep him safe, until a flyer comes on the board and then use him to beta strike the flyer. For the war walkers I'd take all brightlances. Being able to outflank with them, makes them ideal armour hunters, getting you in prime position for rest armour.

The wraithblades really seem out of place. I'd drop them and use their points and the dropped wave serpent to put together another aspect host that would take advantage of the matchless agility. Some swooping hawks, dark reapers, scorpions, and/or dire avengers would make a nice complement to the warhost you've put together.

Once you get started on your campaign, we'd love to hear some battle reports and see some photos. Good luck!

Offline antoniosulfo

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2017, 08:44:07 AM »
Welcome back to the hobby. You've come back at a pretty exciting time with all the changes happening. Not a bad start for a list. Taking the host will definitely add to the speed of the army with matchless agility. A few suggestions, if I may.

The banshees are quick enough with matchless agility and battle focus that the wave serpent is unnecessary. Also having a single transport for your enemy to target makes it a prime candidate for first blood.

You may want to increase your threat range of the guardian's and swap the cannons for scatter lasers. And trade the EML in as well.

The EML would be better served on the vyper or war walkers. I'd choose the vyper. You can hide him easier and keep him in reserves to keep him safe, until a flyer comes on the board and then use him to beta strike the flyer. For the war walkers I'd take all brightlances. Being able to outflank with them, makes them ideal armour hunters, getting you in prime position for rest armour.

The wraithblades really seem out of place. I'd drop them and use their points and the dropped wave serpent to put together another aspect host that would take advantage of the matchless agility. Some swooping hawks, dark reapers, scorpions, and/or dire avengers would make a nice complement to the warhost you've put together.

Once you get started on your campaign, we'd love to hear some battle reports and see some photos. Good luck!

Thanks a lot @dog_of_war!

I will make the changes you suggested. I spent my points poorly on the wraithblades, cause I still need to get along with all new mechanics and eldar's stats, I am trying to study the codex and 40konline forum but there are a lot of stuff you need to know to play this game properly, feeling kind of overwelmed  :)

I will do my best to keep you updated! ;)

Offline Fenris

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Eldar, Aeldari
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2017, 09:01:02 AM »
Hi and welcome back.
dog_of_war has some good points.

I agree with the Wraiths are a bit out of place, and single or few transports is not optimal. I also agree with BL on all war walkers and to take a second aspect host.
I agree on the H.banshees too, but as they have boosted BS and are mounted, maybe just grab the Triskele.

However I think the EML is best for the Guardian platforms it will provide you with some much needed anti-air when called for, combine this with a unit of hawks and you should basicilly have that covered. The shuriken cannon is nice if they are riding in Wave Serpents, but since you can get the costly EML's for free it's almost a no-brainer IMHO.

The D-cannons are nice, if you go up in points you can upgrade that farseer to Eldrad and have him scout the D-cannons forward to get in range. (or if you get that warlord trait)

Vypers I'd say EML or dual shuriken cannons, since EML's are dirt cheap for vypers, while dual shuriken canons makes your target priority simple.

If you go for a second aspect host you could go for +WS with H.banshees, Scorpions and a third unit. I suggest scorpions due to you have a lot of infantry, and they are pretty much selfsufficient, the claw on the exarch is costly but well worth it's points.
As for the third unit you could take D.avengers, shining spears or even W.spiders.
Ego in propria persona, non compos mentis.

Offline antoniosulfo

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2017, 09:11:48 AM »

However I think the EML is best for the Guardian platforms it will provide you with some much needed anti-air when called for, combine this with a unit of hawks and you should basicilly have that covered. The shuriken cannon is nice if they are riding in Wave Serpents, but since you can get the costly EML's for free it's almost a no-brainer IMHO.

@Fenris Thanks a lot to you too Fenris. You have a point about the guardian's platform: they are free so it would be nice to have something really expensive and devastating on them. Maybe I should diversify the platform's weapons.

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2017, 11:57:02 AM »
Hey Antonio, welcome back to the hobby. The game is crazy right now, but super fun and Eldar are on top of the world! I really like your list... its perfect for a good fun campaign, but its got some nastiness in there too with the Warp Spiders and D-Cannons.

I agree with Fenris and Dog of War on all points.

Great to see you running a Warhost too... perfect for all those Guardians.

I also would recommend Eldrad for this army too... his Scout moves would be a huge boon to not only the D-Cannons but also the Guardians.

I like the volume of EML too... if you are gonna face Tyranids, expect to face Flying Hive Tyrants which are nasty as all get out.

I whole heartedly endorse Striking Scorpions myself. The Exarch with a Claw is just beastly especially since he strikes at Initiative with his claw now... I'd definitley run them alongside the Banshees any day of the week. I've had an epic run of success with them and can't recommend them enough.

I'm sure you'll see this around the internet but as you expand your force take a look at Jetbikes and perhaps some of the Forge World units like Hornets, Warp Hunters etc.

Imperial Armor 11: Doom of Mymeara is also a fanastic purchase... they have expanded and unique Eldar Warhost options in that book that may suit you better.

But as it stands now I love your list and its a perfect way to dive back into the hobby. Good luck in your campaign and make sure to keep us posted how it goes. If you have any further questions we are all more than willing to help fill you in on any questions you may have. Good luck and welcome back!  ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 11:58:11 AM by Cavalier »
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline antoniosulfo

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2017, 12:52:32 PM »
@Cavalier

Thanks a lot Cavalier, I really need all the help that I can get at this moment :D

After your suggestions I changed some stuff, now the list looks like this:

Core (865pts)

Guardian Battlehost (865pts)

Farseer (115pts)
The Spirit Stone of Anath'lan (15pts), Witchblade

X 3 Guardian Defenders (90pts)
    10x Guardian (xpts)
    Heavy Weapon Platform
    Eldar Missile Launcher

Vaul's Wrath Support Battery (165pts)
D-Cannon (xpts), 3x Support Weapon (xpts)

Vyper Squadron (105pts)

Vyper (55pts)
Eldar Missile Launcher (xpts), Twin-linked Shuriken Catapult
Vyper (xpts)
Bright Lance (xpts), Twin-linked Shuriken Catapult

War Walkers (210pts)
War Walker (xpts)
2x Bright Lance (xpts)

War Walker (xpts)
2x Bright Lance (xpts)

War Walker (xpts)
2x Bright Lance (xpts)

Auxiliary (635pts)

Aspect Host (320pts)
+1 Ballistic Skill

Dire Avengers (80pts)
4x Dire Avenger (xpts)
Dire Avenger Exarch (xpts)
Twin-linked Avenger Shuriken Catapult (xpts)

Warp Spiders (120pts)
4x Warp Spider (xpts)
Spinneret Rifle (xpts)

Warp Spiders (120pts)
4x Warp Spider (xpts)
Spinneret Rifle (xpts)

Aspect Host (315pts)
+1 Weapon Skill
Howling Banshees (xpts)
4x Howling Banshee (xpts)
Howling Banshee Exarch (xpts)
Power Sword and Shuriken Pistol

Striking Scorpions (125pts)
4x Striking Scorpion (xpts)
Striking Scorpion Exarch (xpts)
Scorpion Chainsword, Scorpion's Claw (xpts)

Swooping Hawks (115pts)
4x Swooping Hawk (xpts)
Swooping Hawk Exarch (xpts)
Power Sword (xpts), Sunrifle (xpts)

I am still not totally sure about x2 warp spiders and the second Vyper and I would love to stick Eldrad in this build.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 01:27:30 PM by Irisado »

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2017, 01:30:25 PM »
Welcome to 40K Online Antonio.  You may have noticed that I have edited out the upgrade points from your army lists.  This is because they cannot be posted, owing to GW's copyright rules (please see forum rule 1 for further details).  Please post unit totals only from now on.  Thank you.
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline antoniosulfo

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2017, 02:04:15 PM »
Welcome to 40K Online Antonio.  You may have noticed that I have edited out the upgrade points from your army lists.  This is because they cannot be posted, owing to GW's copyright rules (please see forum rule 1 for further details).  Please post unit totals only from now on.  Thank you.

I am so sorry, didn't mean to break any rule, thanks for correcting my post @Irisado.

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2017, 02:04:33 PM »
I think if I were you, I'd drop the second Vyper, drop the 3rd War Walker beef up the Scorpions and try and squeeze Eldrad in there. You've got a good amount of anti-tank via the D-Cannons, Bright Lances, and mass EML's. By increasing the number of bodies in the Scorpions you can be aggressive with them which is important, but also to keep a shield of bodies up to protect the Exarch. Plus all the extra attacks are huge. I'd also drop the twin linked Shuriken catapuls, Sunrifle, Spinerette Rifle too and get that Hawk unit up to 6 men so you can drop the big blast template when you deep strike in. That is HUGE! Trust me... I run Hawks all the time and their Grenade Attack is their most potent offensive ability... you want that to be maxed out.

The weapon upgrades on the Exarchs always seem a bit redundant especially when you are BS5+  and have a Farseer supporting you. The only thing I ever hand out to my Exarchs is the Claw for the Exarch and occasionally a power weapon to the Hawk Exarch as his 18" movement is fantastic for skirmishing with Guard type units or small MEQ's.

Also definitely keep the 2x Warp Spiders, that's a really nasty combo with incredible threat radius... and it gives a somewhat casual list a really potent edge.

Please feel free to post more questions... always happy to help!  ;D

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline antoniosulfo

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2017, 02:46:02 PM »
May I put Eldrad in the guardian battlehost instead of a general Farseer?
If that's possible I rearranged the army, I still have 8 points to spend. I removed one Vyper and one War Walker and the exarch's weapons, scorpions are now 8 (7+exarch), hawks are 6 (5+exarch) and I added the chief Farseer of the Ulthwé Craftworld :)

Speaking about Psychic Powers I personally love Invisibility and Shrouding, I would love to use them in this army, but I am afraid that my farseer will be more useful away from the fight.

Guardian Battlehost (825pts)

Eldrad Ulthran

Guardian Defenders
10x Guardian (x3)
Heavy Weapon Platform
Eldar Missile Launcher
Guardian Defenders

Vaul's Wrath Support Battery
D-Cannon, 3x Support Weapon

Vyper Squadron
Vyper
Eldar Missile Launcher, Twin-linked Shuriken Catapult

War Walkers
War Walker (x2)
2x Bright Lance

Auxiliary (667pts)

Aspect Host (285pts)
+1 Ballistic Skill

Dire Avengers
4x Dire Avenger
Dire Avenger Exarch
Avenger Shuriken Catapult

Warp Spiders
4x Warp Spider
Warp Spider Exarch
Death Spinner

Warp Spiders
4x Warp Spider
Warp Spider Exarch
Death Spinner

Aspect Host (382pts)
+1 Weapon Skill

Howling Banshees
4x Howling Banshee
Howling Banshee Exarch
Power Sword and Shuriken Pistol

Striking Scorpions
7x Striking Scorpion
Striking Scorpion Exarch
Scorpion Chainsword, Scorpion's Claw

Swooping Hawks
5x Swooping Hawk
Swooping Hawk Exarch
Power Sword, Sunrifle

As always a big thank to you :)

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Orks, Chaos Space Marines, Eldar, Dark Eldar
« Reply #11 on: March 1, 2017, 10:51:17 PM »
You have to take Eldrad under Heroes of the Craftworlds section of the warhost, so unfortunately, you still need to include a vanilla farseer.  :'(

I'd not drop more to fit Eldrad, but save the points to add some more models to some units, particularly the dire avengers. MSU is great for hiding your units, but those avengers really just shine at a higher model count. The are usually ignored by the opposition as they usually would focus on some of the more famous nasty eldar units like spiders and hawks. Most opponents forget about how devastating bladestorm can be.

Offline antoniosulfo

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #12 on: March 3, 2017, 09:36:54 AM »
Here I am with a little recap: I won the my first battle against imperial guard, it was not that easy but both my spiders and my hawks did their job. The hard part was taking care of the quadgun turret, on turn 4 it collapsed.

Soon I'll have to fight my friend's Ultramarine Army and he will pop a lot of free pods. Campaign rules give me 2 options: wait to have enough points to build a second army ad hoc for them or try my best with what I have got, but I don't know if my on foot army can handle them.

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
« Reply #13 on: March 6, 2017, 05:47:33 AM »
Here I am with a little recap: I won the my first battle against imperial guard, it was not that easy but both my spiders and my hawks did their job. The hard part was taking care of the quadgun turret, on turn 4 it collapsed.

Soon I'll have to fight my friend's Ultramarine Army and he will pop a lot of free pods. Campaign rules give me 2 options: wait to have enough points to build a second army ad hoc for them or try my best with what I have got, but I don't know if my on foot army can handle them.

Congratulations on the first win antonio. Spiders tend to shine against anyone, but Hawks really shine against Guard. They also look really cool, so there's that too  ;)

As for the game against the Guard, I'm fairly sure that some of our better Eldar Generals will have more valid guidance to give, but I think that you could still play them now and compete.

I think that you have some decent options to Beta strike the marines and put a severe dent in his force. With the Spiders, Hawks and Walkers coming in via deepstrike or via outflank, you should be able to come in a neutralize a good chunk of the marine force. You have to remember that, if the marine player doesn't wipe you out when he hits the table, he is left with what is a largely static force with a limited threat range. If you can weather the storm before countering hard, you could well isolate and destroy his drop elements piecemeal.

Sure, you could wait and tailor your force especially for the marine contest, but you could also employ Eldar Arrogance and go in with the forthright knowledge that you will defeat the barbarian Mon'keigh!
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #14 on: March 6, 2017, 06:59:39 AM »
Hey thats great Antonio! Guard against Footdar is not easy! Congrats on the win.

Yes... to echo Looshkin's advice... use reserves to dodge his alpha strike from his Drop Pods... an Autarch goes a long way to pulling this off. But I've found reserve manipulation beta-strikes really throw Space Marine players off their game.

I'd put everything but the Scorpions and Warp Spiders in reserves... they are great at holding the fort. Make sure to infiltrate your Scorpions in cover for stealth+shrouded and keep your Spiders near LOS blocking terrain to flicker-jump behind and you'll be fine. It may seem nerve wracking at first but when all those pods come and have nothing to shoot at or  dudes in 2+ cover you can come wheeling in and counter-punch him into oblivion. Good luck!