News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Dog of War's Multiple Army Project (Ork, Nurgle, Eldar, Dark Eldar)  (Read 57478 times)

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
Re: Dog of War's Multiple Army Project (Ork, Nurgle, Eldar, Dark Eldar)
« Reply #140 on: March 19, 2017, 08:08:08 AM »
Wow sounds like an awesome vacation. Never been ice fishing... but I'd love to do that sometime. Glorious!

Hmmm couldn't find the Kopta's on page 2... but were you referencing the Deff Dreads? I think both of those paint schemes look awesome. Either one would do... I think having a mix of them would be funny... like the Orks dont understand camoflage, they just think if you paint camouflage (regardless of color) somehow it'll help.

Also checking back to find those Koptas I saw some of your old chaos stuff.... wow I forgot about those models. Boy do they look freaking awesome. The Spawn and the Terminators are so freaking sweet.... what an awesome chaos army.

Anyway great stuff bud. Cant wait to see those koptas join the ranks. Also I'd love to see a group shot of your chaos stuff... if you get the time of course. Anyway keep it up DoW!
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
« Reply #141 on: March 20, 2017, 04:14:13 AM »
Entertaining the kids, beers with friends and ice fishing instead of painting? Sounds like you're winning to me. Excellent use of a holiday DoW!
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Orks, Chaos Space Marines, Eldar, Dark Eldar
« Reply #142 on: April 16, 2017, 09:55:12 AM »
I'm always cursed with the need to batch paint units, hence the slow posts. I've finally got my ten deff koptas to a point where I can finish each one off in a few hours,  so I'll try and post them as they come off the assembly line. Here's the first one. I'm not totally stoked about the paint chips, but as a first attempt I'm satisfied with it.

« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 10:14:18 PM by dog_of_war »

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #143 on: April 16, 2017, 11:05:37 AM »
Hey Dog of War!
Micky Mouse looking paint and custom jobs you have here, mate. A unique body of work. I couldn't get that much done when the kids were at hope. You can see just how much you enjoy our hobby through every photo. Enjoyed perusing. Looking forward to more. Till then... Pointy ears forever!! 

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #144 on: April 16, 2017, 11:52:48 AM »
Nice! I love the way the stripes look hand-painted :)
Check out my Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders :)

Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders!

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #145 on: April 16, 2017, 12:35:21 PM »
Brilliant work Dog_of_war I really like how ramshackle they look.

I'm not totally stoked about the paint chips, but as a first attempt I'm satisfied with it.

I am definitely no expert but it looks good to me. They only thing I would say is that usually paint chips are painted as if you can see the bare metal underneath the chip but on your rotors it looks quite blue where the paint has chipped. This gives the effect of peeling paint rather than chipped paint I feel.

Micky Mouse looking paint and custom jobs you have here, mate.

How rude, where I come from Mickey Mouse means substandard or poorly executed.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2017, 05:05:39 PM by Alienscar »
Quote from: Starrakatt
"Russ, get your work done or you won't see your damn console for the next month!"
Quote from: Cavalier
Honestly Alienscar, we get it... you dont like painting!

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #146 on: April 16, 2017, 12:48:08 PM »
Alienscar: Where I come from, it means top notch.
Don't know why or how it came to be, it just is. I find the same saying having a different meaning across the globe fascinating.

My sincere regrets if this has offended anybody.   

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #147 on: April 16, 2017, 01:45:23 PM »
Looking fantastic DoW. I really like the paint jobs. The camo, the rust effects, the skin tone, the chipping all really, really nice DoW. Totally nailed it bud. I love your Ork army, they just keep getting better. Keep it up! Can't wait to see the rest of them!

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Roboknee77

• Ork Boy
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Armies: Orks, Sisters
« Reply #148 on: April 16, 2017, 02:40:35 PM »
Looking good Dog_of_War.  Love the strips.  And like what the other said, the chipping is rather orky. 

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #149 on: April 17, 2017, 04:12:50 AM »
I think that looks great DoW! Really Orky, which is the main thing with Orks! I really like the bare metals in particular. The weathering is brilliant, with really believable chips and bare metal parts. I think that is executed really well. The Ork looks fantastic - good skin tones and colour contrasts really help to add a good focal point to the model. The blue/white 'camo' is also really nicely done.

Excellent work all round DoW! Keep it up!

I am definitely no expert but it looks good to me. They only thing I would say is that usually paint chips are painted as if you can see the bare metal underneath the chip but on your rotors it looks quite blue where the paint has chipped. This gives the effect of peeling paint rather than chipped paint I feel.

Yeah, you'd normally have the first layer of weathering being the 'base' colour. That is, whatever was painted first onto the model before the blue or white was added. With Ork (and most tbh) vehicles, a small amount of black or brown usually fits best. That way, the initial scrapes represent the top layer of paint coming off. Then, within that weathering, you use a little silver. That represents all if the paint being damaged until only the bare metal shows.

I think DoW has done a really nice effect though, totally in keeping with the style of the model.

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #150 on: April 17, 2017, 09:31:13 PM »
Thanks everyone for the thumbs ups! Don't worry Saim-dann, I had assumed that it was a geographical difference in cultural references.

As for the model, the camo pattern is made of Shadow Grey and Space Wolf Grey. I did have a tough time picking a colour to do the paint chips with. I had tried using a flat black, but the contrast was too harsh, so I decided to stick with the grey theme and did it with Mechanicus Standard Grey. I was really happy with the contrast, so I've decided to stick with that colour going forward for future paint jobs. It is tough to see from the photos, but each chip does have a metal highlight of Mithril Silver. You can see it a little better in my next model.

Finished my second kopta. The photos need a little colour correction, as the pylon orange is showing a little more yellow. I've also tried basing them, but I'm having a heck of a time getting PVA glue to stick to the flying bases. I think I'll need to prime them first and then try and base them. I've decided that each kopta will be a unique colour and camo pattern. Hopefully it still translates as a cohesive paint scheme. I do run them for the most part in single or double model units, so I didn't feel that they needed to keep with squad identifying patterns.

« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 10:09:35 PM by dog_of_war »

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #151 on: April 17, 2017, 11:17:25 PM »
I like these colours, Dod of War. The Ork really stands out. Sometimes they get lost in the mayhem of colour. Their going to look good as a pack.

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #152 on: April 18, 2017, 04:10:30 AM »
That 2nd one is helluva cool! Great colors and you're right, the chips stand out a lot better on this one. Looks great.

You're right about the flying bases too. Prime then first, then you can get your basing materials to stick.

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #153 on: April 18, 2017, 02:16:29 PM »
Wow! Killer, killer colors! I love camo patterns in 40k... tiger stripe camo is so underrated. I really want to do some Corsairs with tiger camo.

Brilliant colors DoW and excellent execution. The rust work and weathering is great too. Rolling buddy, keep it up!

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #154 on: April 18, 2017, 05:38:09 PM »
Great work, got to love some shinny dakka.

Offline Aurics Pride

• Aspect Warrior
  • I tread the hidden path.....
  • Armies: Eldar, Raven Guard, Slaanesh
« Reply #155 on: April 19, 2017, 05:06:05 AM »
Love it!
You've managed to make them look very Orky without going too busy or chaotic. They'll really stand out on the tabletop!
+++ VICTORUS AUT MORTIS +++

My Army Blog (Corsair & Raven Guard: Here

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #156 on: April 19, 2017, 11:59:59 AM »
That latest one is extra great! The front panel has an almost old-school land of the rising sun flag look about it :) i like it :)
Check out my Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders :)

Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders!

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #157 on: April 21, 2017, 11:40:47 AM »
Thanks for all the encouragement guys! I'm glad you are liking the colour/camo schemes that I've chosen and the weathering is translating in the photos. It's hard not to add more rust or chips, as it definitely makes the model more realistic, but I'm constantly afraid that it will eventually take away from the paint job. I'm trying to live by the mantra 'less is more' and keep telling myself I can add more later.

Here's the next one up for review. Only seven more to go. Let me know if they start getting boring or repetitive.

« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 10:05:10 PM by dog_of_war »

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #158 on: April 21, 2017, 09:37:57 PM »
This is my favourite, Dog of War. The brown commo paint job, recycled armour from an IG wreck? Very nice. With the improvement of each one, mate, they definitely cannot become boring nor repetitive.

The Ork player of our group has a cheeky streak. If he wrecks one of our tanks and wins the game, we can be sure to be facing that same tank Orkified the next game.

Keep them coming, DoG!     

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #159 on: April 22, 2017, 03:23:13 AM »
This guy is straight out of Gorka Morka! He's very cool DoW. I like the camp - it's very Desert Rats...I can definitely picture this guy swooping low over sand dunes trying to get the jump on enemy transports. The red spot colour is excellent too. I also really like the weathering, particularly on the skids. Looks very realistic to me!

Good job DoW, keep them coming...and who cares if we get bored of Gyrocopters*? It's you Plog, last time I checked!

*Please note, I'm far from bored. I love the gyrocopter models...it's criminal that they never got a stand alone release. Keep em coming!