News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 2,000 pts Mechanized Eldar  (Read 1385 times)

Offline Blazinghand

• Warlock | Master of the Ravenwing
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Die for the Emperor or die trying!
  • Armies: Eldar, Orks
2,000 pts Mechanized Eldar
« on: January 9, 2018, 05:19:10 PM »
Hi 40konline, after the previous tournament I played at, I realized the list I was using had a pretty significant hole. It lacked the ranged or mobile anti-tank needed to deal with flyers. Here's the list I used:

1996 pts - 1 Battalion, 1 Vanguard of Ulthwé

++HQ++ - 277
Autarch on foot with Star Glaive, Relic Wings, Warlord: Fate Reader
Eldrad Ulthran
Warlock with Witchblade
++TROOPS++ - 188
5 Dire Avengers, 1 is Exarch with 2 Shuriken Catapults
5 Dire Avengers, 1 is Exarch with 2 Shuriken Catapults
5 Rangers
++ELITES++ - 1010
5 Fire Dragons, 1 is Exarch with DB Flamer
5 Fire Dragons, 1 is Exarch with DB Flamer
5 Wraithguard with D-Scythes
5 Wraithguard with D-Scythes
8 Wraithguard with Wraithcannons
++DEDICATED TRANSPORT++ - 536
Wave Serpent with Twin Shuriken Cannons, Shuriken Cannon

Each Wave Serpent would either carry 5 Fire Dragons + 5 Dire Avengers, or 5 D-Scythe Wraithguard. Rangers would go in reserve, and 8 Wraithguard with Wraithcannons would use Webway strike. I'd run the 4 Wave Serpents at the enemy, jump out my units, bring in the Webway Strike Wraithguard, and start shooting.

This list ran into serious problems dealing with flyers like Space Marine Fire Raptors, Tau Tiger Shark Fighter-Bomber, Imperial Guard Vultures. A careful opponent can simply keep away from my Wraithguard and Fire Dragons with their fast units, though the Wraithguard will usually be able to drop in and kill one thing. I have been thinking about how to change this to be more capable of dealing with threats like that. Here are two options I am considering.

1: Swap out the 8 Wraithguard for 2 Crimson Hunters.

FIREPOWER: 2 Crimson Hunters have the same number of shots as 8 Wraithguard, and those shots are slightly worse, but still quite good against tanks. On top of that, they are quite effective against flyers due to their special rules.

DURABILITY: 2 Crimson Hunters are about as durable as 8 Wraithguard in terms of T, W, and Sv, and they are harder to hit, though they are more susceptible to multiple damage weapons like Lascannons.

REACH: 2 Crimson Hunters can shoot anything on the table any turn starting from turn 1 due to their speed and range.

2: Swap out the 8 Wraithguard for 10 Dark Reapers, and increase the size of each Fire Dragon squad by 1.

FIREPOWER: This increases the number of anti-tank shots both by strengthening the Fire Dragon squads and by adding a big squad of Dark Reapers. This will be more firepower, even accounting for the lower AP of Dark Reapers, and will be more flexible. This is a significant increase in firepower.

DURABILITY: The 10 Dark Reapers can start in reserve, and can be easily screened by Dire Avengers or Rangers if need be. However, this change basically changes out 24 wounds of very tough Wraithguard for 12 squishy aspect warrior wounds (even if the armor saves are good), vastly decreasing durability.

REACH: While not quite as good as Crimson Hunters, Dark Reapers have great reach with their guns and will be able to shoot most enemies on the board that are not out of LoS

3: Swap out the 8 Wraithguard for 2 Fire Prisms.

FIREPOWER: 2 Fire Prisms, if they used the Linked Fire Stratagem, Grinding Advance, and stay still, when shooting their Focussed shots, have a damage output similar to Wraithguard. On top of that, they have chin mounted shuriken weapons and the ability to use alternative firepower modes. This is a similar amount of firepower, but with more flexiblity and a higher CP cost.

DURABILITY: 2 Fire Prisms have the same number of wounds as 8 Wraithguard, but have better Toughness, which helps against Autocannons, Multilasers, and the like. Like Crimson Hunters, they are more susceptible to multi-damage weapons like Lascannons than Wraithguard are.

REACH: Better reach than Fire Dragons due to higher range and more mobility, but worse than Crimson Hunters which can shoot anyone on the board.

I'm currently considering the Crimson Hunters, which seem like they would be reliable and fast enough to keep up with enemy flyers. The Dark Reapers seem too fragile for the style of army I want to play. Fire Prisms could also work, though, and it would be fun to deploy 6 Hover Tanks as my army. What do you think?
Quote from: Howard Zinn
There is no flag large enough to cover the shame of killing innocent people.

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
Re: 2,000 pts Mechanized Eldar
« Reply #1 on: January 9, 2018, 06:18:26 PM »
I think Hemlocks are a better bet then Crimson hunters. They don't need to roll to hit, so they are fantastic at shooting fliers, and can do a lot of damage. Plus, they can smite and cast other support powers too.

Fire Prisms are also fantastic. I had the misfortune to play against them recently, and they are very deadly, and are good at multiple roles.

I personally think cannon wraithguard are better than d-scythes, Especially if you drop them from the webway. I'd almost be inclined to keep the one 8 man squad, and drop both 5 man squads.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Blazinghand

• Warlock | Master of the Ravenwing
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Die for the Emperor or die trying!
  • Armies: Eldar, Orks
« Reply #2 on: January 9, 2018, 06:26:27 PM »
I think Hemlocks are a better bet then Crimson hunters. They don't need to roll to hit, so they are fantastic at shooting fliers, and can do a lot of damage. Plus, they can smite and cast other support powers too.

Fire Prisms are also fantastic. I had the misfortune to play against them recently, and they are very deadly, and are good at multiple roles.

I personally think cannon wraithguard are better than d-scythes, Especially if you drop them from the webway. I'd almost be inclined to keep the one 8 man squad, and drop both 5 man squads.

I could also drop a D-Scythe Squad for a Hemlock Wraithfighter, which is just about the same cost. This would leave me with an empty Wave Serpent, which I could trade for 2 more Wraithcannon Wraithguard and a couple extra Fire Dragons.

I could drop both D-Scythe Squads, and either:
1) Take a Hemlock Wraithfighter, and 2x5 Fire Dragons to fill the empty serpents
2) drop a serpent, also, and take 2 Helmock Wraithfighters and 6 Fire Dragons to fill the one empty serpent

I'm kind of worried that 1 Hemlock Wraithfighter alone won't do it for me, since I don't have a lot of long range shooting to support it with, so the last option might be the best.
Quote from: Howard Zinn
There is no flag large enough to cover the shame of killing innocent people.

Offline Fenris

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Eldar, Aeldari
« Reply #3 on: January 9, 2018, 06:50:19 PM »
Out of your 3 choices I would definitely go for 2 crimson hunters. If you are to trade a unit of scytheguard for a hemlock though I thing you should consider the fire prisms and even war walkers(with brightlances) or even falcons.
Unless you are taking a full flyer wing with hemlock & 2 crimson hunters, in which case you could make them Alaitoc. However that would make taking objectives harder due to fewer boots on the ground.

Either way if you find you have some extra points to spare, splitting of 3 elite choices with a spiritseer in a vanguard detachment would give you an extra CP. (assuming you are allowed additional detachments)
Ego in propria persona, non compos mentis.