News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: New Necron Codex - Heavy Support Discussion  (Read 11550 times)

Offline Galef

Re: New Necron Codex - Heavy Support Discussion
« Reply #20 on: November 7, 2011, 12:57:17 PM »
Has anyone else noticed that since Spyders are no longer a "unit that always consists of 1 model", that IC's can now join them?
Glenn's GW model Blog: Glenn's GW Models

Current Armies:
Aeldari: Glenn's GW Minis: Eldar and Dark Eldar

Offline Changeyname

• Mek| I gotz da loudz WAAAAAAAAAAGH! | Battlefield Orkespondent | Best Modeller | This years Dizz (I lose by choice!)
  • Ancient
  • Wolverine or double Batman.... you decide
« Reply #21 on: November 7, 2011, 12:59:03 PM »
I think the confusion here is in the Dow rules
Remember that the units which are not deployed and arrive on turn 1 are NOT reserves, they only enter reserves if you declare they're going to during deployment

Hence the Monolith's rule about only being able to Deepstrike if kept in reserve doesn't come into play unless you CHOOSE to let it by specifically placing the Monolith into reserve

Oh and the thing is EXACTLY 6" wide/deep/long whatever so it'll be able to move onto the board unless the entire table edge is blocked horrendously
The Blackest Night falls from the skies,
The darkness grows as all light dies,
We crave your hearts and your demise,
By my black hand--The dead shall rise!

Offline Kaiju Senso

• Necrontyr Warrior
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Necrons, Guard, Tau, Marines
« Reply #22 on: November 7, 2011, 05:24:42 PM »
Has anyone else noticed that since Spyders are no longer a "unit that always consists of 1 model", that IC's can now join them?

Ya know, I did notice this in my first game but couldn't think of what type of HQ to add that would really benefit from the squad (or the other way around). I guess if you just wanted a big bad ass body guard unit then it would be great with a close combat set up. Perhaps with a Destroyer Lord you could use the Spyders as a temporary meatshield unit until you got close enough to strike, but honestly I feel Wraiths with Whip Coils would be a better unit. The Overlord will probably just get picked out in combat because it's a bit easier to kill with a lower toughness.

Then again you could equip the Spyders with Particle Beamers and then use a Lord to add a touch more shooty? Or attach Obyron and teleport around the battlefield, shooting up the enemy with the blast weapon and going for the assault next turn?

Offline sephiroa

• I am a nobody
« Reply #23 on: November 8, 2011, 02:29:00 PM »
i like every heavy choice, i'm cool with the nerf from the mono, but for a mono to get a mishap because he hits a models?? imho, that squad should take a dangerous terrain test for every model under it, on a 1, it was not fast enough to evade it and died. i mean c'mon, a big heavy tank like that, to get a mishap?

Offline Zilverscale

• Ork Boy
« Reply #24 on: November 9, 2011, 09:47:29 AM »
Am at work so this will go from top of head.

I dislike the monolith now...and am glad I did not buy 1 2 months ago.
The pro's it has now just simply do not weigh up against the cons....I mean DS mishaps and no more extra damage dice protection.
It's just to big a drawback for it's points.

The deathray (forgot name of vehicle)...do not like it, the ray is extremely short range and it does not have quantum shielding (if memory serves me right)
For it's price tag it should have gotten the shielding.

Spyders...will have to try them out ;)

PAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Kaiju Senso

• Necrontyr Warrior
  • Ancient
« Reply #25 on: November 9, 2011, 10:01:53 AM »
The death ray isn't that short of range. You add a random number of  inches to your standard pistol range. It could be crap but could also be huge!

I see the monoliths weakness as just standard land raider now but cheaper and can bring units to it from anywhere! Even off the table! But ya havin such short range means its probably dead quickly if you don't prepare to take out those melta weapons

Offline Zilverscale

• Ork Boy
« Reply #26 on: November 9, 2011, 10:21:39 AM »
The death ray isn't that short of range. You add a random number of  inches to your standard pistol range. It could be crap but could also be huge!

I see the monoliths weakness as just standard land raider now but cheaper and can bring units to it from anywhere! Even off the table! But ya havin such short range means its probably dead quickly if you don't prepare to take out those melta weapons

Ok so you, on average, add +/- 10 inch to your shot tha will only work if the enemy is nice and lines up his units.

The best way to use it is to make a ----- line instead of a straigth ongoing line.
(if I read it correctly you can so this with the weapon)
Here it suffers from the range drawback

Offline Kaiju Senso

• Necrontyr Warrior
  • Ancient
« Reply #27 on: November 9, 2011, 11:00:50 AM »
The best way to use it is to make a ----- line instead of a straigth ongoing line.
(if I read it correctly you can so this with the weapon)
Here it suffers from the range drawback

Not sure I understand what you mean here. You pick one point within the base range of the weapon, then another point a rolled number of inches away and make a straight line between the two?

Now lets say you rolled a solid 12 inches and can place it up to pistol range away from the gun, those 12 inches can hit an entire row of artillery for example. If you're playing against a heavy mech opponent (rhino rush or something similar) then they will probably be forced to deploy most of their vehicles close together at the start of the game so the quicker you can get the shot off the better. But to save the vehicle from getting kit early before it can shoot, deepstrike is the obvious option.

Offline Benis

• 77 Shades Of Decay | Lazerous Penguin | Death to the Emperor with a Pulse!
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Getkilling
« Reply #28 on: November 9, 2011, 11:04:32 AM »

What do you suggest by this? The line is a straight line between two points so how could you not make it a "straight ongoing line"?

Offline Zilverscale

• Ork Boy
« Reply #29 on: November 9, 2011, 11:08:21 AM »

What do you suggest by this? The line is a straight line between two points so how could you not make it a "straight ongoing line"?

What I mean is that I interpeted it as that it works like the Hellhound flame cannon,
You have X standard range, within that range first point goes.
You roll XdX to get the range you can put your second point.

So with a battlefield units are usually lined up besides eachother and not behind echother.
So putting the point to left or right of initial point would be best.

Offline Kaiju Senso

• Necrontyr Warrior
  • Ancient
« Reply #30 on: November 9, 2011, 11:12:15 AM »
What I mean is that I interpeted it as that it works like the Hellhound flame cannon,
You have X standard range, within that range first point goes.
You roll XdX to get the range you can put your second point.

So with a battlefield units are usually lined up besides eachother and not behind echother.
So putting the point to left or right of initial point would be best.

Correct, it does work like the Inferno Cannon but doesn't have the limit of the large end must be further from the tank then the small end (template) so you could shoot the Death Ray forward X inches and then drawn the line perpendicular to that if you really wanted.

I see the Doom Scythe as trying to flank and shoot at the enemy's side in which case you would probably aim the line straight out from the vehicle.
« Last Edit: November 9, 2011, 11:13:36 AM by Kaiju Senso »

Offline Benis

• 77 Shades Of Decay | Lazerous Penguin | Death to the Emperor with a Pulse!
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Getkilling
« Reply #31 on: November 9, 2011, 11:24:07 AM »

Well that is a lot clearer than the previous sentence. Basically make the damage line perpendicular to the range line. I thought you suggested something with gaps or some sort of strange thing. ;)

Offline Zilverscale

• Ork Boy
« Reply #32 on: November 9, 2011, 11:35:41 AM »

Well that is a lot clearer than the previous sentence. Basically make the damage line perpendicular to the range line. I thought you suggested something with gaps or some sort of strange thing. ;)

lol

Well if you field 3 and they move up as a front ;) then you can make some nifty math equations :P -X etc etc ;)

Offline Idaho

« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2011, 12:43:58 PM »
Necrons are an army which can get their Doom Scythes firing with some consistency.

Solar Pulse is cheap and can (should) be in every army. It creates a situation a model can move forward and hopefully be out of range from a whole bunch of enemy fire and then in the 2nd turn unleash it's fire with a healthy  move and  range.

Plus you can bet your opponents will want to fire their anti-light vehicle firepower at 10 Scarabs about to charge their vehicles, to cause instant death on them quickly. That means a Doom Scythe might just get into range to fire...

Or deep strike it?

We don't need the weapon stats. We know what it can do
« Last Edit: November 12, 2011, 02:16:43 PM by Barr'el O'Rum »

Offline SeriousCallersOnly

• Brother Sergeant
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • This is not a Space Marine
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Tyranids
« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2011, 02:33:10 PM »
Anyone else played with the Annihilation Barge yet? wondering which secondary weapon to go for.

Offline PhoenixLord1989

• The road of good intentions doesnt leadto anywhere
  • Armies: Eldar, D-Eldar, Dark Angels, Necron, and Tyranids
« Reply #35 on: November 12, 2011, 10:16:08 PM »
I think I am set with taking 3 squads of 3 spyders and give 2 of them the 2 different abilities for wound allocation along with 3 squads of 10 scarabs. That way i'm pumping out 9 scarabs a turn is just nasty.... Though I don't know where i'm going to get the money for this idea since the new spyders are going to be a pretty penny not to mention the scarabs lol.
"What do Humans know of our pain? We have sung songs of lament since before your ancestors crawled on their bellies from the sea."

"Ask not the Eldar a question, for they will give you three answers, all of which are true and terrifying to know."

"The stars themselves once lived and died at our command, yet you still dare to oppose our will."

Offline Kaiju Senso

• Necrontyr Warrior
  • Ancient
« Reply #36 on: November 12, 2011, 10:31:15 PM »
9 Spyders is a little much... especially with one of each upgrade in the squad. I tried 2 squads of 3, basic, and they did ok but I found my list a little better if I traded some Spyders for a little more ranged support. Plus if you use up all your Heavy slots on Spyders, you lose a lot of your best firepower. If the Spyders could make new units like the Tervigon, it would be a little more viable in my book. You can only have 3 units of Scarabs on the table, mind you they might be freaking huge XD

Offline Gutstikk

• Infinity Circuit | Title here to be dreaded 'til further notice. Rummy's Deepstriking Pylon
  • Ancient
  • I am a Wolf.
« Reply #37 on: November 12, 2011, 11:15:15 PM »
With the new codex even a close combat oriented army needn't rely solely on tomb spyders. You can still do some nasty steamrolling with them though. And they synergise with scarab swarms much better now since they can put a small squad over its original quantity; you really shouldn't feel like you have to pump points into a big scarab unit anymore so long as you've got spyders in the list.

Offline syth773

« Reply #38 on: November 14, 2011, 05:07:37 AM »
yea, the way I see it, if you are taking spyders in your list and are taking scarabs, plan out how many scarabs you want, then take 1 less scarab for each spyder as you'll be fielding.  essentially a big discount on your spyders.

The reason I personally think spyders are so awesome is that they are only 10 more points than a lychguard or pretorian.  with +1T, +1S, +2 wounds, MC status and the ability to pop out scarabs they are a steal.  sure their WS and BS are a little lower but I don't plan to take their particle beamer as it is so expensive, and they will still hit anything less than 7WS on a 4+.

10 lychguard is the same cost as 8 spyders (the spyders are actually cheaper than them if you factor in at least 1 free scarab), the only reason I don't buy tons of these things is that they are in probably the most competative army slot, heavy, competing with the monolith, annihalation barge, doomsday ark and death scythe, all of which I consider excellent vehicles.

I think I'll probably be getting 3 more spyders to add to my current 3 at some point, they will be very good in low point games, letting my focus on infantry and having them provide my close combat power.

Offline WilliamT

• "It's only a game"
« Reply #39 on: November 29, 2011, 10:50:16 AM »
Just finished reading the codex.  Thoughts on Heavy Supports: Doom Scythes look great on paper!

IMHO, the Doom Scythe appears to shine the brightest.  It is begging to be fielded in triplets in a game that is over 1500 points.  The other Heavy Support choices to me are red herrings.

I have not used these yet (because no models offered), but would like the opinions of seasoned players who have played them using proxied models.  What is your battle experience?

a) Do they work Deep Striking?  Given the melta-meta, it would appear they may just get 1 shot off.
b) What about using Solar Pulse as cover?