News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Captain Calamity's Kharadron Overlords (And Other Things)  (Read 62145 times)

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
Re: Captain Calamity's Kharadron Overlords (And Other Things)
« Reply #300 on: March 21, 2019, 08:37:41 PM »
Man, I'm loving these Celestial Lions the more I see them. That command group have such a regal air about them, in no small part to the color scheme you chose. They might not be finished yet, but they look awesome!

I'm also loving those Kharadron Overlords. It's funny that you took those images in that low light, because the highlights that were hard to see before are definitely plain to see now.

Now that Games Workshop has made it official that all of the older battletomes are being updated, I'm curious as to how the Overlords will be treated. I'm hopeful, GW seems to be making a really good point to take feedback for their armies! :)
JohnMaloneBooks website - Blog #3 - From Novella to Novel

- 5/5 Reader's Favorite Review!

A Sanctum of Swords: Embers Edition is coming soon w/ audiobook!

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #301 on: March 22, 2019, 11:04:05 AM »

I also managed to finally base these minis, months behind schedule:

(Image removed from quote.)

I have said elsewhere how I do not like the Overlord aesthetic, but your colour scheme actually makes me look at them differently.

I have said it before and I will say it again, for me, your colour scheme really makes the Overlords look like what I imagine a dwarf would look like.
Quote from: Starrakatt
"Russ, get your work done or you won't see your damn console for the next month!"
Quote from: Cavalier
Honestly Alienscar, we get it... you dont like painting!

Offline Calamity

• Concussor Concussed Dice | Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Cocking up miniatures since 1998
  • Armies: Kharadron Overlords, Bloodbound, Celestial Lions
« Reply #302 on: March 22, 2019, 02:36:00 PM »
@ Myen’Tal

Thank you!  That really means a lot to me! :)

And I can’t wait to see what they do with the KO’s second book too.  They’re such a cool army imo, but they aren’t performing the way they should.  But I’m confident that our time will come again!  8)

@ Alienscar

I’m chuffed to bits that my like my KO scheme that much! :)

I’ve had doubts about tuis scheme since the day I created it, but you’ve helped me burry them. :D

You want to know the inspiration for these guys?  Tik Tok, from Return To Oz.  That green, fantastical, mechanical astheical felt like a natural fit for the Overlords.  Plus, there’s ‘Victorian Tiles’, green ceramic tiles that are often found in London.  Very steampunk.  Plus, green isn’t really featured in any of the named sky ports, and if you’re doing your own, might as well go all out! :D

Also, another update:

He’s nearly done.  Just the skulls on his relic, his lieutenant stripe, his sword hilt and base to do. 

Then three more characters to do, and the starter set models are all finished! :D

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
« Reply #303 on: March 23, 2019, 07:29:37 AM »
Sometimes on these boards you see guys develop and blossom into really good painters. That normally stats with finding that *one* thing that they can just paint effortlessly and have it look brilliant.

For you Cap, that thing is Gold Marines. Brilliant, brilliant work. The colour balance is great, while all the metals look superb.

Terrific work my friend.
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #304 on: March 24, 2019, 07:55:09 PM »
Thank you so much Looshkin!  That really does mean the world to me! :)

Even though I haven’t had much of a chance to play 40k, I’m still throwing myself whole heartedly into painting these marines, because they’re just so fun to do!  ;D

So with that in mind, here’s what I’ve managed to do today:

More work on the Lieutenants.  They’re very nearly done, although I’ll have to pick up some more paints in order to finish them.

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
« Reply #305 on: March 24, 2019, 11:21:04 PM »
I gotta say how much I like your marines. Doing a metallic armor has always eluded me even with my Grey Knights, I used, well grey but am now thinking on silvers just because of what I've been watching here with yours. You've really got the worn look down now and the blue is the creme on top. Keep it up, teach us old dogs some new tricks.  8)
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #306 on: March 25, 2019, 06:18:05 AM »

And I can’t wait to see what they do with the KO’s second book

You want to know the inspiration for these guys?  Tik Tok, from Return To Oz.  That green, fantastical, mechanical astheical felt like a natural fit for the Overlords.  Plus, there’s ‘Victorian Tiles’, green ceramic tiles that are often found in London.  Very steampunk.  Plus, green isn’t really featured in any of the named sky ports, and if you’re doing your own, might as well go all out!

Really! I didn't expect to see someone that used to love Land Rovers also like the Wizard of Oz.

I get the link now that you have pointed it out. The Overlords definitely look a bit round and they also look a bit like robots.

Personally I think that you have nailed the steampunk asthetic.

More work on the Lieutenants.  They’re very nearly done, although I’ll have to pick up some more paints in order to finish them.

There is not much I can add to what Dread and Looshkin have already said, but damn these look fantastic.
"Russ, get your work done or you won't see your damn console for the next month!"

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #307 on: March 25, 2019, 01:04:37 PM »
@ Dread

Thank you mate!  I’m so happy I could be an inspiration!  :)

How would you go about doing the armour of your GK?

@ Alienscar

Oh I still love Land Rovers (and Jaaags...and Alfas), but I can vividly remember watching RTO as a child at my grans and being both fascinated and terrified by it in equal measure.  ;D

I felt like I was really taking a shot in the dark with that KO scheme, so it’s a real relief to hear that you think that it works!  ;D

I can’t wait to start the ships.  Will probably do them in the summer.

Oh, and here’s today’s update:

I tried something different with his gun; ivory covering.  I wanted him to really stand out, to look like a leader rather than just an unhelmeted Intercessor with a bigger base, hence the unique gun (which in my list is an artifact).  It does need some more work, but thoughts on the overall idea?

Then there’s the other one:

I’ve still to paint his helmet stripe, and skulls.  I’ve also encountered a problem with this one; I can’t fit the chapter symbol onto the left side shoulder pad.  I tried cutting one to fit but it just broke apart.  This will require a bit of rethink.  :P
« Last Edit: March 25, 2019, 01:06:49 PM by Calamity »

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #308 on: March 27, 2019, 12:16:18 PM »
Hey guys!  Sorry for the double post, but I’m lean to share my latest work:

Once he’s done, and the ancient is done, I’ll have finally finished all of the starter set Marines I have.  ;D

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #309 on: March 28, 2019, 06:08:35 AM »
(Image removed from quote.)

I tried something different with his gun; ivory covering.  I wanted him to really stand out, to look like a leader rather than just an unhelmeted Intercessor with a bigger base, hence the unique gun (which in my list is an artifact).  It does need some more work, but thoughts on the overall idea?

I like the idea of the ivory gun and I can see its potential. You have said that you think it needs more work and for me it is a little too translucent.

I’ve still to paint his helmet stripe, and skulls.  I’ve also encountered a problem with this one; I can’t fit the chapter symbol onto the left side shoulder pad.  I tried cutting one to fit but it just broke apart.  This will require a bit of rethink.  :P

Instead of cutting it to fit would shaving the underside of the symbol to make it thinner work?

Hey guys!  Sorry for the double post, but I’m lean to share my latest work:

Absolutely stunning work Calamity.

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #310 on: March 28, 2019, 08:46:10 AM »
Hi Calamity, great work on the Celestial Lions' command! The Lieutenants look primed and ready, but that Gravis Captain really stands out as the centerpiece of the army. Well done, that's how a Primaris Captain should look like! I think that's one of your best models so far! Maybe that's just my love for the model creating bias.

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #311 on: March 29, 2019, 07:56:45 AM »
@ Alienscar

Thanks for the advice!  :)  I’m working on making the Lieutenant’s gun more ‘opaque’, and I’m also going to see about shaving down the badge.  A round file might be best for that.  I can pick one up tomorrow.

@ Myen’Tal

Thanks very much bud!  :)

Please enjoy the latest updates on the Captain:

I just need to base him, touch up some bits, paint his scroll and sword hilt, and then paint his cloak.  Which I can’t decide what colour to paint.  Some friends recommended red.  What do you guys think?

Also, painting his right hand badge white seemed like a bit of a risk.  The way it’s sculpted, it’s attached to the edge, and should probably be the same colour.  However, it just didn’t stand out enough imo.

What do you guys think?  Was white a good choice?

Offline Dread

• Warlock
« Reply #312 on: March 29, 2019, 10:24:16 AM »
I'd go blue on the Cape, keep the colors. I mean red would be fine, hanging a shoot me sign on him, but would still look good. The white on the badge is perfect too.
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #313 on: March 29, 2019, 10:54:04 AM »
I agree with Dread on painting the cape blue, but I'm also going to add that black is also an option. It looks like black is the third color for the Celestial Lions, so I think that could work too. If you did that, I think painting the inside of the cloak a cream white would look great too.

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #314 on: March 30, 2019, 01:32:04 PM »

I just need to base him, touch up some bits, paint his scroll and sword hilt, and then paint his cloak.  Which I can’t decide what colour to paint.  Some friends recommended red.  What do you guys think?

Colour theory will tell you that red will work if it is part of a triadic colour scheme as will blue. If you only want to add one colour then colour theory suggests you use a complimentary or analogous colour. In the case of gold this would mean purple or yellow.

I like the colour of the cloak as it is now and I think that is because it is close to what colour theory calls monochromatic.

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #315 on: March 30, 2019, 03:32:08 PM »
Thank you for the advice guys.  Unfortunately, my phone was acting up last night and today, so I didn’t get a chance to read them until now.  And in the meantime, I...had already started on the cloak.  :P

I’m sorry about that.  I’m actually in a rush to finish these before my new job starts proper, and I just jumped in head first.

And here’s the result so far:

Looking at the Hammers Of Sigmar for inspiration (since they’re identical in scheme) I went with this white cloak idea.  I’ll probably still wonder if it was the right choice for a long long time.  :P

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #316 on: March 30, 2019, 08:27:06 PM »
In my book you get bonus points for a white cloak done that well :)

Offline Dread

• Warlock
« Reply #317 on: March 30, 2019, 09:31:48 PM »
Definitely 2 thumbs up! I like the light contrast to the armor colors, really doesn't distract but compliments. Well done.

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #318 on: April 2, 2019, 01:15:47 PM »
Thank you guys.   :)

Here’s my latest update:

That’s the three officers done and dusted (managed to fit a badge on that difficult shoulder pad after all).  Now all that’s left is the ancient, and that is the Dark Millennium set completely finished!  And all inside 2 years...a new record!  ;D

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #319 on: April 2, 2019, 07:17:13 PM »
Now all that’s left is the ancient, and that is the Dark Millennium set completely finished!  And all inside 2 years...a new record!  ;D

Are you painting your mini's in the order you get them?... I smell Heresy!!  ;)

Looking good mate keep it up.