News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Enhanced Edition Codices VS EPUB Versions  (Read 1654 times)

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
Enhanced Edition Codices VS EPUB Versions
« on: April 3, 2018, 03:18:42 AM »
Hi guys,

So in the current, I am a fan of Digital Rules bought and stored on one device. I mainly use the regular epub versions back when I had an android tablet. I do not have that tablet anymore and am thinking on upgrading to a more current one.

I am curious if anyone here uses or has used the Enhanced Edition 8th codices or the Age of Sigmar app for IPAD at all? I used to hear good things a couple years ago, but now I hear mixed reviews for most stuff that are the enhanced editions. Bad performance, typos, and omissions mostly. Is any of that true? Or do would you swear by your Enhanced rules? Is the extra premium price and the Apple device requirement worth the difference over Android?

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
Re: Enhanced Edition Codices VS EPUB Versions
« Reply #1 on: April 3, 2018, 07:02:08 AM »
I use the age of Sigmar app, and it's awesome. I don't pay for the azyr builder though, as warscroll builder is a thing.

I don't have an iPad, so I've never gotten an enhanced edition. Only heard good things about them though.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #2 on: April 3, 2018, 09:39:30 AM »
Good to know about the enhanced editions, I might try them out because they look really interesting. Yeah, I have the Age of Sigmar app too, though I have to use it on my phone for now and the text is so tiny that it's frustrating. I used Azyr a couple of times and I have to agree that it does nothing that Warscroll Builder cannot do better. Not really much point in paying for it.

The upcoming 40k app on the other hand might be worth a try (the paid one).

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #3 on: April 3, 2018, 05:37:51 PM »
Here is the list of features in the enhanced edition:

- Zoomable, pin-sharp photography, allowing you to appreciate the fine details of Citadel miniatures in a new light;
- a Glossary – tap terms and rules to see their details in an instant;
 - Scrolling text, designed to optimise the reading experience for your phone or tablet;
- Pop-up content – bring up extra information at a touch;
- Panoramic art and photography – designed to bring out detail in a way that makes the most of your display;
- Bookmarks – got a reference you need to use often? Add a bookmark and jump between your pages with a tap.

You can bookmark epubs/pdfs, you can also zoom and auto scroll text, it just depends on the app you use.

The pop up content (tap on keyword, etc) is kind of handy and having pictures you can rotate is nice.

The big advantage is the standard works on everything. If your an apple fan boy then it might be worth the extra coin, other wise its just easier to use the standard.

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #4 on: April 4, 2018, 05:19:08 AM »
Thanks for the breakdown, Magenb ;D, that answers my questions! I guess the decision lies in which type of tablet I prefer then. Thanks guys for the feedback!