News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Point Currency  (Read 972 times)

Offline Fenris

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Eldar, Aeldari
Point Currency
« on: January 16, 2018, 07:55:21 PM »
I've been thinking about the different types of points in 40k 8th ed. There are firstly "regular" points for matched play, then there is power points and their ratio is roughly 1:20 that is one powerpoint is roughly worth 20 regular points.

This would make a somewhat standard list to be composed by regular 2000points to be fairly equal to a list worth 100 power points.

However there are two other kinds of points used quite frequently namely command points and victory points.

How would you rate them in a pure currency transaction between the first two I mentioned?

A guess from the top of my head would be:
2000p = 100pp = 10cp = 10vp

There are of course a lot of ways to make each of these points worth more(or less) than the sum of their parts.

Has anyone put some thought into this?
I mean is it worth spending a cp to gain a vp?
How many points in "tax" would it be worth to get more cp's?
Ego in propria persona, non compos mentis.

Offline Blazinghand

• Warlock | Master of the Ravenwing
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Die for the Emperor or die trying!
  • Armies: Eldar, Orks
Re: Point Currency
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2018, 08:05:20 PM »
If I could reduce my army's size in points and get command points for it, what ratio would make it worth it?

Obviously, if it was 1-to-1 (I could give up 10 points to get 10 command points), I'd totally do it a bunch.

If it was 10-to-1 (I could give up  give up 10 points to get 1 command point), I could well end up exchanging a few points, like taking a 1980 point list with +2 command points against my opponent's 2,000 point list. Certain Craftworlds stratagems are worth it, particularly Webway Strike.

If it was 25-to-1, I might consider exchanging 20 or 30 points for a single command point, in a list that _really_ needed it. But at this point, you are saying something like "would you like an extra Fire Dragon?" which... I mean, I'd often prefer the extra Fire Dragon.

In my lists, which have a medium amount of command points, I'm often willing to usually spend a command point to get a victory point, like using Matchless Agility to tag an objective to complete a Maelstrom card.

PL and Points don't convert evenly with each other, so I can't say regarding those.
Quote from: Howard Zinn
There is no flag large enough to cover the shame of killing innocent people.

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2018, 08:37:21 PM »
a 2000pt game, is roughly 100 power level, but has no real comparison on a 1-1 basis. With points costs changing on units across the board (up or down), Power level never changes.

Command points have no real relationship to game size. I can easily make a 2000pt army with 3 command points, or over 12. It's all on army composition.

I'd disagree for CP being worth points, but I agree 25pts would probably be a fine cost per command point. Maybe a max of 3 being bought Via points.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Blazinghand

• Warlock | Master of the Ravenwing
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Die for the Emperor or die trying!
  • Armies: Eldar, Orks
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2018, 09:30:21 PM »
Oh yeah, certainly I wouldn't want to play a version of WH40k that had the ability to just exchange points for Command Points. I think that would be strange.
Quote from: Howard Zinn
There is no flag large enough to cover the shame of killing innocent people.