News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: What Secondary Detachment Should I Use  (Read 1535 times)

Offline TheOnlySpiral

• Keeper of the Book of Salvation; Last of the Timelords
  • Ancient
  • Returned from the Immaterium
  • Armies: Deathwing
What Secondary Detachment Should I Use
« on: July 29, 2015, 01:51:23 PM »
OK so after reading the Seventh Edition rules and the Seventh Edition Codex I think I have a basic grasp on some things. As I understand it, using the Deathwing Strike Force will get me tabled automatically, so I need to pair them with a secondary detachment, either Allies or from the Dark Angels Codex. So my question is what are people's recommendations for the "on table" force?

The options I have considered so far are:

• "Ravenwing Attack Squadron" would aid the Teleport assault of my Deathwing, but would not allow me to bring any additional Dreadnoughts to the field.
  • "Battle Demi-Company" which would bulk me up on Tactical Marines (and Dreadnoughts) but gobble up  most of my points.

What I mostly want from the on table force is to be able to take some Contemptor Dreadnoughts (from Forgeworld) and to make sure SOMETHING is still standing so on Turn 2 I can shock-and-awe with the Deathwing. Is there some other army I could use as allies? Or is the best bet to use Ravenwing and give up on the Dreads?
Quote from: David Holland
The Point of the Game is to be Playing it.

Quote from: Devern, The Unsung Hero
Actually, it pains me to say this, but Spiral is right.

Offline Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
Re: What Secondary Detachment Should I Use
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2015, 05:27:09 PM »
I would say that the best selection that goes with the Deathwing would either be to take the Ravenwing Attack Squadron if you want to keep your force on the table limited; or the Ravenwing Strike Force if you want something a little more durable and more likely to last.

One thing to consider with the Deathwing Strike Force detachment over the Deathwing Redemption Force formation, is that you are not restricted in how many Dreadnoughts you can bring.  Granted, the ones you have access to are a bit more expensive because they must be Venerable and in Drop Pods, but they are still an option.

If your Deathwing are focused on shooting, then the Attack Squadron would be a better choice.  It will keep the points down, give you some good quality ranged anti-tank with attack bikes that can hide behind LOS blocking terrain, and gives you a lot of range to play with on the reliable Deep Strike.  However, if you want to drop in and then beslubber some amphetamine parrot up in combat, go with the Ravenwing Strike Force.  For 400pts you can take Sammael, 3 Black Knights, and a Darkshroud.  Sammael is a well rounded HQ, and the Black Knights are a good combat unit that just gets better the more you put in there.  If you keep the Darkshroud close to the Black Knights, you can have a 2+ re-rollable cover save.  With a combination between their Scout move and the Strike Force's special rule, you can have them move 3' across the board and have them in an ideal position on turn two for when your Terminators come in; and the odds are in your favour that the bikes will survive, especially if you have Sammael in with the squad as well.
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...